What To Use While Slow Pitch Jigging, Large And Heavier Jig or Smaller And Lighter one?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jon holsenbeck, Jun 13, 2020.

1. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I'm very much a novice at SPJ but I'm thinking about using a larger and heavier jig instead of one that's just heavy enough to reach bottom and and stay vertical. I'm thinking that using a larger and heavier jig will help me stay vertical longer and be attractive to larger fish, like using a 300g jig instead of a 250g jig. What are your opinions on this?

2. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

big fish eat small jigs and small fish eat big jigs, fish the lightest jig the conditions allow and save yourself the fatigue.

3. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I a lot of times fish heavier jigs for that reason or to get to the bottom first but they take much more of a load on you. Try it and see

r00kieAngler and jon holsenbeck like this.
  4. r00kieAngler

r00kieAngler Junior member

Narrow jigs will get you down faster but doesn't necessarily mean you'll be vertical longer. Wide profile jigs will require heavier weight on moderate to fast current.
    Gauge the current on your initial drop. You might have to change jigs 2-3 times but its the name of the game. Staying vertical in the strike zone will get you fish. The rest will be trial and error.

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  5. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

Larger and heavier does not necessarily equate to more vertical. Let me explain, and let's take a few jigs as an example.

Jig #1: SeaFloor Control Gawky. Extremely slow to fall, great jig for long fall, but if there's any current whatsoever, you will need to bump the weight of the jig substantially.

Jig #2: SeaFloor Control Arc. Falls like a rocket, great for long fall and technical movements, and will stay vertical better even when using lighter weight.

So, now we have our conditions. Let's say we're in 250ft of water, 1.5knts current give or take. Minimal wind drift.

In these conditions, if I was using a Gawky, I would use a 350g jig in order to stay vertical. However, if I was using an Arc, I would probably use a 200g jig. The weight and drag/resistance is going to affect the action tone of your presentation, which is another variable to consider, which will also affect how vertical you stay.

Different jigs, different falling profiles, both staying vertical in the water by adjusting your jig selection to the conditions.

I've said it before, but it still holds: time on the water, time on the water, time on the water.

6. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I think you misspelled time on the water

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  7. Lilmie28

Lilmie28 Member

I would decide based on the current strength.
    One of the ways is to look at the degree of lone slack. Optimally a straight down line is preferred as the jig actions would be more favourable.