Whats your favorite popper?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Mitchw123456, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I've basically used nothing but the Tuna Hunters but there are so many brands out there now I feel its time to branch out a little and try soemthing new. Whats everyone favorite poppers/colors for yft?

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I honestly feel that the sub surface lures work even better than the poppers. The lures such as shibukis, baby runbohs and voladors outfish the tuna hunters, and plugs but that is just my opinion. The action of the sub surface lures really works

Anglers Pro shop carries them all, thats all I use now with an occasional surface bull and the OTI poppers

3. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

For tuna it's a tie between subsurface and pencil poppers, especially the yozuri surface cruiser.

Like both of them much better than chuggers.

4. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

How do you all fish the runbohs&valadoers ?

5. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

it just depends on conditions. sometimes a popper won't draw a strike, but a sub will get destroyed. other times, then poppers land the bigger tuna, you have to be versatile.

sometimes you just have to chunk, even if you hate it.

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey Gres!

I cast as far as I can past the lights and let it fall -bail open- for a 10 count. Then just lazily lift and crank down exploring from 3 feet down to about 50 feet of the water column all the way back.

Sometimes I try skipping it back holding the rod as high as I can. My last trip the sub-surface bait worked well even though we had a pick top-water bite.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I honestly feel that the sub surface lures work even better than the poppers. The lures such as shibukis, baby runbohs and voladors outfish the tuna hunters, and plugs but that is just my opinion. The action of the sub surface lures really works

Anglers Pro shop carries them all, thats all I use now with an occasional surface bull and the OTI poppers
    i need to get some and try them. when kil and i fished on the gulf eagle, he used a shibuki and did better than others using jigs and chunks. even had a swordfish hit the lure!

8. gman

gman Senior Member

generally I make a long sideways sweeping motion crank the slack, let it sit, sweeping motion crank the slack. Tuna love those damn lures. Like jt2hunt said ... you need to carry both types and when one doesn't produce try the other

9. kenner21

kenner21 Member

I like the frenzy angry poppers ..glow in the dark is my favorite color. They sink but you can rip them across the top if you fish it fast enough

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I honestly feel that the sub surface lures work even better than the poppers. The lures such as shibukis, baby runbohs and voladors outfish the tuna hunters, and plugs but that is just my opinion.

Those swimbaits you listed are great. I have found that keeping the tip close to the water with a slight sweeping motion and cranking fast works best. I lost three of those expensive lures to hoo's.:eek:

The best thing about poppers is that you see the attack on your lure. That's exciting. Always wait for the line to get tight before setting the hook on poppers. It's easy to jerk when you see the explosion on your lure. I call this pre mature ejaculation. Take your time wait to feel the fish.

I can't wait to troll these new swimbaits. Any plug that works for casting will work while trolling. I think I will rig them with wire while trolling in the GOM. Nothing wrong with trolling popper's either. If set properly on the second wake of the boat from the outrigger, it will pop itself then give an amazing bubble trail before popping again.

11. gman

gman Senior Member

I call this pre mature ejaculation. Take your time wait to feel the fish.

Now that is an instant classic, ha ha The shibukis will troll great especially the sinking version

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I have wondered about the possibility of losing lures to wahoo or cuda. How badly does a short wire bite leader--say less than 9 inches--hurt the bite on tuna if you are ripping the lure along anyway?

Russ

13. gman

gman Senior Member

Russ your fixated on inches ... 6 before now 9!!! I wouldn't use a wire trace on any lure unless your trolling I think it impairs the action. I was at an oil platform last season jigging and every drop I was hooked up. I started getting bit off so i added a wire trace ... no more bites. took it off and instantly got bit. Could be my imagination but I saw a difference

14. gman

gman Senior Member

in theory if you left a large live bait type loop in the wire where the lure attaches it should still swim

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Actually, I figured that would be the answer--ain't never no free lunch, is there.

16. JenGypeDwepe

JenGypeDwepe Guest

We provide the widest variety of fashionable Jewelry available on the internet today. mvyn

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I like to use the swim baits first, but you cant beat the explosive strikes you get from a large chugger.

d-a

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I always use swimbaits first and do long sweeping motion
    learned everything from the master gman

19. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I have had good results using surface iron. I really enjoy seeing the tuna slam the lure. The only problem is the hooks on the surface iron has cause me to lose several good fish to the trebles getting straightened out. I hve changed to siwash hooks hoping that will cure the problem.

20. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

for either of the reccomended swim baits, which colors would you pick for chasing blue fin on the east coast this year? i'd like to put 5 or 6 proven lures in my tackle bag. any help would be greatly appreciate!

21. d-a

d-a Senior Member

for either of the reccomended swim baits, which colors would you pick for chasing blue fin on the east coast this year? i'd like to put 5 or 6 proven lures in my tackle bag. any help would be greatly appreciate!

Matching the hatch will always work well, In the gulf Flying fish, sardine and mahi colored are my favorite.

d-a