what jigging and popping rods for near offshore??

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by newton, Feb 20, 2009.

1. newton

newton Guest

hello guys, just registered after browsing for days. cool little forum here.

I'm on the market for a jigging rod for quite a while and i'm ready to make a decision soon. I'd really like to try this freestyle jigging. i've read about it for a couple years but never made the plunge.

I'll be fishing in up to 75' of water mostly off the panhandle. within 5 or 6 miles from shore... mild off shore. I like to see my land:D hehe.. but anyway,what gram rod should i be looking at for fishing 70' and shallower reef/tower fishing? a 300gr rod would be overkill for my app right?

one other question...are tuna popping rods intended to throw lots of weight? i was considering a tuna popper. i'm looking for a good go-to spinning outfit with a very soft tip that i can cast freeline live bait, drifting live bait and and also be used for chucking lures at mahi, kings, school tuna etc. are there popping rods in the $100 range?

any advice from the tuna pros would be very appreciative:)

thanks
    newton

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

For your app, you can just use a Shimano Trevala TFS69ML. It's 6'9", long enough to cast some live bait using a spinning reel, drift, and chunk for mahi, kings, and school tuna. It's also rated for 55-135g jigging lures, check it out here:

Trevala F Butterfly Jigging Spinning

For 75' of water, you should stick to less than 100g jigs. I have a 7' gloomis problue that I use for inshore application, its tons of fun catching kings on.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I use my 300g OTI with torium 16 exclusivly for under 150 ft.it's my favorite rod.

d-a

4. newton

newton Guest

lordhell, thanks for the reply. jigging rods can e used for tossinglive bait? i didn't think they would load.

i was looking at the travala, barefoot and the basspro rod. though i have heard some bad things about the bass pro rod, for near offshore i think it would hold up. 150gr is all i need? i'd like to get into some sizable Aj and grouper with the rod. I'd also like to use the rod for large bridge/inlet snook on occasion.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

If you wanna play with groupers and AJs, go with d-a's suggestion and get an OTI 300g rod for jigging and bottom fishing, it just won't have that great of action when using smaller < 100g jigs even though you can. You can toss live bait with it as well, it's 6ft and does a decent enough job. I don't think the jigging rod is appropriate for bridge tarpon and snook fishing, but you can always try it out and see. :D

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

If you wanna play with groupers and AJs, go with d-a's suggestion and get an OTI 300g rod for jigging and bottom fishing, it just won't have that great of action when using smaller < 100g jigs even though you can. You can toss live bait with it as well, it's 6ft and does a decent enough job. I don't think the jigging rod is appropriate for bridge tarpon and snook fishing, but you can always try it out and see. :D

Funny you mention bridge tarpon fishing, as I am going to the keys and will be targeting Tarpon under the bridges. I will have my trusty OTI 300g rod with me to see what it can do. I have already caught a 40lb Aj on it with the torium:eek: .

d-a

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah trevalas are not bad options for smaller fish inshore. i wouldnt use it to cast to big tarpon or other strong fish, but its fine for kingfish, inshore snapper, etc.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Awesome, I love my OTI 300g. Let us know how badly you whip those tarpons with it, LOL. ;)

9. newton

newton Guest

what's your opinion of the basspro and barefoot rods?? do the barefoot rods have shaped foam like most models? i can't tell by the pics.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has fished the barefoot rods. they are looking really sweet at $60:) the spinning models have guides spaced quite close together.

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I don't know about those barefoot and basspro rods. No experience with them. If you're on a tight budget, check these out instead:

Sea Magic jigging rods:

Dragon Fly Rods

Hopper jigging rods:

Hopper Custom Jigging Casting Rods

The Sea Magic 150 or 200 should be decent inshore rods.

11. newton

newton Guest

what's your opinion of the basspro and barefoot rods?? do the barefoot rods have shaped foam like most models? i can't tell by the pics.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has fished the barefoot rods. they are looking really sweet at $60:) the biggest spinign they make is a 200gr rod. is that too light for AJ's?

12. papio

papio Senior Member

I have the 4'10 Barefoot conv rod and like it very much. Tried them at the rigs for AJ but really was outgunned when trying to turn the fish away from structure. Other than that it's great rod at a nice $49 price tag when I bought it. The 200gr rod would be ok if ur on a private boat and no structure around.

Never used the BP rod but saw a customer broke one on a bend test in the store, so I never like them. Whatever u do, do not consider a Trevala unless u want to go ultralight offshore fishing.

13. papio

papio Senior Member

The Hopper is also a great rod for the money. I always take a Hopper with me on high level trips - the rod has held it's own along side Tuna Max, OTI, Patriot Design, etc.

14. newton

newton Guest

papio i was looking at the 4'10barefoot rod myself.i think it's the 400g rod. do you think that rod is fishable on a full shoulder to shoulder party boat? is the 400g rod capable of bottom fishing for grouper effectivly?

please share more about your barefoot rod. how dose it handle #20 grouper/AJ? have to hooked into any good tuna on it?

15. papio

papio Senior Member

Depends how big the groupers are. Yeah, I use all my chump change rods on PBs as I don't care too much of the abuse the rods go thru on them boats. They've held up pretty good, no broken ones yet. But u lose advantage when fish goes under the boat - more so when using short rods.

The Barefoot is thin, parabolic and surprisingly tough. If ur on a budget I would consider a Hopper rod as they are STRONG, a little more $ than the BF but worth it. I can't even break it with out hurting myself. I believe the Barefoot would snap before the Hopper.

16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

for popping rods, any 7ft mh saltwater rod will work for mahis, and kings. the oti 7'6" 50lb rod is perfect for tossing lighter lures. ive seen that rod land 60-80 tuna. also the seeker black steel 20-30lb(25lb) rod has a very soft tip with a lot of backbone. good for tossing live bait. plus the soft tip should help with fish throwing hooks.

jigging rods- you got some good replies and solid advice on that so no need for my input on that matter. good luck. i will say the 300gm oti was my first real jigging rod and is very versatile.

17. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I would stay away from the BP rods. Have seen to many of them break with fish that weren't that big. A friend broke two and decided to get his money back and went with a trevala. Trevala's are good, but lack a lot of backbone, but i have caught AJ's to 50lbs. and grouper up to about 18lbs. on them. They were definatley maxed out at that point. No experience with hopper or barefoot, but you can't go wrong with the OTI rods. I love mine.