360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think that all tunas are hard fighters, but is there a certain specie that you think fights harder? also, which tuna is more delicious?

G

·
from what ive experienced....bluefin.

some say cows fight harder so ill defer to them as ive not caught one. but bluefin def fight much much harder than yellowfin. totally different animal.

also...i dont count skipjack or blackfin in this conversation.

G

·
even an 80lb bluefin will trash an 80lb yellowin in my experience though. longfin are nice and feisty but its not the same. a yellowfin wont dive 1000 feet and bury its face into the mud.

·
726 Posts
i agree Bret. I have been thinking about it now and I would definitely give my vote for a BFT. We fought one last year for over 6 hours at 40lbs. drag and it still whipped us.Never had the opportunity to fight a longfin.

·
857 Posts
people say that blackfins for there size are some of the hardestfight tuna... could you imagine a 800lb blackfin:eek:

G

·
i dont really agree. its way too tough to say when you compare a tiny fish to a big fish. sure a smaller baitfish is gonna be scrappy and fight hard....they gotta worry about being eaten constantly!!! but very big fish do not. so, a 100lb tuna will obiously fight differently than a 30lber. in panama we saw this. 20-50lb yellowfin fought different than 100+ models. some are bait and some arent. once they get bigger the fight is different. more steady...but stronger. its not the spaz out attacks of the smaller fish.

anyway, just what ive seen. :)

·
21 Posts
I've never caught a bft before - just curious for those who've had the chance at both bft and GT - which fights harder - say both in the 100lb class.

I've only experienced GTs and doggies and both fight pretty hard.

·
2,924 Posts
Hot water tuna are much tougher. You can catch a Bluefin in 60 degree water and he will roll right up. Put that same fish in 70 degree water and you have a load of trouble on your hands.

Really Jim I thought it was the opposite, I thought the bluefins in the cooler water towards october fought much much harder than the ones caught in June and july. I know Dom has made mention of similar thoughts. I also found that the deeper the water and closer to the bottom the harder they fought

·
2,924 Posts
I've never caught a bft before - just curious for those who've had the chance at both bft and GT - which fights harder - say both in the 100lb class.

I would think it would be hard to make the comparsin now I haven't caught a GT but most of my compadres have. 100 pound GT's are rare The GT lives in pretty shallow water but the fight is harder because of the tough conditions, reefs, etc. They are freight trains from what I hear.

Bluefins are brute force, long runs and they settle in vertically more in lines with a doggie fight except the BFT don't have a air bladder that makes they float towards the end like a doggie. They fight until the very last circle

·
Site Sponsor
816 Posts

Yellow fin tuna over 200lb in warmer water such is Panama or Mexico is one of the toughest fish that i personally encounter, in my opinion they are the strongest, if they grow up to a 1000lb they will smoke the BFT,

GT is a brutal fighter but if you hold on tight and know what you are doing and using the right technique you will win the battle, i call it short and brutal,
i have a great respect for them and they are one of my favorite fish to catch
encountering a 100lb+ is a life time experience,

Doggies has the most amazing run that will register in your mind for the rest of your life (especially if you lose the fish:D )

BFT are strong fighter if you encounter them in warmer water as Jim stated,
i caught BFT tuna in the MED and in the East coast of the US and i assure you that they fight stronger in the MED for the sake of the warmer water
we have to respect their sizes as we really don't know what we will encounter.
we fought couple of nice size one this year in open water (700feet) and they definitely fought harder then the one caught in 200 feet or less.

G

·
Yellow fin tuna over 200lb in warmer water such is Panama or Mexico is one of the toughest fish that i personally encounter, in my opinion they are the strongest, if they grow up to a 1000lb they will smoke the BFT,

GT is a brutal fighter but if you hold on tight and know what you are doing and using the right technique you will win the battle, i call it short and brutal,
i have a great respect for them and they are one of my favorite fish to catch
encountering a 100lb+ is a life time experience,

Doggies has the most amazing run that will register in your mind for the rest of your life (especially if you lose the fish:D )

BFT are strong fighter if you encounter them in warmer water as Jim stated,
i caught BFT tuna in the MED and in the East coast of the US and i assure you that they fight stronger in the MED for the sake of the warmer water
we have to respect their sizes as we really don't know what we will encounter.
we fought couple of nice size one this year in open water (700feet) and they definitely fought harder then the one caught in 200 feet or less.

thanks, sami :)

interesting point you said about yellowfin in warmer waters. i dont think the yellowfin in the GOM fight any tougher than ive seen elsewhere - but never had the luck to get one thats 200lbs either :p

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Pick a weight that they all could reach, say 150#.

1) bigeye(without question)
2) bft or yft(depends on where you are(water depth, temperature, whatever...)

I don't know about doggies but I think part of there challange is the reef and structure they like to pop you off in. But as far as East coast style, bigeye without question, IMO.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts