360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering what kind of boats people use in the NE? The reason why is that I was offered a job in New Jersey and I just might take it. Of course I will need a boat that can handle some of the rougher waters you all encounter in that area. I was looking for something in the 23-26 ft range, ebay had several boats that looked interesting. Trophy 2503(nice casting platform), Ocean Master 27ft, also with a nice casting platform, and a 2000 SeaCraft 25 ft. How would these boats do? What makes a good offshore boats? I have very little experience other than pangas. Thanks

Ed

·
34 Posts
i have a 252 coastal from wellcraft, on a trailer, great for trolling, but not much room for casting, keeps us nice and dry most of the time

·
723 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering what kind of boats people use in the NE? The reason why is that I was offered a job in New Jersey and I just might take it. Of course I will need a boat that can handle some of the rougher waters you all encounter in that area. I was looking for something in the 23-26 ft range, ebay had several boats that looked interesting. Trophy 2503(nice casting platform), Ocean Master 27ft, also with a nice casting platform, and a 2000 SeaCraft 25 ft. How would these boats do? What makes a good offshore boats? I have very little experience other than pangas. Thanks

Ed

Ed,

You are likely to get 1000 different opinions on this. To me, the most important things for a good North East Offshore boat are:

1. A place to get out of the weather (Cuddy Cabin, or very good canvas enclosure).
2. It must take rough seas well, without "slamming". It has to be able to "cut through" a steep 3 to 4 foot chop without knocking the teeth out of your head.....
3. Large fishing cockpit
4. Reliability, and good fuel economy.
5. Easily trailered.

These things are just my opinion and are most important to me. I operate my boat in the Gulf of Maine though. Quite a bit different than New Jersey, but this may be a good guide for you to go by. That said, this is my boat. It meets all the above criteria and is a well built boat:

Eastern Boats 24 Explorer

G

·
yeah, youll def get 1000 different opinions. just dont turn this thread into the "mono hull versus cat" lol.

If I were to buy a boat (which, I'm not anytime soon) I would decide what kind of fishing I am going to be doing primarily. how far out, troll vs jig and pop, seasons im willing to fish in, seas i'm willing to fish in, etc. then give yourself a year or so to see what its actually like and go on charter boats or other guys boats and see what you like and dont like.

and of course $$ always comes into play so thatd be another issue.

(yes i realize this is more or less like answering your question with another question)

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

Thanks for or the replies. Your boat kinda looks like Steiger craft. Is it very stable? How many people can you fish in it, without getting in everyones way?

Ed

·
723 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for or the replies. Your boat kinda looks like Steiger craft. Is it very stable? How many people can you fish in it, without getting in everyones way?

Ed

Yeah, I guess it does look like a Steiger. The Eastern is stable for its size. It is a very light boat, which is what makes it so "trailerable" and economical. As Bret pointed out, how many people I can comfortably fish depends on what type of fishing we are doing. Four guys comfortably if we are just jigging. Popping for Tuna is another story.... Only two, three at the most.

·
513 Posts
I use a BW Montauk 17, but that's not saying much! My friend is aiming to get a World Cat 266 SC. It has a cuddy, but is a walkaround. The Seacraft (and Eastern) is prettier, though. Go for aesthetics! Life is too short for an ugly boat!

·
5,457 Posts
Ed,

You are likely to get 1000 different opinions on this. To me, the most important things for a good North East Offshore boat are:

1. A place to get out of the weather (Cuddy Cabin, or very good canvas enclosure).
2. It must take rough seas well, without "slamming". It has to be able to "cut through" a steep 3 to 4 foot chop without knocking the teeth out of your head.....
3. Large fishing cockpit
4. Reliability, and good fuel economy.
5. Easily trailered.

These things are just my opinion and are most important to me. I operate my boat in the Gulf of Maine though. Quite a bit different than New Jersey, but this may be a good guide for you to go by. That said, this is my boat. It meets all the above criteria and is a well built boat:

Eastern Boats 24 Explorer

Im not in NE but my 26ft glacier bay canryon runner meets all 5 of your requirements. Especially #2 and 3

d-a

·
723 Posts
I use a BW Montauk 17, but that's not saying much! My friend is aiming to get a World Cat 266 SC. It has a cuddy, but is a walkaround. The Seacraft (and Eastern) is prettier, though. Go for aesthetics! Life is too short for an ugly boat!

