360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do yall feel is the most popular and productive jig head shape for snapper and grouper? What sizes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hammered diamond jigs are great for both snapper and grouper. no need to buy a $20 jig when a $7 jig works just as well.

also - i think a leadhead and a rubber tail would work....kind of like a halibut or lingcod jig if you're familiar with those. never tried it though sinec the hammered diamond jig works so well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know how they get this finish? It seems like the lead just doesn't completely fill the mold. I'm very new to pouring lead and I don't really know any of the tricks.

·
3,241 Posts
man, i must have just missed it, they only have on left and i dont want to pay 5 bucks to get it sent. hey kidflex i sent u a pm ignore because they cancelled my order because they only got one left.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I made initial order of over 1,000 custom bucktail jigs for flounder (fluke) for my shop.
I became sick and tired of cheap dull hooks used by most manufacturers and decided to make my own bucktail jigs. :)
In my opinion, It is not the shape of jigs, but the hooks which is important. See the success of Spro jigs which use Gamatatsu hooks. I tested the jigs last year and I observed that hook-up ratio dramatically increased with sharp Japanese hooks. As long as other companies continue to use such dull hooks for jigs, I have a bright future. Sometimes I am wondering whether they think or not. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ksong said:
As long as other companies continue to use such dull hooks for jigs, I have a bright future. Sometimes I am wondering whether they think or not. :)
They "THINK", but only about how to cut costs. That's why I generally build my own rods and make as many of my own leaders and as much of my own tackle as possible.

Not to mention satisfaction and eventual cost savings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here are the molds i'm trying to choose between:

and

the spear jig has 3 and 4oz cavities and is very proven shape. and the minnow jig has 2, 3, and 4oz cavities, looks more realistic and only costs $5 more.

·
183 Posts
Any one found a good jig head for mussel bed fishing, Im talking light ones 3/16 and smaller for fluke? Ive benn using the kalins but they habg up a lot.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Any one found a good jig head for mussel bed fishing, Im talking light ones 3/16 and smaller for fluke? Ive benn using the kalins but they habg up a lot.
the best bucktail jigs I can find is Spro bucktail jigs as shown by red34.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the best bucktail jigs I can find is Spro bucktail jigs as shown by red34.

so....you're saying i should go for the minnow shape???

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
so....you're saying i should go for the minnow shape???
Yes, those fish shape Spro jigs were deadly here.
Here are some rigs we are using here for flounder (fluke).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts