What stella for northeast tuna popping?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by mike garone, Oct 27, 2008.

1. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I am going to be building a GUSA 8' monster mag (30-60#) mainly for popping and some swimbaits and jigging (not vertical) tuna in the northeast. I know this rod is on the light side but I have caught some nice fish on my spiral wrapped conventional monster mag.

I mainly fish out of New Jersey, but plan on making a trip or 2 up to Cape Cod Bay next year and in the future going to the Gulf of Mexico.

I will be targeting fish under 125# with most being under 70# this setup and want to run 65# braid with about 18-22# of drag.

What Stella do you think will get the job done best for this application. The new Stellas are out of my budget, but the last model I think I can swing. I want to go with the smallest size that will get the job done with a little headroom capacity wise. I was thinking 10000 but I was not sure if that would have enough capacity.

Also looking at the Saragosa, but have heard of a few problems with the drags getting smoked. Any opinions of this reel for my application

2. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Hey Mike how are you? I ran into a guy the other day,who nailed a huge BFT on a Stella 6k with a 8000 spool. It was done in under 5 minutes. Its on you tube. I will try and find the link. I have been researching your same question,looks like im going spinning next year myself also. I fish lite and I THINK im going with a 10000FA. but lets wait and hear what the pro's say.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

many of the fish are over 125 lbs.....and andy was who caught the 77" tuna (i think that was the length) on the 6k/8k spool. That is rare....I'd use at least a 10k, more likely 20k in case the fish makes a big run. for gulf yellowfin, 8k is fine.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You could get the 10k for the high speed and put a 20k spool on it if you need more line capacity.

If on a private boat that can chase the fish, an 8000 would be my choice

d-a

5. NEMO

NEMO Member

20000 for sure

6. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I would be using this when we are not on the anchor and would be able to chase the fish to some extent. How much 65 would I be able to fit on the 10000?

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Over 300 yards.

d-a