LOL, I think I have heard that before! From a Guy who owns a Parker....

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, youll def get 1000 different opinions. just dont turn this thread into the "mono hull versus cat" lol.

If I were to buy a boat (which, I'm not anytime soon) I would decide what kind of fishing I am going to be doing primarily. how far out, troll vs jig and pop, seasons im willing to fish in, seas i'm willing to fish in, etc. then give yourself a year or so to see what its actually like and go on charter boats or other guys boats and see what you like and dont like.

and of course $$ always comes into play so thatd be another issue.

(yes i realize this is more or less like answering your question with another question)

No, those are all valid points! Though in the past I have entered the tournament scene(mostly Cabo and Hawaii), I have always found trolling unsatisfying. I have been a avid, what people call "Popping" originally called Whipping in Hawaii for the last 20 years. I caught my first GT or Ulua in 1989, first YFT on a popper 1993. I am a die hard caster! If it swims I have caught it on spinning gear. So I guess I would be looking for a stable platform, to cast from whether it be from a fly or spinning rod. The boat would have to quick on the turn and spin on a dime. Thanks for the input.

ED

·
35 Posts
Ed,
One more thing to consider is, do you fish alone often? I do, which is why I prefer a center console. What part of NJ are thinking about relocating?
Chad

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed,
One more thing to consider is, do you fish alone often? I do, which is why I prefer a center console. What part of NJ are thinking about relocating?
Chad

Hey Chad,
No sure the location, it my companies HQ. I was just offered the job last night. In the past, I have worked very close to the ocean, I averaged about 120 days a year on the water. Let's put this way, when the BFT arrive I will be taking every sick day, holiday, unexcused absencance I can get away with!

ED

G

·
Im not in NE but my 26ft glacier bay canryon runner meets all 5 of your requirements. Especially #2 and 3

d-a
i love the 26 CR, awesome boat. we went to gunnison in Will's (high seas drifter) from freeport. needed a bladder but we only burned 220 for 410 miles. there were 4 of us on the boat and room wasn't an issue. the only prob ive had in cats if from a side sea, they'll sneeze a lot. straight on theyre awesome. fish boxes are surprisingly big too.

im not sure the customers at buccee's loved it, but i did

View attachment 10679

Attachments

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ed, make sure you have my phone number :D

Good idea, need all the advice I can get. This July I already have a 5 day Popping/jigging trip all set up. Since the job will not be available until august, it will give me a chance to look around and checkout people boats and ask all sorts of dumb questions!

Ed

·
2,622 Posts
great advice above and there are a ton of good choices. I have two pieces of advice. Get at least two engines (it's a long walk back) and when you decide what you want find someone that already owns one and go out with them. What works on a showroom doesn't always work at sea and everyone likes the choice they made.

·
5,457 Posts
i love the 26 CR, awesome boat. we went to gunnison in Will's (high seas drifter) from freeport. needed a bladder but we only burned 220 for 410 miles. there were 4 of us on the boat and room wasn't an issue. the only prob ive had in cats if from a side sea, they'll sneeze a lot. straight on theyre awesome. fish boxes are surprisingly big too.

im not sure the customers at buccee's loved it, but i did

View attachment 10679

Yea they will sneeze on you, but I havent been sprayed like with other boats. Beside I keep my eisenglass up most all the time. The lack of pounding is what i enjoy the most.

d-a

·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great advice above and there are a ton of good choices. I have two pieces of advice. Get at least two engines (it's a long walk back) and when you decide what you want find someone that already owns one and go out with them. What works on a showroom doesn't always work at sea and everyone likes the choice they made.

Thanks for the advice. Question, on average how far offshore do you go for the BFT?

·
723 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Question, on average how far offshore do you go for the BFT?

Up this way we do almost all our fishing for them inside 20 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
get something heavy, foam filled, at least 24 ft, twin outboards,
hard top and cuddy cabin with screen; then spend money
on satellite weather units along with dual GPS, good sounder
and a good cooler

1 - 20 of 55 Posts