Where to tie on Hammered Jig?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by fman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. fman

fman Guest

I was looking back on some pics of people using the hammered jigs and catching everything! I am new to jigging and have a few questions about it that particular jig.

1. Is it best to tie the jig directly to the mono leader or is it bestto use swivel and split ring?

2. Most come with a hook attached. If their is no split ring connecting the hook, how do you get the old hook off?

Thank you! More than likely more questions to come!

2. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

1. I have used both a swivel and tiesd directly to the mono (doubling it with a spider hitch) and found no difference.

2. cut the old hook off and use a split ring for the new hook or attach a siwash (open eye) hook directly to the jig.

3. workin

workin Member

I was looking back on some pics of people using the hammered jigs and catching everything! I am new to jigging and have a few questions about it that particular jig.

1. Is it best to tie the jig directly to the mono leader or is it bestto use swivel and split ring?

2. Most come with a hook attached. If their is no split ring connecting the hook, how do you get the old hook off?

Thank you! More than likely more questions to come!

Hey,

The hammered diamond jigs I'm familiar with come with a J-hook attached to the tail. If you want to leave that on, just tie your leader direct to the other end. A palomar knot is as good as any.

If you want to go to an assist hook rig, get rid of the J-hook and tie your leader to a solid ring with the assist hook cord attached to it, then attach the jig to the solid ring with a split ring. You can find basic assist hook rigging instructions on a lot of sites; try Angler's Pro Shop site.

The J-hook at the tail will catch fish fine. I like assist hook rig myself a little better because keeps the fish from using the jig as a pry-bar to get the hook out. Having said that, sometimes I get lazy and just tie 'em on right out of the box and go to it.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it depends....sometimes i tie right to the jig, sometimes i tie to a swivel/split ring. if its a hot bite i tie to whatever is the quickest. if you take too long, the bite will shut off and then you lost your chance.

5. fman

fman Guest

Thanks Guys,

I live in Atlanta, Ga and it is hard to get to the water. I love fishing but am new to jigging. I have a feeling I will become addicted to jigging.

From reading the board it seems that the hammered jig seem to simply work and out fish many lures. It is still hard for me to fathom because it seems like such a simple lure.

More Q...

1. When targeting Grouper is the J in the back better than the assist rig?

6. jig

jig Senior Member

I like the assist too, for same reason. I just attach the hook to the eye however. So I just have the jig and the assist; no other connections to mess with. And then I tie improved clinch knot directly to the eye.

A lot of folks like a loop knot for jig action. I do not, because I think the line wears thru (and breaks) faster than if the knot is tight. And I just dont think a little loop makes any action difference when jigging 300' down. Just my opinion though.

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Whats up fman. I prefer to use split and solid rings and use stinger hook

8. fman

fman Guest

Hi Spiney! With that configuration that is a stinger connected to the split ring on top of the lure correct?

9. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Just get hammered jig with good 4X J-hook and rock and roll. (I always prefer bottom J-hook for bottom dwellers. Certainly NOT scientifically proven to be better, just more confident with it! ;) ) You can always use heavy enough split ring and go solid to split to the top ring on jig if you're itchy to swap.

Get the TUNA model jigs here: Jigs, Rigs and Stuff... They also have option to use assist hooks if you want.

They have a store on eBay too under One Stop Jig Shop, or something like that. Do some searching and you'll see it. Same prices and probably easier to just go to his website so you can pick exactly which ones you want...

Later,
    Jason

10. workin

workin Member

From reading the board it seems that the hammered jig seem to simply work and out fish many lures. It is still hard for me to fathom because it seems like such a simple lure.

More Q...

1. When targeting Grouper is the J in the back better than the assist rig?

Hey,

We had a post going around a while back discussing why the hammered jigs work so well. Kilsong thinks the dimples make the water move in a way different from the non-hammered ones that's somehow more stimulative to the fish. I think he's probably right. As far as this jigging stuff goes, if he says tomorrow's Easter, you probably better start dying your eggs.

I love 'em especially because they're pretty cheap.

As for grouper, the assist rig is little better in my opinion, but man, don't sweat the rigging so much - tie that sucker on and stick 'em.

F

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

fman. I don't use a j hook on the bottom. i have them like that but prefer the stinger only.

12. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I think just tie straight to the top works best.assist hooks are usually better than what they come with.