What jigs at night?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by MJ4, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Hello All

What jigs do you recommend for YFT in the canyon after dark?

Appreciate any help..........

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'm not sure about the canyon up there, but in the gulf, tuna will hit glow in the dark jigs pretty good.

Try the following jigs for night jigging:

Shimano Flat-Sides 224g/280g/325g in Chartreuse/White Glow

FCL Labo SL jig 270g/320g in Silver Glow Back (Angler's Pro Shop - FCL Labo SL)

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Mike, we don't use any special jigs for night.
    It really doesn't matter it glows or not.

4. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Yellowfin will pretty much eat what ever is dropped in front of them! I have caught YFT on just about every color jig out there!

5. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Thanks fellas!

6. jig

jig Senior Member

Ive always been curious: if most visible light is filtered out at around 200' (so I have heard), then how do fish see a non glow jig fished at 300-400' at night on dark moon?

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Ive always been curious: if most visible light is filtered out at around 200' (so I have heard), then how do fish see a non glow jig fished at 300-400' at night on dark moon?

They don't. But, their lateral line will alert them to the (wake) from the jig. If the water movement from the jig is similar to a bait fish their feeding on, they attack.

If you're not catching anything and the guy next to you is hooking up every drop, switch to his jig and work it way he's working it. If you're marking fish, keep changing jigs and retrieves until the fish start attacking.

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I picked up one 8 oz glow diamond jig at cabelas before my tuna trip a couple of weeks ago. It was the hot jig of the night. I caught a 40lb yft on my second drop and tons of blackfin. They broke the hook ring off of the bottom and I had rig it with an assist hook and hammered them until we got to close to the rig and a damn cuda got it.. It was the only one I had.... my jig bite slowed down quite a bit after that.

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I picked up one 8 oz glow diamond jig at cabelas before my tuna trip a couple of weeks ago. It was the hot jig of the night. I caught a 40lb yft on my second drop and tons of blackfin. They broke the hook ring off of the bottom and I had rig it with an assist hook and hammered them until we got to close to the rig and a damn cuda got it.. It was the only one I had.... my jig bite slowed down quite a bit after that.

Yea, I've experienced good bites in the GOM using shorter fat glow jigs as well. I noticed that my other fishing buddies aren't getting as good a bite on their non-glow jigs when my glow ones are hot. Just my observation.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Glow jigs definitely get attention from blackfin.
    That is one of the reasons I don't use glow jigs in GOM.

11. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Mike for what its worth glow out sells other paint jobs probably 2 or 3:1 in the Yo Yo and Sushi Jigs and squids. In fact I plan to make one of the sides of the CM220 with Glow paint and then clear sealer - might get more sharks but should take YFT / Cod / Sea Bass. I actually keep track of custom requests for new items, and thus far three customers have requested the CM220 in Gold Hammered as well as the Chrome Hammered... so I might do that if enough people ask for it.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Mike for what its worth glow out sells other paint jobs probably 2 or 3:1 in the Yo Yo and Sushi Jigs and squids. In fact I plan to make one of the sides of the CM220 with Glow paint and then clear sealer - might get more sharks but should take YFT / Cod / Sea Bass. I actually keep track of custom requests for new items, and thus far three customers have requested the CM220 in Gold Hammered as well as the Chrome Hammered... so I might do that if enough people ask for it.
    Dan,
    It is a good idea to make your jigs with glow paint at least partially as that is what most customers want. Guys who start tuna jigging invariably think about using glow jigs when they jig at night.

I experimented glow jigs for tuna at night for years. I even made a hole in the middle of jigs and put a light stick, but I never felt it caught more tuna than regular jigs though I caught tuna on those glow jigs.

13. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

Another thing to consider is depth. I have seen two people side by side, same jigs and one is catching and the other is not. One is fishing the correct depth where the fish are the other is not. Count how long the person is letting the jig drop and duplicate it. Helps out alot. I have used glow and not, didn't see much difference although I did catch a 107lb YFT on a glow jig on my last trip. Luck probably.

Joe

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Exactly.
    To jig in right depth is more important than anything else.

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Diamond jig and Cripple Herring jig caught all of my Black fin and a few yellow fin starting 18 -20 years ago around the deeper shelf platforms,
    Magnolia, Bullwinkle, ect. These fish were caught casting from the platforms at night.

But now I do quest to have too many jigs other than what I started with.
    Some I like and can't rember the name or where I got them from.

For Glow I liked and have used these alot and only have a few left, but can't rember who made them or where I got them? (photo copied from other post)
    Any answers?

Kev

Attached Files:

16. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Very good info.Thanks.

17. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Another thing to consider is depth. I have seen two people side by side, same jigs and one is catching and the other is not. One is fishing the correct depth where the fish are the other is not. Count how long the person is letting the jig drop and duplicate it. Helps out alot. I have used glow and not, didn't see much difference although I did catch a 107lb YFT on a glow jig on my last trip. Luck probably.

Joe

Thats why I think the depthfinder line or line counter is very helpful in dropping back down to where you got bit on the previous drop. We would mark fish on the meter and drop down to that depth.... and sure enough.. you would get bit..

18. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Diamond jig and Cripple Herring jig caught all of my Black fin and a few yellow fin starting 18 -20 years ago around the deeper shelf platforms,
    Magnolia, Bullwinkle, ect. These fish were caught casting from the platforms at night.

But now I do quest to have too many jigs other than what I started with.
    Some I like and can't rember the name or where I got them from.

For Glow I liked and have used these alot and only have a few left, but can't rember who made them or where I got them? (photo copied from other post)
    Any answers?

Kev

Hey Kev,
    Those highlighted jigs are River2Sea Knife Jigs. You can get them online thru retailers, try landbigfish.com:

River2Sea Knife Jig

19. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

[​IMG]

Those jigs are always good for jigging @ nite! Get couple dozen in case you're in cuda's water :)

20. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

Those jigs are always good for jigging @ nite! Get couple dozen in case you're in cuda's water :)

how you get a cuda to take a jig?

I was so pizzed off at one that kept hanging around the boat and
    bit the tail off of one of my blackfin. I wanted to catch him to teach
    him a lesson but he wouldn't even look at my jig
    (it was an OTI 300 g chartreuse )

21. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

how you get a cuda to take a jig?

I was so pizzed off at one that kept hanging around the boat and
    bit the tail off of one of my blackfin. I wanted to catch him to teach
    him a lesson but he wouldn't even look at my jig
    (it was an OTI 300 g chartreuse )

Get a nice big flashy silver spoon out, cast across his face and burn it back, he'll probably go nuts over it :D