360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size (pound test) line should I be using for throwing stickbaits/swimbaits/small poppers and jigging for YFT in GOM, typically on party boats from Galveston and Port Aransas?
I have several spinning reels on decent rods (ripple fisher, black hole, oti, etc)
They are 10K and 14K reels. They are used for mostly throwing stick/swimbaits.
They are loaded with 65lb braid and I typically use 60lb or 80lb leader.
So, . . .
Last time I was out, I got my 3 YFT limit and then continued to hook up several more times and handed off the rod for someone else to get some fish.
At some point, a deck hand was helping get fish on the deck and asked me what line/leader I was using. I got the idea he thought the line was on the light side and required extra care in bringing the fish to the gaffe.
Since even the largest tuna I hooked up only pulled about half the line off the 10K spool, I don't think it would be a problem to use 80lb line but I don't want to if it's not necessary.

Keep the 65lb
Or
Switch to 80lb lb?

Thx!

·
Registered
11 Posts
65 is fine, but confidence is everything when party boat fishing.
Your probably going to lose 10 ft of casting distance from 65 to 80.

In perfect situation, I’d go 65 most of the year, but November - February go 80 since the average fish is much bigger.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!
I thought the simple answer (keep the 65) would be right.

65 is fine, but confidence is everything when party boat fishing.
Your probably going to lose 10 ft of casting distance from 65 to 80.

In perfect situation, I’d go 65 most of the year, but November - February go 80 since the average fish is much bigger.
I was out after Thanksgiving and every YFT I hooked up was nice sized. But, I don't think I want to change line with the seasons. lol
I'm not sure about the difference in casting distance. The 65 has been good for me. I don't want to lose any distance, but I'm not going down to 50 lb to get more. :)

Thanks again
:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Realizing you are asking about 65 versus 80 Lb for casting, some may also be interested in checking true line strengths. Of course breaks offs when your line rubs against the boat hull are costly.
Just today I re-tested line from a brand new spool of 100 Lb. tuf-line XP braid very slowly lowering a 58 Lb. weight on a 3 foot section, it broke readily in 2 tests. I had applied a chaff preventer to the swivel tie off, the other end was simple nylon rope. This follows a test a few weeks ago where I got similar results with a new spool of 100 Lb. Power Pro. I encourage anyone to repeat these tests with their own line and check results. I am now very skeptical of claimed braid strengths - - as well as the heightened susceptibility of break offs from braid rubbing against boat hulls. The 100 Lb. Berkeley Big Game mono I used as a control tested fine, I will definitely be using sizeable length mono topshots and rely on braid only to try to keep from being spooled.

·
2,186 Posts
Realizing you are asking about 65 versus 80 Lb for casting, some may also be interested in checking true line strengths. Of course breaks offs when your line rubs against the boat hull are costly.
Just today I re-tested line from a brand new spool of 100 Lb. tuf-line XP braid very slowly lowering a 58 Lb. weight on a 3 foot section, it broke readily in 2 tests. I had applied a chaff preventer to the swivel tie off, the other end was simple nylon rope. This follows a test a few weeks ago where I got similar results with a new spool of 100 Lb. Power Pro. I encourage anyone to repeat these tests with their own line and check results. I am now very skeptical of claimed braid strengths - - as well as the heightened susceptibility of break offs from braid rubbing against boat hulls. The 100 Lb. Berkeley Big Game mono I used as a control tested fine, I will definitely be using sizeable length mono topshots and rely on braid only to try to keep from being spooled.
Where did the line break???? I brought in a #680 billfish using #100 PP solid braid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Typical break off spot was 2 inches below the upper end tied off around a loop of 3/16th's inch nylon rope (not at either tie off), like I said, tests yours yourself, don't rely on my results, if we can get several to do their own tests and we confirm braid ain't livin up to it's stated pound test range - - - we have a problem Houston . . .

·
2,186 Posts
Typical break off spot was 2 inches below the upper end tied off around a loop of 3/16th's inch nylon rope (not at either tie off), like I said, tests yours yourself, don't rely on my results, if we can get several to do their own tests and we confirm braid ain't livin up to it's stated pound test range - - - we have a problem Houston . . .
Are you breaking off when bowed up on fish?????

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the braid doesn't meet the claimed specs . . . if I ever hook a monster then yes it will likely break, plenty of guys breaking off at or near the boat, witnessed it multiple trips

Really opened my eyes on braid, now I am a mono fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow up question for you guys, how much flouro leader are you putting on the end of your braid? Are you using a swivel or line to line knot? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Follow up question for you guys, how much flouro leader are you putting on the end of your braid? Are you using a swivel or line to line knot? Thanks!
For casting I just do 5-6 feet of 80lb flouro tied on with an FG. Using a swivel limits how long your leader can be. You can cast a knot through the guides but not a swivel.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For casting I just do 5-6 feet of 80lb flouro tied on with an FG. Using a swivel limits how long your leader can be. You can cast a knot through the guides but not a swivel.
Same for me, but sometimes I use mono instead of the fluro.

:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
4-5 ft fluoro leader tied with FG to main (either 65 or 80 lb braid)
leader to heavy duty BB swivel and split ring with either a double or single SD jam, usually single

·
2,186 Posts
IMO your leader length you should figure out by trial and error but the longest you should make should have your knot or LL connection above your finger and hanging off the tip of the rods your comfortable casting length. If you use a bulky leader/line connection, you will lose some casting distance with the knot banging its way up through the guides, leader that is wound around the spool will slap the guides and do the same thing. Do a search on leaders and you should find a lot of posts on this particular topic.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
I use a loop-2-loop connection with a 6-8' section of 60-100# seaguar blue label flouro for abrasion resistance.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Just an observation, but the brands of braid being tested/questioned here are not exactly top-tier brands or even very well-constructed braid, and certainly shouldn't be used as the deciding factor between braid and mono or flouro.
Daiwa J-braid X8, Jerry Brown Line One hollow, Varivas all consistently test higher than advertised breaking strength. Jerry Brown 60H typically tests in the low 90's!!! For the record, I have never had a braid defect-related failure using Jerry Brown for all of the nearly 20 yrs I've fished with it.
I wish Paulus still had his thing going, it was super enlightening.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts