Where’s all the ammo?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by a1flyfishr, Jan 7, 2021.

1. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

Years ago I invested in ALL the latest and greatest reloading equipment and supplies. I bought a hornady lock n load progressive press, electric case trimmer, dies, tumbler, billers, 1000ct brass, reloading books, and more. after years of letting it sit in my basement, I finally sold it all about 8 years ago or so. I never used any of it, I just never found the time.
    I’ve never wished I still had it, maybe I should now???

luckily I have accumulated ammo in the calibers I shoot, for a number of years, here and there. now I stare at 300pc boxes of 9mm and ask myself if I should sell them, since the going rate is insanely high. Should I sell all the “extra” ammo I have now??? Just keep enough to hunt with and a little extra? Could make a killing!! And eventually, ammo will be available again, I think lol.
    but no, I’ll just hold onto what I have. A bird in hand, ya know!!!

iyaman, a1flyfishr and jshorty like this.

2. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

And no question, this is equal to the toilet paper shortage of 2020.

iyaman and a1flyfishr like this.
  3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I never thought I'd see inflated ammo prices and poor availability of popular calibers, but it's here.
    Sold 3 boxes of 22 mag yesterday for $75. Yes, .50c/rd for 22 mag. went to a gun show the other day and scored some 5.56.
    thought I got a good deal @ .80c/rd. That used to be .25c/rd this time last year.
    I'm keeping all ammo for the stuff I actually have, and selling the rest and re-investing in more of what I need now.
    ....Anybody need 10 rds of .308 Norma magnum? talk about unobtainium...

iyaman and a1flyfishr like this.
  4. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

A few years ago there were shortages as well. Not sure how extensive, obviously not like today. My bush gun is chambered in .35 Remington, that round was nowhere to be found. Simply none anywhere. I had only about 1 box or so. A friend of mine found some at an outdoor store several hours from home and called me. The price was double what it should have been, but I had him buy 3-4 boxes for me. I’ve since added more and done the same for other calibers so that I won’t be stuck without, in the future.

Last winter I got into ARs and built one. Liked it, so I bought a bunch of lowers and then some parts to build one more complete. I also purchased some magazines and some .223 ammo. I should have bought more lol. .223 ammo is probably the #1 sought after caliber now, along with 9mm. I wish I had bought 100,000 rounds of each lol

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

It is bad man.... target ammo selling for $50 a box in 9mm is ridiculous....

looking to trade 450rds of 22lr , 50 556 green tips , 5 hst hollows for nib stella 8k with cash on your end hahaha... jk guys

iyaman, ReelMe and a1flyfishr like this.
  6. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member

Wow! .308 Norma magnum. There’s around I haven’t heard in awhile. Shipping ammo has to be a problem?

Benny

7. a1flyfishr

Im sure you’ll get an PM soon. Lol

Benny

8. a1flyfishr

I guess I’ll have to wake my press up and give it a workout restocking my .357 Herrett box.

Benny

9. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

Shipping ammo is pretty easy. FedEx ships it no problem.

a1flyfishr likes this.
  10. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I really dont think its gonna get any better anytime soon. The unfortunate Part that sucks its to expensive to just go to the range anymore. I use to go shoot 4/5 boxes at the range just for fun. Now a days thats an expensive trip....

a1flyfishr likes this.
  11. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

The ammo manufacturers are working as best they can to get out as much as they possibly can. Eventually, they will catch up to the people buying all they can find. People won’t buy ammo nonstop forever, eventually 90% of the people will say ok, I have enough. Just like toilet paper lol.

jshorty and a1flyfishr like this.
  12. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

LOL...A few more boxes of 6.5 Creed and I will have enough. Somebody above mentioned .223 hardest to find, but my vote would be 6.5 in any of the calibers, at least in Texas.

ReelMe likes this.
  13. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

I had said that .223 is probably the most sought after, a lot more people are looking for .223 than the 6.5 creedmore. But that AR I built last winter..... 6.5 Grendel lol. I only have about 15 rounds. Ooops

a1flyfishr likes this.
  14. untensan

untensan Member

I feel your pain. Being cheap, I still have about 800 lbs. of lead to cast for my hand guns from a local indoor range before they closed up. I reload .380, 9mm, & .45. Unfortunately, our Boy Scout camp (Honokaia), which is one of a handful of hand gun approved camps in the nation, has a lot of boys that like to experience hand gun shooting, but, due to liability issues, cannot shoot reloads. Al least I have an endless source of "once fired" brass.

a1flyfishr likes this.
  15. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Even reloading has its issues. You have to have a stock of components . Powder availability goes up & down , projectile availability goes up & down, but most of all cases used in wildcat calibres might only be produced in one run every couple of years. You have to be well ahead of the game with your supply of cases, they don't last forever & last shortest in the high pressure rounds.
    Here in Oz the only stuff we make is good powder, & military rounds , limited projectiles & everything else is imported.
    I have friends with very substantial armories, I only shoot 20 Vartag, 22LR & customised 22Mag these days. I learnt a decade ago that 221 Fireball cases ( the base for 20VT) is only made every so often. ditto the 22Mag subsonic rounds that my base in that rifle. ).
    Trying times for all of us , with cycles that repeat everytime we have political instability....... even just a perception of political instability starts a run on supplies..............ammo or toiletpaper.

16. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Here in Florida it hard to find ammo in popular calibers. Shooting ranges don't allow reloads so that make it tough to shoot on a regular basis. Spent Christmas in Alabama with friends and was able to stock up on everything but 38 sp ammo. There was a limit of 5 boxes of ammo per caliber per day so it wasn't difficult to bring home enough for me to last a while.

ReelMe and a1flyfishr like this.
  17. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Academy in Texas is only allowing 3 boxes (total) per customer, per day.
    The hawkers are in line at 6:30 every wednesday to hoard up all they can almost before it hits the shelves. it's shitty.
    $50/box for .380 FMJ ??? holy crap!
    I did score some Federal 5.56 brass fmj's for $15/box the other day:cool:

a1flyfishr likes this.
  18. a1flyfishr

$50. A box of .380 is absurd! It wasn’t long ago when a box of specialized rifle ammo was $50. I can’t imagine what a of box of Buffalo Bore 45.70 cost if you can find them. I still have a few boxes that I saved for retirement fund lol.

Benny

19. Drundel

Drundel Active Member

Yep. When I was in college, '96-2000 I would buy Winchester white box in 9mm for $10 for 100. I think .40 was $12 for 100. Man those were the days.

jshorty, ReelMe and a1flyfishr like this.