360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend bought a 350g 2pc Blackhole jigging rod. For what it is worth, he decided to test the rod with a deadlift. When he just lifted the 30lb dumbbell off the floor, the rod snapped, right at the joint. A closer look shows that the tip guide also fell off place.
I am aware the 2pc is weaker than the sngle pc. My question is how much weaker should one expect as the single pc 350g should not have any problems lifting 30lb wieght. More generally, what should we expect from 2pc compared to their 1pc cousins?
This is not intended to discredit bh rods as I am considering purchasing a 2pc myself, hence the question.
The rod was purchased from tackle direct. As they ran out of 350g, a 2pc 450g was sent to replace the broken rod. Not sure if he will attempt again. If he does, I will post.
Thx
Originally posted in the buy/sell section, apologies
Wood Finger Gas Nail Hardwood
Textile Grey Cutlery Font Scissors

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just finished our dry tortugas trip. One guy landed a Goliath, I guess close to 200lb, on Blackhole 250g. I caught a decent cobia on 2pc 150g. It bends crazy and has such power! A lot of nurse shark(unwanted) over 100lb on bh 150g/250g and Sting'o 2pc. Now everybody wants a backhoes/Sting'o.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
Now this is just a rumor, but I believe Kil personally tests each rod that leaves his shop. If it survives his deadlift test, then it goes to the customer. I wonder how many he has broken? I am guessing not many, but probably a couple. Sounds like one of the few outliers got to Tackle Direct and could have used Kil's test.

I would guess the tip bent when the rod broke, either from hitting something or the shear shock from the snapping.

I used to work in a tackle type shop and would test rods myself. A simple bend test done correctly by hand. Only rod I ever broke was a Penn Carnage jigging rod. Broke many of them with ridiculously little pressure. The Shimano's, other Penn's, St. Croix's even Ugly Stik's all worked as intended. I also broke a Spinal rod I had just finished building. That one hurt.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
He simple put top piece not deep enough and all power was holding just on two points, instead go even on blank when you put two pieces correctly all way till stops. I own few black hole rods and doing my best to break one and I can't :)

·
621 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts on these two blanks. Are they pretty similar?

Bushido - BVJ 58300

Black Hole - BHCCS 58350

In regards to this thread I've noticed they say its best not to use a aluminum reel seat. Anybody heard of breakage with those being used?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.