360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up to now I've used PowerPro and when I send my reels out for service I just strip the line and discard it. If I go with the JB hollow and want to reuse the line after service how should I handle the line. Do you guys just leave it on or should I do like I do with flyline and unload it on a spool.

I'm concerned that if I leave it on there could be salt trapped on the spool surface under the line or that the line is contaminated during service. So i thought I would ask what do you guys do.

·
723 Posts
Up to now I've used PowerPro and when I send my reels out for service I just strip the line and discard it. If I go with the JB hollow and want to reuse the line after service how should I handle the line. Do you guys just leave it on or should I do like I do with flyline and unload it on a spool.

I'm concerned that if I leave it on there could be salt trapped on the spool surface under the line or that the line is contaminated during service. So i thought I would ask what do you guys do.

Mike,

I remove it and wind it onto an empty spool before sending reels for service. I like to ensure that the spool is cleaned off and to ensure there has been no pitting. Then, I wax my spools prior to putting the line back on.

·
1,541 Posts
I have a reel thats had the same power pro since 2000, and it works GREAT.

I know some guys who recondition line by using laundry detergent, or I believe varivas makes a line conditioner.

Strip off the line put into a bucket of fresh warm water, addd your cleaner. I agitate it a little bit to kinda give it a wash (but not enough to get it all tangled) and I'll let it sit there. Then i'll lay it out, let it dry off and respool.

·
723 Posts
Thanks; one more question. What about line twist on spinning reels?

It happens....LOL Every now and then, when I am moving about slowly, I trail about 100 yards behind the boat with no swivel, leader or anything else on it and it removes some of the twist.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll learn to be more specific; I meant line twist (on spinning reels) while re-spooling after cleaning the line.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on opening the bail with the reel on the rod and using a line stripper to strip it through the first guide. I"m not sure it would be worth the time and money to get a loader to put it back on. I have a spool tensioner that I currently use to load my reels the "Shimano" way (your method 2). And I routinely do the drag behind the boat method if there's any indication of twist. I really haven't seen a twist problem with braid except with bassfishing where I'm making a lot of casts or dropshotting.

I'll try stripping through the guide into a bucket and reload manually using a glove for tension and see what happens. The stripper I'm using won't be rolling it on a spool; it'll just dump the line wherever it's pointed.

·
723 Posts
I'll learn to be more specific; I meant line twist (on spinning reels) while re-spooling after cleaning the line.

Sorry Mike, did not realize what you were getting at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts