360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to atempt at making this knot and would like to know where to buy a Page Ranking Bobbin. Wind-ons are kind of expensive to buy and I had 2 wind-on fall apart on big fishes. I saw PR Bobbin for sale at jigsdirect, but that's out of the states. Any vendors sell it here within the U.S?

·
361 Posts
Both those dealers sell the shout one, which is probably very good, but $180US, seriously?

The one from jigsdirect.com can be sourced out of Singapore, so perhaps check a few other sites there as well.

·
5,457 Posts
Buy one of these White River Fly Shop Standard Bobbin

And one of these Round Lead Wire Spools

Then wrap a piece of masking tape around the lead spool. When you get ready to use it wrap your braid 3 or 4 times around the arm of the bobbin to give you the desired tension you need (higher quality braid requires more wraps).

d-a

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
There used to be some lower priced pre-made options available. But like Doug said... A cheap fly tying bobbin and any weighted spool work fine.

If you go that route, try to find a large inside diameter bobbin with rounded inside and Outside edges or a plastic tip. The one I use was a Cabela's bargain cave item with large plastic tip... easy to thread large braid on a rocking boat.

For a spool, I keep my wife's empty thread spools, then fill them with split shot and epoxy. Then just drill a hole through the middle to hold the line.

Takes little time and costs <$10 Total.

G

·
Buy one of these White River Fly Shop Standard Bobbin

And one of these Round Lead Wire Spools

Then wrap a piece of masking tape around the lead spool. When you get ready to use it wrap your braid 3 or 4 times around the arm of the bobbin to give you the desired tension you need (higher quality braid requires more wraps).

d-a

this is exactly what ive used for a while now. the shout bobbin is very nice and there are reasons its more expensive (tensioning arm and braid holder is a great feature), but i havent broken down and gotten one.

being that ive lost 2 or 3 bobbins i only spent $10 on them haha.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
The Shout Page Ranking Knot bobbin is really expensive but it is one heck of a tool to make Page Ranking Knot, I have one and it is very nice. Another thing you can do is make your own.

Take a discard bobbin and wrap it with wire tape (best place to get this is a golf shop, they definitely got lead tape) wrap it around the bobbin a couple of times and you are set!

Get yourself one of this.

White River Fly Shop Extra Large Bobbin

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
you can pick one up at Cabelas or BassPro fly shop

the basic model starts at $3
the fancier one with more brass is $12

you will need to pick up a spool of thread, play around
with weight (lead tape) until you achieve the perfect
balance.

·
361 Posts
Irritatingly the rite bobbin is on ebay from $5 but the mutt dealer won't write Australia on parcels for some reason.

·
214 Posts
I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a bobbin. I have been tying PR's for years with a 4-6oz bank sinker and a rubber band. I would be scared to use a 180$ bobbin on a boat and have it shoot off into the water,but I'm sure it's nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
The best bobbin I have seen is one that RHale had. I think he said it was for archery but I could be wrong. It had two pieces of flat metal that came together and spread the line. It kept the bobbin straight throughout your knot... no line twist.
Maybe he'll see this and post a pic of it.

·
3 Posts
I have been using one that was intended for serving a bow string (archery) and it seems to work well. Maybe check the local archery shop. I paid about fifteen bucks for mine.

·
** Pak Lurah **
1,077 Posts
Like "d-a" and "Jason4606" said.
This is the cheapest alternative for bobbin tool to make Page Ranking knot.
Just wrap the lead-wire spool with masking tape or electrical tape and you have weighted bobbin spool.
For under $10 you don't have to worry to lost it :)

For $4.99 click here: White River Fly Shop Extra Large Bobbin

For $2.99 click here: Round Lead Wire Spools

And watch this on how to make PR Knot:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ichibahn said:
Like "d-a" and "Jason4606" said.
This is the cheapest alternative for bobbin tool to make Page Ranking knot.
Just wrap the lead-wire spool with masking tape or electrical tape and you have weighted bobbin spool.
For under $10 you don't have to worry to lost it :)

For $4.99 click here: White River Fly Shop Extra Large Bobbin

For $2.99 click here: Round Lead Wire Spools

And watch this on how to make PR Knot:

What size lead wire bobbin to get there are several sizes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts