What is Swordfish water?

Discussion in 'Billfish' started by Deep_Sea_Gull, May 24, 2006.

1. hawgs

hawgs Member

This might be better as a new topic, but thought I'd try here anyhow... what kind of rigs are you all using for swordfish? I assume its a deep rig with squid on it? I might try this on my upcoming overnighter.

2. hawgs

hawgs Member

Must be a secret. ;)

3. jedi243

jedi243 Member

OK, 12-15 ft of 300 lb leader with a 12/0 7691 or equivalent sized circle rigged through the head and body of a 2-5 lb squid. Attach this to your ball bearing snap swivel along with a glowstick or electralume and a break away weight between 20 and 32 oz. Put multiple set ups like this out between 75 and 400 ft and hold on tight. With the J hooks make sure they are very sharp and set them like a circle.

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Well said Jedi243.

I think live bait will work as well as squid if not better. JMO

5. bellyup

bellyup Guest

Well said Jedi243.

I think live bait will work as well as squid if not better. JMO

Yep, I am ready to drop a small blackfin tuna with most of its tail cut off on the next big E trip.

6. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

Hawgs, You will not get to many people to tell you how the rig for swords. Everyone thinks they have thier own magic combo. I have what works for me and I would probaly not tell my wife how I do it. But all of the information on swordfish can be found at www.swordfishingcentral.com of course the best way to find out how to do it is first hand. And we do have the full moon coming up. I will let out one thing to you DON'T USE BIG SQUID they should be no longer than 12-14"
    Capt. Mike

7. hawgs

hawgs Member

Hawgs, You will not get to many people to tell you how the rig for swords. Everyone thinks they have thier own magic combo. I have what works for me and I would probaly not tell my wife how I do it. But all of the information on swordfish can be found at www.swordfishingcentral.com of course the best way to find out how to do it is first hand. And we do have the full moon coming up. I will let out one thing to you DON'T USE BIG SQUID they should be no longer than 12-14"
    Capt. Mike
    Thanks Capt. Mike. I am going to try and make an overnight run next weekend, I might give it a shot after the late night Tuna bite lets up.

We usually try and make at trip to Grand Isle once a year, maybe we'll have to make our way over to Veince and head out with you and learn from a pro. ;)

8. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

I will do my best to put you on a sword. I am fishing them again in two days. I am trying to stay on top of them.
    Capt. Mike

9. seaveyor

seaveyor Guest

Up here in the NE, we never fish for swords in anything less than 100 fathoms, now after saying that there are exceptions like a week ago while chunking for tuna, a break in the temp went from 70 deg. to 73.5 deg. in 480feet of water. The bite on tuna and swords was unreal, most of the boats had at least 1 sword and there were about 40 boats in the Spencer canyon off NJ. that night. By the way sardines seem to be getting more poplar as bait, while chunking with the butterfish. Of course live squid is the best for all fish.

10. fishterrorizer

fishterrorizer Guest

hey ya'll wanna try some thing new try trolling a glow in the dark widerange on a planner to cover more ground it is really simple and it really works well on the dark side and on the full moon and thats all I will say about that get out there and find out what works and go with it...

11. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

hey ya'll wanna try some thing new try trolling a glow in the dark widerange on a planner to cover more ground it is really simple and it really works well on the dark side and on the full moon and thats all I will say about that get out there and find out what works and go with it...

I know this is an old post but does anyone have a suggestion on trolling speed?