Which Avet

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

Which Avet reels would replace or are comparable to these reels ?
    4/0 Penn /TLD 30
    6/0 Penn / TLD 50

I'm trying to get set up for a Trip on the Big E

I know I sound like a broken record but if I'm going to spend a wad of money I would like to do it as educated as possible.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

avet 30, avet 50

3. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I am asking because some of the reels don't have a 30 or a 50 in the model # yet some people seem to be using them in place of 30 or 50

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Also the 4/0w 2 speed. It's not capable of the high drag of the Pro 30 or 50 but certainly has adequate drag and line capacity for Big E tuna. The 4/0 is the predesessor of the Pro 30 and can usually be picked up significantly cheaper.

Fred

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

30 size 2 speed reels:
    Avet 4/0 - older model with self disengaging clicker.
    Avet Pro EX 30/2 - Replaced the above reel. More drag, no self disengaging clicker, a bit lighter.

50 size 2 speed reels
    Avet Pro Ex 50/2
    Avet Pro Ex 50/2 SDS - no cross bar on the top of the reel.
    Avet Pro Ex Wide 50/2

I think Avet also makes 1 speed 50s but I'm not familiar with them.

6. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

avet 30, avet 50
    amen

7. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

In my mind the Avet Hoo-X is more similar to a 4/0. The Avet 30 is comparable to the Penn International 30's and Shimano Tiagra 30's but could easily replace a Penn 6/0.

Nowadays Spectra has changed how people look at reels. The Hoo-X can hold 500 yds of 80lb spectra and also put out 24-28lbs of drag.

An Avet Pro 30 will also hold 600+ yards of 80lb, or more, if it is a wide model, and can put out a huge amount of drag, equal to, or more, than what old 50 Wides used to put out.

DBG

8. bunile

bunile Senior Member

I agree. Is that what I would use , no. But the closest match to the Penn 4/0 is the hoo -x . And the 30 for the 6/0. I would use a Penn Baja special and 30vsx. brighter and tougher.