What size assist hooks are you using ?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MO1, Oct 9, 2006.

1. MO1

MO1 Member

I would like to hear of your experiences with assist hooks. Especially with
    larger jigs ( 14 oz or larger ). 6 and 7/0 hooks look really small rigged
    on this size jig. I have some 9/0 and they look better. Can the
    assist hook be too large ?
    Secondly, how often does the assist hook foul with the leader ?
    I have some hooks rigged with 130 lb spectra pulled into itself like a splice,
    and others with heavy red spectra cord from Anglers pro shop. I am thinking
    the larger hooks would do better on the stiffer cord.
    All information is appreciated.
    MO

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

bring some rubberbands. If they start swinging into your line and tangling, you can band one down about halfway where it will still swing, but not into the other one.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I've been using 300# spectra and hooks from 7/0 to 9/0. I just dug out a spool of 130# waxed net cord and have switched to it for assist hooks.
    Use the 3 to 1 3-M shrink tubing and extend it up the cord a bit and you'll have less problems with hooks hanging.
    If using a swivel use the 230# SPRO to tie to, I found the 130's will cut the line on a decent fish with a long fight.

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

MO1,

I have used 6/0 through 8/0 Gamakatsu live bait hooks for my assist hooks.

You asked, "how big is too big?" I feel a hook is too big when it starts to distract from the lures action.

I want the point sticking out past the lure body. Don't get too close... I'll snag ya.

I ain't sure that I'm right. I toss this out cause I'm still learning this jigging thing.

6. berniek

berniek Junior member

I agree with DSG. The advantages of a bigger hook with a knife jig is that it makes the point more exposed. The disadvantage is that is may detract from the action of the lure which is paramount.

7. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I just scored some 1/0 Gamakatsu Assist 510 hooks.

I was surprised to find the loop so short. The line was small in diameter and stiff.

I can see where one might dip their spectra into some red wax to stiffen the spectra...

8. DavidR

DavidR Member

MO1,

I have used 6/0 through 8/0 Gamakatsu live bait hooks for my assist hooks.

You asked, "how big is too big?" I feel a hook is too big when it starts to distract from the lures action.

I want the point sticking out past the lure body. Don't get too close... I'll snag ya.

I ain't sure that I'm right. I toss this out cause I'm still learning this jigging thing.

I am currently looking for a good hook to use in making my own assist hooks and I thought I had settled on Gamakatsu's Heavy Duty Live bait hook. However, I saw them at FTU and they look pretty thick compared to the packaged assist hooks I have used in the past with success (fishing for BFT & YFT) out of Galveston. My question is, are you referring to the Heavy Duty Live Bait hooks in your comment or are you referring to Gamakatsu's regular "Live Bait" hook which isn't as thick.
    I agree with your comment that a hook may be "too big" if it starts to distract from the lures action which is why I am asking. Also, the biggest jig I will use is 8oz.
    Thanks
    David

9. DavidR

DavidR Member

Good info... thanks

10. hamster1

hamster1 Senior Member

10/0 & 12/0 live bait hooks

11. DavidR

DavidR Member

10/0 & 12/0 live bait hooks

What brand? Regular or Heavy Duty Live Bait Hooks? Thanks