When to Crimp; 200# Mid/PR

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Yesterday a friend who fishes for GBFT stopped by with some 200# Momoi Monfilament, which as a light tackle fisherman I'd hadn't yet used. As many of you know, this is stiff stuff compared to 80# and below. So I've got a few questions about guidelines for handling heavy Mono/Fluoro:

--At what test line between 80# and 200# do you crossover from knotting to crimping?

--A splice is good to 100%, a Bimini/Mid/Page Ranking to nearly that and most other knots reduce line strength by a third. How strong are crimps? (They look like a compression fixture line doubler, so are they 100% like a Bimini?)

--What is the biggest Mono/Fluoro that it is possible/practical to attach with a Mid or P.R. knot?

Thanks as always,

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Yesterday a friend who fishes for GBFT stopped by with some 200# Momoi Monfilament, which as a light tackle fisherman I'd hadn't yet used. As many of you know, this is stiff stuff compared to 80# and below. So I've got a few questions about guidelines for handling heavy Mono/Fluoro:

--At what test line between 80# and 200# do you crossover from knotting to crimping?

--A splice is good to 100%, a Bimini/Mid/Page Ranking to nearly that and most other knots reduce line strength by a third. How strong are crimps? (They look like a compression fixture line doubler, so are they 100% like a Bimini?)

--What is the biggest Mono/Fluoro that it is possible/practical to attach with a Mid or P.R. knot?

Thanks as always,

I regularly tie a PR knot on 200lb Jinkai, and can tie certain fishing knots in it as well but always crimp it.

I crimp all 200lb and higher, most 130 and higher. Some of the softer leaders like Varivas I will tie in 130-170lb.

When done properly crimps are 100% like the pr/mid not

d-a

3. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Pamet,
    The knot/crimp/splice discussion continues :)

I would disagree whole heartedly that a crimp is 100%. However, it has been proven that aluminum crimps are much stronger than double sleeve copper.

As you said in the other thread nothing compares to the splice. I will say though for trolling applications I crimp everything over 80. Partially for speed. If I have to rig 60 hoo's for a day of trolling, i want them rigged identically so I can do them without thinking about it.

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

As an afterthought though, Glenn uses 200 for his AJ fishing here and no doubt is tieing a PR.

5. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Thanks as always,

I crimp all mono and FC 80# and over. Been doing it for years. Just lost confidence in my knot-tying ability at that size and larger. New soft mono, like Varivas and Fisherman Stealth, may make me re-evaluate that. But I'm comfortable with my crimps and thats the key for me.

Not sure how a good crimp tests out, but I've NEVER had one fail. Like knots, though, you have to do it right. I suspect a bad crimp is just like a bad knot.

Btw, another advantage to crimping is you can use chafing gear. Very nice if you're putting tremendous pressure at the point where the line connects to your jig/hook.

Not sure what the limit is for a mid or Page Ranking knot, but I'm also sure Glenn used a PR with 200 lb. leader. Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. In fact, due to the nature of the knot, not sure there is a limit.

6. pametfisher

D-a, Eastern, Tbaker, Thanks for the feedback. I've made a lot of decisions about how I'll rig this year (at least as I see things now) but I've bee thinking of the mono to terminal tackle connection for a while.

I don't want to tie a Bimini in that end since it's kind of big but I also realize that any knot I tie will reduce the leader strength by 1/3. If I go up in strength (65-80# or 80-100#) then I get less casting distance and importantly to me, less stretch for the same length leader.

Leadertec has some good crimping stuff and the 200# my neighbor brought over made me think this might be an alternative for the final connection--Crimp, chaffing and solid ring at the end of the leader.

Either that or I'll tie a knot and call it the fuse, knowing that's were the line will break--decisions, decisions.

Tbaker, how's the PR loop coming? (other forum)

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Its all about the leader ....

I cant use a stiff 200# leader and expect a good PR knot thats why all I use is soft shock leaders a they bite very well during teh knot tying. For Amberjack I tie a PR knot from 100# braid to 200# leader and have never popped a knot under any circumstance

Varivas and Jinkai is very soft and you can tie PR knots perfectly fine without any issues. 200# Momoi is too stiff therefore you will need to crimp

8. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Tbaker, how's the Page Ranking loop coming? (other forum)

Gotta do more testing. Its all about strength now. :)

9. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

200# Momoi is too stiff therefore you will need to crimp

Hmm, got a bunch of 200# Momoi. Was gonna bring it down to NC in March. May have to re-think that. :(

10. pametfisher

Today I had some time so I experimented with the Momoi 200# Mono and 80# JB Spectra. As Gman said, the Momoi Mono felt hard as a rock. It seemed as if it was going to be impossible to get a Mid Knot to sink in.

The 200# Momoi was pretty hard to handle so I tied a loop in one end, hooked it over a bolt and pulled the line tight, clamping the other end to a block on the bench, putting the leader under tension. The under-wraps (first layer) were always space by at least one line diameter. All knots were lubricated before pulling. I formed an angle to the leader as I pulled the braid. I could not tie this anywhere but in the shop.

The first attempt was about 14 under-wraps and 18 top-wraps with a Uni stop knot. As I pulled up the knot, it seemed like it was going to take but then at 40 lbs. force or so, it started to slip.

The second attempt was 15 under-wraps and 20 top-wraps and half-hitches as the stop knot. This knot started to catch but also slipped.

The third try was with 15 under-wraps and only 12 top-wraps, using half hitches as the stop knot. This time, the knot formed fairly easily. I pulled on this knot to 75 lbs. of force and it has permanently sunk into the Mono. I have attached a photo below, you can see the bulging of the mono. I wouldn't not have guessed this was possible given the hardness of the material.

My observation is that the under-wraps to top-wraps form a sort of gear ratio. More under-wraps compared to the number of top-wraps seem to create a lower, more powerful gear ratio.

Photo in Next Posting

11. pametfisher

Here is the photo. 200# Momoi Mono, 80# JB Braid

Attached Files: