What rod for Avet HXW 5/2

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Aggie82Josh, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I just bought the hxw for my girlfriend and was wanting some advise on what rod to put it on. I'd like it to be a pretty universal rod she could use on the Big E long range trips.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

good universal rod is the calstar 700 H or XH
    the OTi comes in a 7'6" that may be nice also for that reel

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have one each: 700H Conventional, 700H Spin, 700XH Spin, and OTE 71/2 foot spin (50#). I'm not much on conventional gear, but if I were choosing a companion rod, based on limited experience with the above, I would probably choose one not on that list--the OTI 7 1/2 foot for 80 pound line.

Russ

4. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

O.T.I. 6' JIGGING ROD is rated for 20lb. drag.

if you plan on using it go for 5'6" jigging rod rated for 30lb. drag.

5. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

do y'all think a 7' rod would be a good choice? She would use it for everything except casting lures. I was thinking something around 5.5' - 6'

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i usually like a little longer rod on a PB
    but whatever length she would be comfortable with

7. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I think a 7' on that reel is good for party boat, gives you more line clearance from the hull. I would recommend a GUSA predator or GUSA challenger 70H. I have a predator that I fish 60# on and it whips fish quick. I have pulled on the 70H and it is a very nice blank. I personally have a 70HP that I am building for my baker 4 when it gets back from service. I will be using that rod with 80# braid

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Aggie82JoshBased on her using it for everything except casting, I would back off my recommendation of the 7 1/2 foot--although some of the northeastern fishermen use the longer rods for jigging as well. But assuming she is not atypically strong for a woman, the shorter rods would probably be better since they would put less of a strain on her while fighting the fish. In the case you state, I would tend to go with fathom's recommendation of the 6 foot OTI for bait fishing. The 700H would, as stated above, give better line clearance but would tend to be harder on her. The 700XH would be brutal. (That's the T-SIP view of it.) :)

Russ

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I think a 7' on that reel is good for party boat, gives you more line clearance from the hull. I would recommend a GUSA predator or GUSA challenger 70H. I have a predator that I fish 60# on and it whips fish quick. I have pulled on the 70H and it is a very nice blank. I personally have a 70HP that I am building for my baker 4 when it gets back from service. I will be using that rod with 80# braid

I just built a GUSA predator thats some rod....Light & strong .. I also like the challenger's..I built the PURC 70MH great blank..If you like a Calstar.. I feel the PURC blanks have better hook set & no tip flop..