360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looking to buy a good jigging reel but don't know what to look for.what do you guys use and suggest.i bought a avet mxl 5.8 and i don't think it has enough drag to handle a big fish.

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a saltist 40h,avet lx 6.0 and also a avet mxl 5.8.i planning on getting a oti 300 gam blank and do a acid wrapped rod for jigging.

·
3,241 Posts
well the saltist should be fine.I believe the max load for that blank is 20lbs but i could be wrong.Someone should chime in with the facts soon.I jig the saltist 40 low gear with 50lb braid drag usually 15 to 17 lbs .It handle just fine.it also depends on how "BIG" the fish are.

·
131 Posts
abz,

Much depends on who you're going to use the reel; the fish you're targeting and the depth of water -- though more the fish than the water depth.

What'll work for red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico won't necessarily work for 70-100lbs tuna.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
many good reels available

I am sure they're all good, but I have experience
with the ones below

Shimano Torsa 16
Torsa 20
Alutecnos Gorilla 12
Alutecnos Gorilla 12C
Trinidad 14, 16, 40

Torsa 16, 20 and Alutecnos 12C are my favorites
Small size and torque-y smooth gears

·
2,622 Posts
very good observation by Grifft. You need to identify you target species and where you'll be fishing. Then you've got to match the rod and reel to the type and size of lures. It's no wonder I have an entire wall of tackle; LOL Then you need to decide if the weight and balance of a two speed is worth having the extra gear choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shimano Ocea Jigger or Diawa Saltiga30T. They beat anyting by Avet or Accurate :eek:

Dale

I didn't mean any disrespect to Shimano and Daiwa. Acets and Accurates are in their own league though. I used to own a Boss 665N that caught snapper, dogfish, good size tuna in my hands then sold it to a friend who uses it to fight BIG bluefin and kingfish and it's only been sent to accurate once for service. I say American gear is still the best.

·
444 Posts
I didn't mean any disrespect to Shimano and Daiwa. Acets and Accurates are in their own league though. I used to own a Boss 665N that caught snapper, dogfish, good size tuna in my hands then sold it to a friend who uses it to fight BIG bluefin and kingfish and it's only been sent to accurate once for service. I say American gear is still the best.

Ah, the old "only American is good enough" argument. Unfortunately, in this case, simply not true. Don't get me wrong, Avet and Accurate make some great equipment, but so do Shimano and Daiwa. The Ocea Jigger (and its Trinidad counterpart) and the Saltiga are great reels which have proven themselves over and over on big fish. In fact, for big fish jigging reels, Avet still has a ways to go to produce any reel to compete with those (and the Alutecnos and the new Jigging Masters).

The big difference is NOT that Avet and Accurate are American, but they're small companies (particularly compared to Shimano and Daiwa). That means 1) they'll listen to what we have to say and 2) they can adapt quickly. Case in point. In the last couple of years we, and others, have destroyed several Boss 665's on large AJ's in North Carolina and the GOM. Sorry, but the gears in the original 665 just weren't up to the task and they broke. To their credit, though, Accurate listened to these experiences, adapted and, voila, we have the BX2s. Much heavier gears to handle the big fish and high drags we're using. That's a great response and we'll see how the new reels fare over the coming year. But, hate to say it, the Ocea and Saltigas are already built to handle those fish.

·
164 Posts
Ditto on the advice to think in terms of target species. Also how you intend to jig. I use a Sealine 6:1, but exclusively for zipping metals up and down through (mostly) the upper water column. Works great for blackfins: they're not so big I have to grind and the reel has a legit 15# of drag (more is available, but risky)--I've measured it at 20 off the rod tip.

Problem is, if I get a grouper when fishing for snaps, or a YFT in the middle of a bunch of blacks, those eyelets will hurt coming out of my a$$.

If what you're asking is for a good all-round reel to jig with braid, then a 2 speed, 3/0 size (in whatever price range) seems a good start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ah, the old "only American is good enough" argument. Unfortunately, in this case, simply not true. .

I promise it's not that. I know that quality is where you find it, and indeed if money was not an issue I would get one of those Everol Vertical Jigging reels (Italian Made). I was only speaking from my own experience and personal likes/dislikes. But I totally respect your opinion even if I don't agree with you.

·
73 Posts
With the Accurates and the Avets .... can't you hear and feel the gears grinding? They are in their own league............The Accurates can be worked to reduce the gear noise...for the Avets ya well , ya get what you pay for................ Shimano & Daiwa are much smoother.

·
1,102 Posts
Smoothness is over-rated and the feel of Avets/accurates has never really bothered me. Seems to me that Daiwa and Shimano are playing catch-up with Avet and Accurate with their new Saltist 2speeds and Tallicas. Time will tell how these new reels hold up. Avet finally played some catch-up with accurate and their raptor series...but time will tell with those as well.

·
Site Sponsor
1,504 Posts
ok, I'll play!

For the money, and tough fish, I will take theSaltigas but I am closely looking at the Fin-nor Marquessas as a cheaper but still good alternative. They are not really being distributed yet and are working out final bugs.

Concerning Avet, and their new very small and tough 3 speed, it seems like a joke to me to have a 2/0 size reel with 2 speeds? Seems like it would have X inches picked up at low speed and X + 2 inches on high! Does it realy make sense for anyone?

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the replys and opinions on there stories, once i figure out what i want i'm going to upgrade to a better reel with more drag than what i got.i hate to offshore and all the sudden i max out my drag on my reel and loose a big fish.i'm leaning to saltiga or a trini.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts