What is the main reason for bearing failure?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bellyups, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Has anyone had a bearing lock up while fighting a fish? If so, and the bearing was in good shape before the occurence, then why do you think the failure occured? I wonder if there are certain bearings on a reel that are more prone to failure. I would think on a spinnning reel, the bearings on the spool may be more prone due to the heat from the drag. I also wonder what lubrication would be more reliable in a prolonged battle with a fish. There are so many different types of lubes, from oils, to grease, to synthetic coatings that are essentially dry (many bicycle chain lubricants).

The last thing I want when fighting a big fish is reel failure. If drags become too hot, then I would think frequent servicing of the drags may be the best method to prevent reel failures. I usually clean and regrease my drags and oil my bearings before a hard core tuna trip, and I am wondering if there are ways to fine tune the performance from a durability stand point.

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Well have never had a bearing in a reel fail.
    But, I grew up skateboarding and had many bearing failures with my skateboards.
    It seemed that the main cause of failure was either dirt/debris in the bearing itself, heat or both.
    In my reels I always have used one drop.
    This is what I have been using for as long as I can remember... Its for skateboard/skate bearings but it really can't be that much different than what a "fishing reel lube" actually consists of.

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

in the automotive world- the main cause of bearing failure was lack of lubrication... the lubrication serves as a lubricant, and heat displacer- and also moves debris in some sort of filter. without the lube, you will have heat and debris will add to the friction.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I had one case.
    While fighting a 250 lbs yft on a jig over an hour, my Satiga 50's handle got frozen. At that time my reel was very hot. Someone suggested it was bearing lock problem due to heat of the reel.
    I asked a tackle owner to sen my reel to Daiwa to find the cause. But he just gave me a new reel.:confused:

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Bearing problems for me....
    Neglect and or from improper cleaning.
    When my life alowed me to fish an average of 2.5 days a week in the bays or gulf. A fresh water wash down was ok.
    But for reels and rods that where not used as often better cleaning is required. As noted buy Al's reel maintaince posts.
    I have blown up gears on new tackle, but not a bearing.

Ike leveled a fish camp that I had custom rods and lever drag rigs in and they were recovered from being buried in sand. They were dug out from the debries and washed down and even set in a swiming pool for 2 days to rinse. Most where locked up. They are now with my reel guy and I expect all rotating parts will need to be serviced or replaced......

For the good stuff clean it like it was a gun..

My post is not about so much the title thread but more about
    keeping stuff in new condition as that is the condition that works best.

Kev.

Oh and when cleaning and lubing a reel don't do it in your lap in an over
    stuffed chair, parts will become missing.
    Use the dining room table....

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Kil, I am aware of the problem you had and it is the main reason I started this thread. I will be fishing for good sized YFT in the GOM December, January, and hopefully February. I don't want to lose a nice fish to a bearing or drag.

I will stick to my plans relube bearings and regrease drags after each trip if the reel receives heavy use.

Currently, I have been using a bicycle chain lube that is very slick. It dries on the bearings. I figure I can keep them very clean with this lube, but I am not sure it is the best lube for the bearings. It works awesome for bicycle chains. I read a recent post on another board and it looks like Alantini is now using corrosion X on most of his bearings. He also will use Yamaha grease on the bearings. I am wondering if there is any advantage to grease, dry lubes, or oils in preventing seizure.

Thanks everyone, this is an interesting thread to me.

I had one case.
    While fighting a 250 lbs yft on a jig over an hour, my Satiga 50's handle got frozen. At that time my reel was very hot. Someone suggested it was bearing lock problem due to heat of the reel.
    I asked a tackle owner to sen my reel to Daiwa to find the cause. But he just gave me a new reel.:confused:

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The number one cause of bearing failure is Excessive loads.
    The solution is to reduce the load or use a bigger bearing.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am notorious for breaking reels. :)
    I am one of the first guys who broke anti-reverse gear of Torium.
    I am the first guy who jammed the cap and drag washer of Saragosa 18000F when a big tuna took almost 250 yards on 25 lbs drag. Shimano examined my reel and they finally upgraded Saragosa reels after a few same problems were reported.
    I broke ball bearings of Zeebaas reels after I fought nice bluefin with it. Zeebaas is planning to install stronger ball bearings.
    Recently John Baker's handle got disengaged while fighting small cod with it.
    No reels are safe in my hands. :)

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I am notorious for breaking reels. :)
    I am one of the first guys who broke anti-reverse gear of Torium.
    I am the first guy who jammed the cap and drag washer of Saragosa 18000F when a big tuna took almost 250 yards on 25 lbs drag. Shimano examined my reel and they finally upgraded Saragosa reels after a few same problems were reported.
    I broke ball bearings of Zeebaas reels after I fought nice bluefin with it. Zeebaas is planning to install stronger ball bearings.
    Recently John Baker's handle got disengaged while fighting small cod with it.
    No reels are safe in my hands. :)

What about your Saltigas conventional? Have you busted anything in those things yet?

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

What about your Saltigas conventional? Have you busted anything in those things yet?
    It last only one season before getting service. :)

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

See Kil's previous post about handle freezing up on it.

d-a

13. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Scott ..... I had a bearing freeze up on my Torium 30 almost right out of the box. At Roy's (the Shimano place here in CC) they told me there were some problems with them initially and they repaired it free ..... and I've handled some really big fish with it since then with no problem.

14. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

in the automotive world- the main cause of bearing failure was lack of lubrication... the lubrication serves as a lubricant, and heat displacer- and also moves debris in some sort of filter. without the lube, you will have heat and debris will add to the friction.

Totally agree. If the bearing lube leaks out then this allows the bearings to be exposed to the element. Can develop surface rust or salt or dirt to get in it. Once the bearing gets hot then it will seize and failure will happen. Usually high end reels use quailty sealed bearings with high temp lube. They dont usually have failure.

My Stradic 8000 was exposed to the element and my bearing seized on me. Thank goodness it wasnt a big fish when it locked up on me. I had to bring the fish in by hand. :) Shimano rebuild the reel for me and I sold it.