360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the hxw for my girlfriend and was wanting some advise on what rod to put it on. I'd like it to be a pretty universal rod she could use on the Big E long range trips.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
good universal rod is the calstar 700 H or XH
the OTi comes in a 7'6" that may be nice also for that reel

·
1,105 Posts
I have one each: 700H Conventional, 700H Spin, 700XH Spin, and OTE 71/2 foot spin (50#). I'm not much on conventional gear, but if I were choosing a companion rod, based on limited experience with the above, I would probably choose one not on that list--the OTI 7 1/2 foot for 80 pound line.

Russ

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
O.T.I. 6' JIGGING ROD is rated for 20lb. drag.

if you plan on using it go for 5'6" jigging rod rated for 30lb. drag.

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do y'all think a 7' rod would be a good choice? She would use it for everything except casting lures. I was thinking something around 5.5' - 6'

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think a 7' on that reel is good for party boat, gives you more line clearance from the hull. I would recommend a GUSA predator or GUSA challenger 70H. I have a predator that I fish 60# on and it whips fish quick. I have pulled on the 70H and it is a very nice blank. I personally have a 70HP that I am building for my baker 4 when it gets back from service. I will be using that rod with 80# braid

·
1,105 Posts
Aggie82JoshBased on her using it for everything except casting, I would back off my recommendation of the 7 1/2 foot--although some of the northeastern fishermen use the longer rods for jigging as well. But assuming she is not atypically strong for a woman, the shorter rods would probably be better since they would put less of a strain on her while fighting the fish. In the case you state, I would tend to go with fathom's recommendation of the 6 foot OTI for bait fishing. The 700H would, as stated above, give better line clearance but would tend to be harder on her. The 700XH would be brutal. (That's the T-SIP view of it.) :)

Russ

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
I think a 7' on that reel is good for party boat, gives you more line clearance from the hull. I would recommend a GUSA predator or GUSA challenger 70H. I have a predator that I fish 60# on and it whips fish quick. I have pulled on the 70H and it is a very nice blank. I personally have a 70HP that I am building for my baker 4 when it gets back from service. I will be using that rod with 80# braid

I just built a GUSA predator thats some rod....Light & strong .. I also like the challenger's..I built the PURC 70MH great blank..If you like a Calstar.. I feel the PURC blanks have better hook set & no tip flop..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts