Where to buy offshore lures & gear

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by JohnnyMax, Jun 10, 2020.

1. JohnnyMax

JohnnyMax Active Member

I went to the local Academy to look at the jigs. They had zero jigs over 1 1/2 oz.
    I can find them on Amazon and I just Googled and found TackleDirect.com
    Not sure what is a good price and what is a good lure.
    I plan to bottom jig offshore platforms.
    What are some good places to get good gear?
    Any suggestions?

Robin Howard likes this.
  2. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

a1flyfishr, north coast and JohnnyMax like this.

3. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Tackle World (aka jigging world), Tackle Now, jig-n-pop, Reel Seat, to name a few that come to mind, not in put any order as to which is best. Also like HJ said there are plenty of sponsors and guys selling right here.

Benny

Cubeye likes this.
  4. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

Where are you located? Houston has some good tackle stores, such as Fishing Tackle Unlimited.

Texas Rodsmith and JohnnyMax like this.
  5. JohnnyMax

JohnnyMax Active Member

I live North of Beaumont. Houston is a big trip, but it is doable. 2 1/2 hours away.

Gonefishings likes this.
  6. JohnnyMax

JohnnyMax Active Member

I live North of Beaumont. Houston is a big trip, but it is doable. 2 1/2 hours away.

7. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

I would not drive 2 1/2 hours just to look at FTU. I would stop in there on my way to Galveston during many of our family trips as it’s conveniently located next to the highway but I believe you will find better deals and better equipment here in the forum

JohnnyMax likes this.
  8. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I was born in Beaumont, and later worked all around there, from Port Artur to Center.

9. JohnnyMax

JohnnyMax Active Member

Well then you know the area. Not much in the way of offshore fishing supplies. We even lost our West Maine. Thank goodness for the Internet!

10. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

H4ljigs.com you’ll like those cheap jigs and they work. I have a few myself that got bit in January ( first time using them). A nice alternative when you feel like you want to jig despite toothy critters lurching who may cut your $30+ jigs

Cubeye and JohnnyMax like this.
  11. Br-tuna-f

Br-tuna-f Member

The fishermans hut - tampa - florida

jac0023 likes this.
  12. Texas Rodsmith

Texas Rodsmith Active Member

The Academy at Nasa Road 1 and Interstate 45 has got the best price I have found anywhere, online or in other stores, on Chrome plated Diamond jigs. They also have some very small hundred gram and less jigs as well. I really didn't look closely at those. But if you're headed to Galveston, at some point, it would be worth stopping just to load up on diamond jigs.

JohnnyMax likes this.
  13. Drundel

Drundel Member

On the way to Galveston is Cabelas, Serious Tackle is on 45 in La Marque. FTU is on Fuqua.

JohnnyMax likes this.
  14. Texas Rodsmith

Texas Rodsmith Active Member

I forgot about Serious Tackle. I second Drundel on that. He's got a fairly good selection of poppers and jigs.

JohnnyMax likes this.
  15. Gorge

Gorge Junior member

Site sponsors H4L and Striker Tackle both sell quality stuff at good prices.

tugasangler, Cubeye and lite-liner like this.
  16. manu

manu Active Member

My experience with TackleDirect has been very good. I live in northern Virginia, we have a good number of stores for freshwater fishing in the area but few for offshore fishing.

tugasangler and JohnnyMax like this.