What Jighead Shape for Snapper and Grouper

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by red34, Jan 2, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

What do yall feel is the most popular and productive jig head shape for snapper and grouper? What sizes?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I would think the new Shimano Lucanus jig heads are a good candidate for your do-it-yourself project red. These DUEL Salty rubbers look pretty good too:

Angler's Pro Shop

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hammered diamond jigs are great for both snapper and grouper. no need to buy a $20 jig when a $7 jig works just as well.

also - i think a leadhead and a rubber tail would work....kind of like a halibut or lingcod jig if you're familiar with those. never tried it though sinec the hammered diamond jig works so well.

4. red34

red34 Guest

Anyone know how they get this finish? It seems like the lead just doesn't completely fill the mold. I'm very new to pouring lead and I don't really know any of the tricks.

[​IMG]

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

sorry, i cant help you there....i don't pour the jigs...i just buy them :)

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i like the ball jigs. heres some i found at basspro. same concept. 6oz and only 77cents per. i just ordered 15 to play around with.
    Offshore Angler Lazer Eye Jigheads

7. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

man, i must have just missed it, they only have on left and i dont want to pay 5 bucks to get it sent. hey kidflex i sent u a pm ignore because they cancelled my order because they only got one left.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I made initial order of over 1,000 custom bucktail jigs for flounder (fluke) for my shop.
    I became sick and tired of cheap dull hooks used by most manufacturers and decided to make my own bucktail jigs. :)
    In my opinion, It is not the shape of jigs, but the hooks which is important. See the success of Spro jigs which use Gamatatsu hooks. I tested the jigs last year and I observed that hook-up ratio dramatically increased with sharp Japanese hooks. As long as other companies continue to use such dull hooks for jigs, I have a bright future. Sometimes I am wondering whether they think or not. :)

[​IMG]

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the spro bucktail jigs have the sharpest hooks ive seen on a bucktail!

10. red34

red34 Guest

11. red34

red34 Guest

here are the molds i'm trying to choose between:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

the spear jig has 3 and 4oz cavities and is very proven shape. and the minnow jig has 2, 3, and 4oz cavities, looks more realistic and only costs $5 more.

12. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

Any one found a good jig head for mussel bed fishing, Im talking light ones 3/16 and smaller for fluke? Ive benn using the kalins but they habg up a lot.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Any one found a good jig head for mussel bed fishing, Im talking light ones 3/16 and smaller for fluke? Ive benn using the kalins but they habg up a lot.
    the best bucktail jigs I can find is Spro bucktail jigs as shown by red34.

14. red34

red34 Guest

the best bucktail jigs I can find is Spro bucktail jigs as shown by red34.

so....you're saying i should go for the minnow shape???

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

minnow shape! fo sho.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

so....you're saying i should go for the minnow shape???
    Yes, those fish shape Spro jigs were deadly here.
    Here are some rigs we are using here for flounder (fluke).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]