360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
classic question but...

im replacing the guides on an older allstar 6'6 med action offshore spinning rod. i will be usind a shimano 6/8000 size reel. the guides i am replacing look like this.
40,30,20,16,12,10tt all double footed guides. i would be replacing them with fuji BMNAG.

would it be more reasonable to to use sizes,

40,25,20,16,12,12,10tt

i would be adding another guide but everything i read says one guide per foot plus one then the tip top.also the old guides didnt fliar down as fast as most rods i own. any ideas?

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the end result. If you want to cast with it then I would recommend a cone of flight on a rod that short with BMNAG

Casting (with spinning reel) setup
30, 25, 20, 16, 12 and 12 top for a fast action blank with a very stiff butt. If its a slow action blank then add a size 40 for a better static load

If its for mostly bottom bashing and stuff and only lobbing baits out then

30, 20, 16, 12, 12, 12 and 12 top

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Casting (with spinning reel) setup
30, 25, 20, 16, 12 and 12 top for a fast action blank with a very stiff butt. If its a slow action blank then add a size 40 for a better static load

Second this... And I'd stick with the 40 stripper since it's a pretty short rod and it will be fairly close to the reel.

Like Rohit says, not really necessary for fast action. But I still like that little extra room that 40mm gives to help keep the angle shallow from the bottom of the 6000/8000 rotor to the stripper.

Jason

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a med action blank. so 40,25 20 16,12, and 12 top. is it a no no to have the tip top be smaller than the last guide? for casting should i have 5 or six guides plus top?

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
No no andrew... Looks bad for once and i am sure the functionality wont be as good either...5 guides should be fine, an extra guide mean another hole it has to go through and that cause friction and distance it might not be much but if it doesnt do any benefit why bother...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts