What rod to match a JB4?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by YMMV, Apr 16, 2009.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Curious to what some of you guys would rec a rod to match to a JB4. Looking for a rod that would balance well with it and be able to handle the drag it produces. Im going to try this monster of a reel for jigging this year. May poss replace my OJ4000P.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

what length rod.
    there are a few good choices

3. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Curious to what some of you guys would rec a rod to match to a JB4. Looking for a rod that would balance well with it and be able to handle the drag it produces. Im going to try this monster of a reel for jigging this year. May poss replace my OJ4000P.

Verry good question. I am also considering the JB4 for jigging.
    Did you get it yet? If so, then how does it feel? Also, can you post some comparrison pictures with your OJ4000P, since I am also considering that reel as well. And finally does it make alot of noise while reeling in since it does not have anti-reveras bearings just double-dogs.

Thanks,
    Ty

4. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

what length rod.
    there are a few good choices

Paul, I was looking to do a 5'8" unless there are any other opinions?

What do you have in mind? :)

5. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Verry good question. I am also considering the JB4 for jigging.
    Did you get it yet? If so, then how does it feel? Also, can you post some comparrison pictures with your OJ4000P, since I am also considering that reel as well. And finally does it make alot of noise while reeling in since it does not have anti-reveras bearings just double-dogs.

Thanks,
    Ty

TY,

I will def get you some pics. I can compare it to my OJ, or my Saltigas (30T and 50) for you.

There reel does have some noise when cranking (due to the double dogs). Its really not that loud (to me it isnt). I'd probably say a little bit louder than the Avet SX's when they first came out. If you want, I can try to upload a video of the noise as well.

The reel feels like a tank. When I hold it, over-built comes to mind. There is minor back play in the reel handle due to the dogs but its not much. Not like the old sloppy Abus. I also have 300yards of 80# JB hollow on it with room for top shot.

I'll get you the info over the weekend. I notice you are in Philly. If you ever head into the Northern NJ area or head towards Kil's shop LMK, we can meet up and you can check out the reel in person.

6. yellowtail67

yellowtail67 Member

I'll try and get a post up later, will be heading to Mexico with a JB 4 for a month.
    They do produce some serious drags, and are built like tanks!

7. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

TY,

I will def get you some pics. I can compare it to my OJ, or my Saltigas (30T and 50) for you.

There reel does have some noise when cranking (due to the double dogs). Its really not that loud (to me it isnt). I'd probably say a little bit louder than the Avet SX's when they first came out. If you want, I can try to upload a video of the noise as well.

The reel feels like a tank. When I hold it, over-built comes to mind. There is minor back play in the reel handle due to the dogs but its not much. Not like the old sloppy Abus. I also have 300yards of 80# JB hollow on it with room for top shot.

I'll get you the info over the weekend. I notice you are in Philly. If you ever head into the Northern NJ area or head towards Kil's shop LMK, we can meet up and you can check out the reel in person.

Thanks. Thats awesome. This is why I like this board so much... lots of people willing to help other anglers. I will most certainly take you up on that offer to drive up to NNJ. Also I would like to check out the OJ 4000P. I never been to Kil's shop but I would love to check that out someday as well. Only thing is I hate driving in NYC. LoL

I do have the Daiwa Ishidai Z40 (upgraded Saltiga SA40) and Saltist 30T, so you say the size is about between the two? 300 yards of 80# JB sounds about right for the application I will use it for; might get a bit more if I use Daiwa Boat Braid.

Thanks again its much appreciated. I will see about driving up there this weekend or next weekend.

yo!

Ty

8. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I am guessing you are going to be vertical jigging? What are you planning on spooling the jb4 with?

I was lucky enough to get the 80# xl lite prototype to build and the rod is an absolute beast and is very light. I have a thread in the rod blank section where you can see me lifting 30# no problem. I will be using this rod with my JB 4 spooled with 80# when I am vertical jigging.

9. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

I am guessing you are going to be vertical jigging? What are you planning on spooling the jb4 with?

I was lucky enough to get the 80# xl lite prototype to build and the rod is an absolute beast and is very light. I have a thread in the rod blank section where you can see me lifting 30# no problem. I will be using this rod with my JB 4 spooled with 80# when I am vertical jigging.

Mike, I will def be verticle jigging with it. I have Jerry Brown 80# hollow on it.

THanks for the heads up on your thread! :)

10. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Alright Ty, here are some pics for you to compare the size of the JB vs Saltiga 30T, 50, and OJ 4000P. Sorry I got this up so late, it was so nice out yesterday I had to hit the water and so some striper and flounder fishing. I look like a lobster. :eek: The JB4 is a hair bigger then a 30T. It is def not as wide as a SA40 though.

First few pics, OJ4KP, 30T, JB4, 50
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next few shots, OJ4KP, 30T, JB4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have bigger pics as well if needed.

11. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Alright Ty, here are some pics for you to compare the size of the JB vs Saltiga 30T, 50, and OJ 4000P. Sorry I got this up so late, it was so nice out yesterday I had to hit the water and so some striper and flounder fishing. I look like a lobster. :eek: The JB4 is a hair bigger then a 30T. It is def not as wide as a SA40 though.

First few pics, OJ4KP, 30T, JB4, 50

Next few shots, OJ4KP, 30T, JB4

I have bigger pics as well if needed.

Thanks, it looks good.
    The weather was nice this weekend, and I don't blame you for going out on the water. I would have done the same :)
    I was busy preparing to move from my apartment to my first house. yippie!

Thanks again for those images. I wil PM you my email if you want to send the full size images, but from what I see so far the JB4 looks to be about the size I feel comfortable with (Saltist 30T or no larger than Saltiga SA40) for speed jigging.

Ty