What's up w/ Okuma?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by tdwcapt, Feb 19, 2009.

1. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Looks like Okuma is getting their crap together. Anyone use either the Cavalla or the Cedros? And look at the max drag on the biggest Cedros spinner! :eek:

Okuma

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

drag rating isn't everything. Look at the Fin Nor. It has a high drag rating but is a terrible reel. There is a lot that goes into making a high quality spinning reel and drag is only part of it.

Maybe I'm wrong and who knows, maybe this will be a great reel. but i doubt it.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

dont like Okuma

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

All spinners can put out a lot of drag, it just depends on how tight you tighten the knob. What is desirable is a smooth drag at all drag ranges. If they can get that in a reel that is smooth and with strong gears then they have something

d-a

5. DanS

DanS Senior Member

One can measure the value of a particular fishing reel by the volume of Internet scams it generates. :)

6. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Take a closer look guys. The Cavalla is a result of design and production collarberation between Okuma and Tiburon with input from Cal Sheets.

Another thing is that if Mike at Charkbait is pimping it you can be sure that the feedback is genuine. In fact, before he sells it, he tells the history about why Okuma has been a substandard product in the past. If nothing else, you owe it to yourself to check it out before you just blast a product simply by name recognition.

I would like to see some more info. I.E. drag ratings, performance testing, user feedback, etc. I wonder if that Cavalla 20II (topless frame) can fish 60lb out of the box and get 28-30lbs of drag without mods.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

he also says shimano sucks, so should i believe that 100% as well? I get what you're saying, and it may be worth the $110 or whatever they cost to give this a shot, but I'll err on the side of skepticism until we see real reviews/results.

8. workin

workin Member

Hey,

"Feel the Power," ha! I ain't impressed with my Okuma. If they are improving I'm glad to hear it, but they'll have to go quite a ways before they get another nickel of my money. I'm a middle-tier user; I don't buy the high-end stuff as a rule. Okuma's design ain't bad, it's just that everything is too loose on it; too many cheap parts. Similarly-priced Penn and Shimano stuff is a better deal, in my opinion.

F

9. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I won't bash it, but I also won't expect much from a reel that costs 40% less than a spare spool for a stella.

Lets say you give it a try and hook that cow tuna we're all looking for on a popper. After you lose the cow b/c it trashes the reel, did that experience "only" cost you $110 bucks?

10. papio

papio Senior Member

I use an upgraded Salina SA-80. Great fun reel on PBs....smoooooth.

11. fish on

fish on Member

okumas are crap bought the so called salina and the gear broke on the first fish. when i opened it up and took a look at the gear it seemed to be made of some very cheap material(zinc).there so called high density gears

12. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Okuma Cavalla prices from charkbait start from $329 to $449
    The new design with Tiburon may be good but at that price - I rather spend on Daiwa, Shimano, Avet or Accurate reels

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

tdwcapt: How about you getting a few and getting back with us skeptical people and let us know if they are worth their weight in salt.

14. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

tdwcapt: How about you getting a few and getting back with us skeptical people and let us know if they are worth their weight in salt.

Guys, settle down! I don't know that this reel (Cavalla) is any good. I'm simply asking. It just raised my eyebrows that Okuma had teamed up with Tiburon and Cal Sheets. I sent a PM to the guy who is the head of their marketing department (Ric Hawthorne), a very reputable guy, whom I've known for a while, to get some info on these new reels.

I agree that Okuma has an uphill battle to climb in this market. But I'll tell you this, I spend a crap load of time offshore as a crewboat captain and get to spend a crap load of time fishing. I absolutely wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these new reels to test them out. And mark my words IF THEY SUCK, I'LL SAY SO! AND IF THEY DON'T I'LL LET YOU KNOW.

Hey Sea Crappie: I like the way you think! But what you don't know about me is I never care whether or not I lose a fish (just like a woman!) cuz I fight em like I don't care whether or not I lose em!

BTW: I'm not affiliated with Okuma.

15. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

tdwcapt:
    Hey I'm not excited I am curious also. I would love to try one myself but I won't be the first dummy to do so. How did you get ahold of the fellow you feller in their marketing department? I love jigging and I hate loosing a fish and that is why I go. To whoop upon em.

16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

But what you don't know about me is I never care whether or not I lose a fish (just like a woman!) cuz I fight em like I don't care whether or not I lose em!

With the amount of time you spend on water as a crewboat captain and the amount of time available to you for fishing while on the crewboat, I guess it wouldn't matter much if you lose fish here and there since you get to fish so much anyway.

Most of the folks on here are not in the same situation, so we spend a lot of our time and money ensuring our gear is up for the task when hooked onto that "fish of a lifetime" or "trophy fish" for the times when we do get to fish, so you can understand when we only seek the best of the best proven reels to tackle those big boys. Just my thoughts...

17. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Oh hey I get it. Look. If I could afford an arsenal it would be on the boat with me. But I can't. So with that in mind, even though I get to fish a lot, I still need bullet proof tackle - but at an affordable price.

Case in point: My go-to rigs are a couple of "murdered out" 14 year-old custom 40lb sticks, one with a custom 4/0 and the other with a Baja Special.

If I had to write a check and it didn't matter I would take a Trini 40N or Avet Hoo-X for slinging iron and poppers at hoos and tuna and an Avet JX 2 speed for dropping down for AJs, grouper and snapper.

Also, when I said I don't care whether or not I lose a fish, that's mainly true. But I've discovered that I catch more and bigger fish with that attitude cuz I end up fighting much harder. The point is that you can put an amazing amount of pressure on your gear, much more than you'd reasonably think. And when you do, you find out what you and your tackle's limits are.

Attached Files:

18. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

As many times as I blew up my Torium, you couldn't give me a Trini, because the head dog out in Cal Shimano told me they have the exact insides as the Torium, the only difference is the side plates are machined instead of graphite. Thanks but no thanks. I would go with the Aleuchnos gorilla 12 if I had money.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

spineyman the trinidad vs torium thing has been discussed to death. the summary is a trinidad under the 40/40N/50 is similar to the torium, but the 3 i just mentioned are not the same reels.

20. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

That might be the case but I won't be spending my hard earned money to find out I guarantee that.