What's wrong with this pic?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Twotems, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Twotems

Twotems Junior member

Hi I'm new here and I've been absorbing all the great info on Jigging from you guys for a while. I ran across this picture on Sportfishermen and was truly baffled that no one there commented on the rod action. The poster had put an extra guide on near the foregrip to prevent the line eating into the grip on his conventional outfit. I'm fine with that, but if you look closely you'll see the other guides are pointing downwards when loaded, like a spinning outfit. That can't be right. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

hmmm, you may be right, something about the line load on the third guide from the butt doesnt look right. almost seems that guide is unloaded

3. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Acid wrap (or spiral wrap) rods start like any other conventional rod but then gradually turns into one much like a spinning rod at the top.

4. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

It's called a spiral wrap rod! Stripper guide on top, bumper or transition guides to keep the line off of the blank while the line goes to the bottom of the rod. It makes the rod much more stable under a load, the rod doesn't try to twist in your hands. Plus you don't have to use tons of tall guides to keep the line from hitting the blanks under load!

By the way, that's me! That is a Calstar Grafighter 800H cut down to 6'6" from the butt end because Fed Ex crushed 8" of the butt during shipping.

Some fluke rids I did that way, they show the guides better:
    [​IMG]

5. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

And the first 180 guide doesn't always have to load; sometimes it is there just to guide the line to the middle of the next guide. The rod in the first picture has 2 transition guides, I usually use 1 bumper guide.

6. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Beggin your pardon, I was just being a smartarse about the original question. Blame the rum

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Only thing I see wrong with th picture is the snow.

d-a

8. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

No problem Saga!!! I went NUTS trying to get that first 180 guide to load until I realized it didn't NEED to load! I was using some very flexy blanks and the guide spacing was driving me nuts....not that it is a long road to travel! :)

I figured it would have been the pic of me using my Spheros 8000 spinning reel on that rod to test the spacing before I got the Avet out! That one really messed with people's heads!!
    This one:
    [​IMG]
    The spheros was the only reel that would do 25# of drag besides the avet, but the avet doesn't fit the PSS reel seat very well!

9. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Lol, now you have made my day. Mind if I use that pic to mess with some minds on some local forums here..... :)

10. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Go for it!!!

11. Twotems

Twotems Junior member

Lol, now you have made my day. Mind if I use that pic to mess with some minds on some local forums here..... :)

Well it messed with my head! :D

Thanks for the explanation Taz, I was going to send you a PM but it's better others learn this way just like I have.

12. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I know what is wrong with this picture:

Those porches have to be at least 60" to keep.

13. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

You should see the looks when I hook into my avalanche and start pulling! I got yelled at by my dad for pulling on the railings; they were getting loose from the 40# and 50# Planer Rod drag pulls!

14. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

If you want, I can get you a pic of my Saragosa 18000 on my UL 5' trout rod! I found out that it fits into a 16mm reel seat :)

15. jig

jig Senior Member

What's all that white stuff in your yard?

16. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Snow :) The pics were taken during the winter in New England...lots of snow around usually! I test casted my surf rod in 1' of snow, when it was 15 degrees out!

17. jig

jig Senior Member

Ah, we had that in Houston once a few years ago. The whole town shut down and one out of three people wrecked their car. :)

18. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Sadly enough, that's what happens up here usually with the first snowstorm or two. People see a couple flakes and either panic and get into an accident, or drive 10 miles an hour. Then we have the idiots doing 80 in a snowstorm because they are in a big 4wd pickup truck!

Plus our forecasters are notorious for hyping up the "storm of the decade" every storm we get, and then the storms happen to "veer" some other directions and we get nothing. Or not predicting a storm to hit and we get 18" in 5 hours. Oops!

19. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Winter is about to set in over here in Sweden and will stay until April. A few years back we got 6-7 feet during a weekend, lots of shoveling ...