What is it doing [ sail fish ]

Discussion in 'Billfish' started by red hunter, Dec 27, 2011.

1. red hunter

red hunter Senior Member

Guys I went fishing monday and for the first time I saw a sail fish on the suface its big dorsal fin out of the water , there was no sign of bait fish around and it seemed to be the only one , I was within casting distance to I lopped a popper at it with no joy , so what do you do when this happens and what is it doing ?

2. edgarz

edgarz Senior Member

3. red hunter

red hunter Senior Member

Sunbathing?
    Good on ya , maybe I should have thrown some sun screen at it .:D

4. edgarz

edgarz Senior Member

I have seen whales motionless in the water with just their tails pointing skywards. They are a sight to behold.

5. bunker

bunker Senior Member

I agree, biologists say its a way sails cool off similar to a heat sink on motors

6. madday

madday Fishing Guru

cast the popper and aim between the eye....? :p

7. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

a lot of bill fish take sun baths. we saw once a blue marlin in the dry tortugas area, we casted anithing we has on out tacke and i did not move, so we figured it was dead or injured, we got closer and try to harpoon it and it ran away after the mate missed the shot....

8. concept3

concept3 Site Sponsor

I agree, biologists say its a way sails cool off similar to a heat sink on motors

Yes.

9. carlosburitica

a lot of bill fish take sun baths. we saw once a blue marlin in the dry tortugas area, we casted anithing we has on out tacke and i did not move, so we figured it was dead or injured, we got closer and try to harpoon it and it ran away after the mate missed the shot....

10. carlosburitica

how is that possible i replied and it posted twice, you know is the second time it happened to me in the last few days.... weird.

11. red hunter

red hunter Senior Member

Thanks guys , it was a very hot day and it did seem to be waving its dorsal fin about ,

12. tiddler

tiddler Member

dont trust these biologists!
    heatsinks are highly conductive - fins are not
    the surface temp of the sea is a lot higher than deeper down
    and theres no water above the fish to filter out the radiating heat
    you sunbathe to get warm, not to cool off
    if it wants to get cool, it just has to dive down a few metres!!

13. mtbrider

mtbrider Senior Member

Send a bridled live bait its way...you'll hook up

14. mtbrider

mtbrider Senior Member

buddy of mine saw the same thing the other day

[​IMG]

15. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

they are SAILfish....they were sailing....

you guys are too bogged down in drag settings, line breaking strengths and japanese conversion charts....you missed the simple answer!

16. oilpatch

oilpatch Senior Member

they are SAILfish....they were sailing....

you guys are too bogged down in drag settings, line breaking strengths and japanese conversion charts....you missed the simple answer!
    lmao:)

Bull likes this.
  17. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

Why would someone want to harpoon a blue marlin?

I can't even imagine that unless you were starving.

18. stellaSW10

stellaSW10 Banned

HARPOON IT ! c'mon dude....really:(

19. Pope

Pope Senior Member

What's weirder is how a marlin ran! Lol
    Just ribbing you a bit.

20. pompeypat

pompeypat Senior Member

It's pretty common to see sail fish on the surface with sail out in Rompin Malaysia...some not moving, others just lazily finning along. At times we see them 100 yards off the boat while hooked up on another running off.
    Hampton Surf...you started my day with a smile thanks :)