What to do with your tuna?

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by dmax_fisher, Jul 8, 2008.

1. dmax_fisher

dmax_fisher Member

Forgive me for being rather ignorant on the matter. But, a couple of friends are trying to persuade me to get on a 48 hr trip out of the Dolphin Docks later this year. I've done quite a bit of offshore fishing over the years, but never for tuna - only kingfish, ling, dorado, AJ, grouper, snapper, etc. I'm not much on eating tuna. What does one do with the large tuna one may catch? I know tuna can bring big money if in the right condition. Is there some place to sell these fish? Additionally, what does one do with a large grouper? Is such a large fish adequate for table fare? Smaller grouper, I know, or excellent table fare!

Thanks in advance..

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Send them to me no problem, hehehe. I assume you're talking about partyboat and unless it's a charter, DDocks don't normally have 48hr tuna trips. Good luck...send fish to me...

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

It is illegal to sell fish in the state of Texas without a license.
    I am sure you'll have no problem with giving away the tuna in advance if you ask friends.
    Large grouper eat just fine.

4. dmax_fisher

dmax_fisher Member

That didn't take long! Thanks! I guess I didn't throw Tuna into the same category as other game fish in the state.

I knew it would end up being an ignorant question...

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

If you're lucky and know a restaurant that'll buy it off you then that's an option. but yes, this is illegal.

i would be glad to take some, as would most of your coworkers, friends, etc.

6. dmax_fisher

dmax_fisher Member

With everyone wanting me to give the tuna to them, obviously I must not be doing something right when cooking it...

Let me hear some pointers...

What's some of your best tuna recipes?

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

8. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

If you enjoy eating your catches of other fish that you listed, tuna fits right in there. The care that your fish receives goes a LONGGGGGG way towards maintaining the quality of the food on your table. Sooo...

Keep fresh water OFF the meat at all times. Eat it fresh as much as possible. Think steak. Treat fresh tuna like a prime cut of beef.

Home canning tuna is a very rewarding experience. It is so way better than anything you buy in a supermarket. Freeze it using a vacuum sealer.

Welcome to the board. :)

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Like Will Rogers said..Kind of..

I never met a Tuna I did not like.

Although Blackfin might come in numbers and released or converted to bait
    on longer trips searching for yellow fin. On a day or over night trip a Black fin
    is a good catch and rewarding to eat also. Tuna baked, broiled, grilled, is the chicken of the Sea.

The largest Grouper I have ever eaten was around 75 lbs (it took a while with the side dishes) but the quality of meat was extremely nice.

but yes keep your tuna cool as possible and keep the water off of the meat while cutting. They have no guts or blood to mess with to speak of.
    Once bled and chilled when landed.

Uncle Russ may be able to offer a receipe for Tuna Jerkey...:D

K2

10. gman

gman Senior Member

I knew it would end up being an ignorant question...

Not an ignorant question at all, if you don't fish for tuna and don't eat it but yet see it being sold everywhere I can see why you would ask. There is a huge market for bluefin tuna in the northeast and actually any fish caught over 73" is legally the property of the boat and they can sell it for profit without cutting you in on it although most boats will refund your trip cost

Commercially you can bail tuna all night and sell them as well if you have a license to commercially sell fish

You should bleed and gut your tuna right away to maintain the meat quality and do not rinse the steaks with water it will contaminate the flesh

11. papio

papio Senior Member

Here's a simple way to prepare it. Get some fillet (thickness your choice) pat dry and shake in seasoned crushed coutons (finer the better) and saute/fried in butter till golden brown and enjoy. It's my most favorite way to cook tuna.

12. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

some suggestions:

1. land it gently onto the deck.

2. bleed it onto the deck for a few minutes then place it onto a snowy bed of flaked or crushed ice or better yet into ice-cold brine slush. The Dolphin crew and others in Port A will probably do this pretty well w/o your mentioning anything. If you want to know more, there is a great deal written about this by seemingly very knowledgeable folks.

3. Do not allow the tuna to lie about on deck and you certainly do not want it to lie on a hot surface (such as the concrete apron at DDocks) in the summer

4. Either have it cut into "half loins" (the cutters at Dolphin Docks have done a good job of this for me many times) or "cark" (search youtube.com for "carking tuna:" it's about albacore but works for other tuna) the tuna yourself to remove the loins, being sure to save the belly--best part. If you have someone else cut the tuna, be sure to ask for the belly.

5. Do not wash with water; just pat dry w/paper towels and vacuum pack.

6. You can enjoy it raw w/pickled ginger slices and any of various sauces (soy, teryaki, ponzu, unagi) and maybe some sesame seeds.

7 You might cook it lightly: cut into thin (1/8th to 1/2 inch thick) slices (cut across the grain of the loin) and drop onto a heated skillet into which a little oil (maybe soy oil w/a touch of hot pepper) has been placed but be sure to remove as soon as the tuna surface changes color and serve immediately.

8. My experience is many folks who don't like cooked tuna are remembering overcooked (it gets very dry) tuna. If you cook it, it's just fine to cook the blood, too. It's very mild-flavored; and some may even prefer it. Cooked and partly cooked chunks go fine in a salade nicoise or on a sandwich. Leftover can be used as if it were canned tuna.

9. I have never eaten tuna fried as if it were a white-flesh fish. It's just not something I'd do.

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Left over tuna makes a fine curry also.

14. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

I have actually been frying some tuna in a Tempura Batter and make a white creamy jalapeno dipping sauce for it. Just a minute, maybe 2 in the fryer at 375. Cubed pieces are about 1in by 1in. I think bigger would work a bit better. I am still working on the process.

Joe

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I've done thin pieces with ritz crackers, and garlic/onion butter. Make some rice and when your done frying pour the garlic butter over the rice.

16. gman

gman Senior Member

Congrats on that sea monster of a AJ you pulled from the deep, I had nightmares looking at it ha ha

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

After catching it and it's little brother I took a chopper out of there BEFORE I put down a third bait.

18. gman

gman Senior Member

I heard sorry to hear that but atleast you did your damage and left in style ... kind of like "Ok boys try to beat that see you at the docks" ha ha seriously glad your OK must have been scary especially after reeling those brutes in.

Did UE give you a break on a return trip how far into the trip did it happen

19. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Curry....
    I like Curry dishes and had not thought of doing a T\C dish.
    So now I guess I will.

G Man, I beleive Snagged made a 56 hour trip then took the express
    shuttle in Mid saturday morniing