What size Tiagra?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Tunakid, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Hi guys im sorta new to offshore fishing and I have some stuff already(avet lx 6/3 700h) I had a 30n avet but I returned it. I was thinking of going shimano. What would you guys use as all around as far as a tiagra? im targeting mostly dorado and whites with some yfts in mind and a few sails and hoos maybe evena few makos. I like to push my tackle. I was thinking maybe a Ti16 or is this too light? as for rods i was thinkin crowder ehd6080 and bout 700 yds berkley hollow 80 with b.g hi test topshot for capacity or more spectra and a kona or momoi windon. Other suggestions on a rig with a tiagra are appreciated. BTW money is irrelavent I want to buy once and for all.

2. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I think the tiagra 16 is good, as well as the 30wlrs

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

For one reel, you can't go wrong with the 30WLRSA.

4. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Are you sure i need a 30wlrsa? I mean how musch more drag can it offer? im using spectra so capacity shouldnt be a problem. Im thinking 200 lb fish max is the 30wlrsa overkill?
    BTW could i get more torque out of a 16 with a 20 or 30 sized handle?
    Could i upgrade the drag on the 16 or is it much easier to get the 30wlrsa

5. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

I was also wondering say i bought the 30 would the crowder 6 foot 50-80 ar stick suffice and if i stuck with the 16 would it be too heavy?

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i have a Tiagra 16, havent used it yet. BUT= have had it apart about 10 times now.. LOL!! It looks to be a very versatile reel, and is a perfect size for a wide variety of uses.... I can almost be positive, if I am not throwing topwaters... it will be the "goto" reel.

It now has a topless frame on it( i figured out why the frame was rubbing- the clamp screw was screwed in too far to the base of the frame, and was rubbing the spool). I also added a washer to the stack to give it a little more 'umph' in the drag department, freespool is still lacking though. oh well, it will keep me from backlashing while chunking. (freespool was the same with or without the extra washer... but it jumps on the drag QUICK with the extra washer)

7. etan

etan Senior Member

I increased the freespool on my 16 just by degreasing it. I am going to put a Tiagra 20A handle on it. I bought it when they first came out. It is great for everything, snapper to YFT. It has caught AJ to 60# and YFT to 80#. It is a great reel for the Gulf.

8. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Well im Gonna et the ti 16 spooled with about 700yds berkley 80 hollow and short top shot maybe 50 yards of 50# b.g. hi test on a crowder ehd6080 6 ft all roller 50-80 standup rod with a tiagra 20 size handle. thanks fo the help.

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Tiagra 16 or a 30WLRSA if you want to stick with Shimano.
    I personally think the Avet pro 30 will do as well as the Tiagra 30.
    Yes, I have and use all three.

10. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Thanks guys I just had one more question. how much drag does the 16 produce stock? Can it handle 80# line?

11. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Also does anyone know how well crowder rods handle and wear?

12. etan

etan Senior Member

I usually use 80# on mine and set the drag at 20# at strike. No problem with freespool. I imagine you could use more drag.

13. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

crowder rods are good for the money. we have them as rental rods on my boat. i am not familiar with that particular model but from what ive seen theyre on the heavier weight side but good quality rods with slower than average action