What's wrong with Powerpro

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by luna sea II, Sep 17, 2009.

1. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

I've got braid on 16 outfits on my boat from western filament, izorline, offshore angler's brand, spiderwire, and powerpro in 50-130lb. other than the coating on powerpro which I don't like I cant tell much difference in performance. am I the only one?

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Many have had line breakage on PP. I notice it does fade easy and flattens out. I never had no problems with it and never used them anymore since replacing them with Tuff Stuff.

3. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

i've had several too many "mystery" breaks with power pro. i've been sticking with jerry brown and can't say anything bad about it.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i've had several too many "mystery" breaks with power pro. i've been sticking with jerry brown and can't say anything bad about it.

same....had breaks i couldnt explain. just wasnt worth it when otherlines for similar prices held better.

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Same here. Had a few bad spools that would break waaay under the stated line class on random areas. Plus the coating flakes off and makes a mess of your guides when you first use it.

6. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

I use Powerpro on several reels for pike without problems. I've tried it between 10-65#. The 65# is very thick due to the coating. But several friends have bought spools that had lumps in the threads and broke at low loads. It seems that the quality of this line is unstable.

I have one Torium 20 loaded full with 30# PP and it has been good. But I'm now going to fill up three reels for seafishing and won't gamble with PP on these.

7. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

last few trips out, friend has had some really WIERD breakoffs, just strange.

breaking way under lb rating, in wierd spots, just mysterys lol

Jesse

8. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I find PPro frays very easily, loses it color fast (yellow) and has proven to have lots of mystery break offs.

Perhaps I've gotten bad batches or counterfeit product, but regardless, I don't like it.

9. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Mystery breakoffs,frays easily,looses its color.After using suffix,I would never buy PP again.

Bottom line is there are better braids for the money.

10. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I am thinking about some of that color coded OTI for my Torium 30. Any comments? The 65lb. should be enough for GOM/Boomvang type fishing?

I have some PP too. Sometimes when I am casting Jigs it just snaps. Maybe I could be a little smoother, but it sucks to see $10.00 jig splash out in the distance.

Lose a couple of lures and what you pay for line becomes not so important.

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am thinking about some of that color coded OTI for my Torium 30. Any comments? The 65lb. should be enough for GOM/Boomvang type fishing?

Havent used the 65, but i love the 80 and 120 OTI

d-a

12. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

My bad its the OTI #60, maybe I should try the #80.

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have had dozens of breakoffs with PP while jigging and several while bottom fishing with way below breaking strength so you couldn't give me a life time supply for free. I switched to Jerry Brown and Tuf-Line XP and have not had any problems whatsoever. So if it is even worth the possibility of failure to you by all means keep using the garbage.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

60 is good for here. youll be able to use a lighter jig too bc of the thinner line.

15. bassman100

bassman100 Guest

I too have also had problems with powerpro. It seemed like non-stop breaks. I switched all my reels to fireline and have been very happy!

16. calebw

calebw Member

Mystery breakoffs, the line is really coarse where JB is smooth like silk

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

My bad its the OTI #60, maybe I should try the #80.
    go with 80, you will still get over 300 yds on the torium 30.

18. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

Like a lot of people, I had dozens of unexplainable break-offs. Also, power pro quality just sucks. After every trip, I had to cut off a couple of feet of line cause of all the fraying, not counting what I cut off on the boat. I switched to Daiwa Boat Braid and can't even think of a time when the line broke once, unintentionally. I also have had to only cut off like two inches of line from fraying in the seven or so trips with it. I've been happier ever since :)

19. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

go with 80, you will still get over 300 yds on the torium 30.
    I was going to say go with 60 because he would get more capacity and would still not be fishing over 30% of breaking strength...

20. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I like the depth indicator idea, but $95.00 of OTI line on a $200.00max torium, am I being realistic? but like I said, lose a couple jigs and the quality of the line becomes more important. I mainly fish GOM out of Texas and FL. So chances of anything more than a buck fifty are not that good.