What reel??

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by stresst, Jan 4, 2009.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am getting things in order for next season, I do 95% of my tuna trips on 6 packs and only 1 or 2 a year on a PB. I have my jigging settup all squared away, and having trouble deciding on a trolling settup. I need something to hold enough 80lb mono. I dont wanna do a 50W unless I have to. I have been looking into either an Avet, Tiagra or Accurate B2-50, the B2-50 weighs less than a 30 so that has my attention. They are all about the same price, what do you think??

2. stresst

stresst Senior Member

35 views and not 1 reply. I like to see what everyone is using before I drop 700 on a reel. Thanks for looking

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

avet 30/30w. or the older avet exw4/02 can be found for good prices. they will all perform about the same as the others mentioned. this size avets hold a ton of 80lb mono. if your looking for a 50 size reel the avet sds looks good. what rod you putting it on?

4. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

I love my Avet Pro 50

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i just sold my 30exw for a good price...too bad you didnt post this sooner, lol.

as for the b2-50, it does look nice i completely agree and accurate is a great company but the reel is very new. if anything happens they're definitely fix it no worries...you may run into growing pains problems with it if all bugs haven't been worked out. not a knock on the reel, its just new. i want a b2-30....but will wait until it's tested a bit more before buying :)

brian and chris both have good suggestions....since you rarely fish party boats you can get away with a smaller reel than someone who strictly fishes PBs sinec the boat can follow the fish if need be.

6. stresst

stresst Senior Member

avet 30/30w. or the older avet exw4/02 can be found for good prices. they will all perform about the same as the others mentioned. this size avets hold a ton of 80lb mono. if your looking for a 50 size reel the avet sds looks good. what rod you putting it on?

It's a calstar dont remember the blank# gotta find out from my builder.

Bret I seen your reel, I just wasn't sure what I needed/wanted. I should have inquired:(

As far as the 30/30w how much 80 mono realitcaly fits? Do/should I go with a 50 or a 30 and put 200yds of JB on the bottom? Thanks for the reply's.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i would use around 150yds of 80 on top...the rest braid. 600-700 yds should be plenty of line

8. CClassic28

CClassic28 Junior member

Picked up 2 30vsx's this year, nice reel, lots of drag, easy to handle 100# HC with a 150 yd. TS 80# Momoi HC Biggest tuna this year on those outfits was a 234# bigeye...no problem...

Chris

9. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

Check out the "Holiday Special" at CharkBait if it is still on, they were giving $50 gift cards with Avet 30's and 50's. They will also spool it for you with JB or Izor, or whatever you want.

The other thing you may want to consider as a spooling option is to go with a wind on topshot. This simply means your topshot is connected with a loop to loop connection instead of a knot. This means you can effectively change line sizes by just changing out the topshot. The real advantage if you fish from partyboats is that if you get cut off, and lose a lot of you topshot, you can easily replace it without tying any complicated knots. Last year, a boat I was fishing got into some blue sharks, and I lost almost 70yds of line to shark cuttoffs, I just swapped out a new topshot, back in business in minutes. I get my topshots and leaders at JAK Associates makes Kona Style wind-on leaders and top shots for the serious big game angler very reasonable prices and top quality.