360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Wheelguns!

7K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  CDB 
#1 ·
Who else has a soft spot for the venerable wheelgun?

I love me some wheelgun, and my favorite has to be the S&W 686 4" barreled combat revolver.

See less See more
#5 ·
I do

Colt Python/Security/SF bobbed
U.S Firearms (Colt blue print, hand fitted , SA)
Ruger GPs
Ruger Vaquero
S&W 686s

They don't exist without pictures.

d-a

#7 ·
By nice guys. Never really got into them myself. Guess just my generation. Semi autos is where I'm at

I've seen or held San's wheel guns, just picking at him. I'm in your generation too, but I have more wheelguns than semi autos. Actually I have 4 wheelguns and one Semi auto pistol with me right now.

d-a

#8 ·
I've seen or held San's wheel guns, just picking at him. I'm in your generation too, but I have more wheelguns than semi autos. Actually I have 4 wheelguns and one Semi auto pistol with me right now.

d-a

I know they are very reliable and everything but I just can't get past the picture in my mind of my grandfather carrying one around. Plus I never wanted to be a cowboy

#15 ·
Wheelguns. I wish I had every one that I'd ever owned. But I guess I went through stages and old guns left and were replaced with newer guns. My first handguns were revolvers. I remember a 6" Ruger Security Six and a 6" Dan Wesson. Then I got 2 S&W 686's, both 6" so that I could have one for each hand. When I joined the Police Dept my issue gun was a 3 1/2" model 27 and of all of the ones that left that's the one I miss the most.
Back when I could still see the sights, I was an excellent aimed shooter. I subscribed to the writings of Jeff Cooper and John Linebaugh and hunters like Ross Seyfried who took every kind of game with a handgun. I bought a 6" Freedom Arms .454 Casull and found a handload that claimed 2000 fps out of a 260 grain HP. I loaded em up and was able to put the first cylinder full into about 5" at 100 yards. I killed quite a few pigs and Texas whitetail with that gun and it's one I'll own when I die. I had John Linebaugh build me a 5 1/2" .500 Linebaugh that cost me a month's pay and threw an ounce of lead at 1300fps and would split the web of my shooting hand in about 3 rounds. That one left after a few years.

My revolvers are few now. Besides the Freedom Arms gun, I think just an 80's model 6" Python and a Smith 642 are all that are left. I shoot em rarely anymore but I think this season I'll tote the .454 with me when I hunt. I'm not sure that I'd take a shot much past 50 yards anymore but there were days when I rarely missed at 3 times that range.

The semiautos have taken their place now but in some applications they never will. As good as that custom 1911 might fit you hand, grab an old SAA Colt. The hottest Desert Eagle takes a distant back seat behind the biggest wheelguns. And when I drag the hammer back on my .454 and you hear the click, click, click, click, you just know that you're handling real machinery. Hell, I may just have to drag the Python out this year too.

Fred

#18 ·
When I think of revolvers, I think of 80's cop sitcoms and my Dad's and Grandfather's generation of beat cops. Nothing wrong with that. I think it would be fun to shoot .357 or .44 magnum. But, for CCW or home defense, I like my 9MM semi-autos. Much better chance for me to have multiple hits. Actually, planning on a Kahr Arms PM9 for carry.

#19 ·
With a model 629, you don't need multiple hits! Lol

I wish I still had mine. I bought it in 89. It was a classic hunter with an unfluted cylinder, and stock mono grips. I got in a bind in my first year of business and pawned it. I went to buy another one a few years ago, but I didn't want turn loose of a grand. I just don't shoot that much anymore.

Steve

#25 ·
Question is: can anyone actually shoot the damn things? Revolvers are pretty freakin accurate, I'd like to hear from the best off hand pistol shot on 360.

Steve

Are you shooting single action single handed, or double action with two hands?

d-a

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.