360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do gimbal covers pi$$ anybody else off. I've gone to spinning gear and fight fish almost exclusively with the covers on. A bare gimbal in the gut is at a minimum painful and even in a lot of rod belts disadvantageous.

However, I understand that a lot of folks, especially the conventional crowd still prefer a gimbal and for good reason, it helps keep the rod properly oriented. Every now and again, even with a spinner, you might need to harness up for an extended fight.

My problem with the covers is that they're either loose enough to get off easily (and lose) or they're on so tight that you couldn't get them off when you do want to. Finding new ones is a pain because of the different sizes of gimbals.

Why doesn't someone make a gimbal with a couple of coarse threads near the top and a matching cover that you could twist on and off? Gimbal would be easy to get to, cover would stay on and you could even get different covers with different contours.

I lost 2 covers on my last trip. (They never seem to fall where you can find em).

Does anybody make anything like this?

Fred

·
1,553 Posts
hahaha! fred, this is funny because i picked up your gimbal cap many times during our trip. i doubt they have anything like this but if i were you id just glue it on. lol.

·
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me Brian. When I get replacements I'm gonna fill em half full of epoxy, jam em on and wipe up the mess.

Fred

·
** Pak Lurah **
1,077 Posts
Fred, you can replaced the existing gimbal with rubber gimbal.
No more losing gimbal cap and less gut pain......:)

G

·
the gimbal on a spinner is important to me as i use a rod huki on the spinner when i happen to hook into a decent fish. also i can use the gimbal to fight a fish in my smitty plate and put even more pressure on that fish. if you don't like it then glue the gimbal cover on the rod and go about your business....rick

·
26 Posts
We have plastic gimbals on a pair of our lighter poles and they come with screw off covers....Actually did not know there was a gimbal until my rod builder asked how I liked them.

·
2,835 Posts
I used to just toss them in the trash can. I no longer toss them as I have found a new home for them. No more broken shot glasses from your friends that tend to have one to many.:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Mr. Bill 5 stars for creativity!

Fred if you epoxy them on your next tuna will be a 170lb.er
and you will need your harness;)

·
3,718 Posts

I love these rubber gimbals. I put them on a few of my rods and I plan to put them on a few more.I'll bet we'll see a lot more companys using these in the future.

G

·
personally i am not a fan of rubber gimbals if you're dealing with high pressure. i just dont like the bend.

the belt i have (JM) has a gimbal pin and i really like it with rods with gimbals. when a tuna is vertical on a long put the rod under your arm, lean ovre the rail (or just put it on the rail) and fight it that way. Esp with a popping rod you're losing leverage by the high rod angle (and exposing the rod to a severe bend and potential to break).

for jigging rods the belts are nice if a tuna is a bit out in front, but again i just dont like them much for a vertical fish. due to how most jigging rods are made the angle on the fisherman doesnt prove itself conducive to a belt. if the fish is in front of you more then its all good.

tuna corkscrew themselves to the boat. the less you fight the easier they come in.

anyway, JMO.

·
3 Posts
I have the solution, I was reading through some stories and read that you are having trouble with the gimbals on your rods. I too was having this issue, they were painful, scaring my decks and ruining everything they came into contact with through transport.

I did some research and saw that the only protective cover that made sense was the mushroom cap, but the mushroom cap doesn't allow you to lock your rod back in the holder or belt, and who wants to take it on and off during the fight. Majority of the time you just lose it and say "the hell with it".

So I patented and created a Protective Gimbal cover that will still have the functionality while staying on the rod and protecting your boat and your body, solving all your issues! Please visit my website:

(saltarmour.com)

Tom
[email protected]

Is it just me or do gimbal covers pi$$ anybody else off. I've gone to spinning gear and fight fish almost exclusively with the covers on. A bare gimbal in the gut is at a minimum painful and even in a lot of rod belts disadvantageous.

However, I understand that a lot of folks, especially the conventional crowd still prefer a gimbal and for good reason, it helps keep the rod properly oriented. Every now and again, even with a spinner, you might need to harness up for an extended fight.

My problem with the covers is that they're either loose enough to get off easily (and lose) or they're on so tight that you couldn't get them off when you do want to. Finding new ones is a pain because of the different sizes of gimbals.

Why doesn't someone make a gimbal with a couple of coarse threads near the top and a matching cover that you could twist on and off? Gimbal would be easy to get to, cover would stay on and you could even get different covers with different contours.

I lost 2 covers on my last trip. (They never seem to fall where you can find em).

Does anybody make anything like this?

Fred

·
135 Posts
Where do you get these Freddy?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts