What is a good Tuna chunking rod?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by YMMV, May 27, 2008.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

I have been doing some searching for a nice tuna chunking rod. I was looking at having a 700H built but them seem to be more popular for jigging. Any rods you guys would rec? Thanks.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

high end the guys are buying
    SS 55XXH
    GF7465M
    DRAGON with titanium rollers;)
    we just did 2 7460M
    they would be good for bigger fish,
    for cheaper i have a few that the guys use for chunking and deep dropping
    boomer blank
    660XXH
    and a few other models

3. ALW

ALW Senior Member

There is a 100lb rod on ebay for $50 called Barefoot. 4ft 11in. Fugi guides. I have two of them and they work fine. A Penn roller rod works fine as well. A Calstar baby boomer roller rod would also be a good choice.

4. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I use a Calstar 6460XH Roller Rod - great 80lb class rod, not graphite, but easy on the angler.

Tom - DBG

5. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

I've been using CHAOS rods for chunking for over 2 years now and have been very happy with them!!!

Thanks
    nick a

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have only caught 4 tuna on chunks or other bait and on all of them, used the Calstar 760H roller rod. It seemed a little harder on me than I expected a 6 foot rod to be, but I have to admit that a lot of that was attributable to old age and poor conditioning--never a good pair. On the July 76 hour trip, I am anxious to try out the Braid rod I purchased from Glenn which is 5 1/2 feet and has a reputation of being easier on the body. I also plan to try out the 7465H rail rod which I have no doubt will be more brutal on my lower back than it will be on the tuna--unless I learn to use the rail quickly. It is interesting you mention the 700H--I have one of those I may try out as well.

Russ

7. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

UR,

I hope your not refering to the powerplay rod. I've heard it has a nice tip so its ok for lighter fish but damn no G.O.M tuna stands a chance against that rod. What reel do you have on it/ what line.

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

9. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Seeker bsc 6455xxh 5 1/2 ara seeker classic series for around $300 its a hell of a rod.

10. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Bar-Bar has Super Seeker Project X rods 60-100lb with Wind on Aftco rollers that are a very good buy. I have two of these rods, one with interchangeable butts (short bent and straight).

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

newkid: I will probably mount the same reel Glenn had on it--an ATD50W with about 3/4 of a mile of 130 on it--or maybe the ATD12 with the same line only less of it. I really am hoping it will be more forgiving than the 760H (with which I am still alive after boating a yellowfin, but almost wishing I was not.)

P.S. I have no idea how good this rod will be on Gulf fish. All I care about is that it is superior to Drifter's Bar Bar. :D

Russ

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Seeker bsc 6455xxh 5 1/2 ara seeker classic series for around $300 its a hell of a rod.

This is what I use and this rod is also used for livebait AJ work. I love the rod. You can find lighter, fancier, and more expensive stuff but this is a great little workhorse. Guides aren't the largest, but most narrow knots with spectra to mono will work through reasonably well.

13. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Since I haven't seen my favorite mentioned yet, I'll chime in with the following:

CS GF760M

The rod is marginal as a true 100lb rod (should try and keep it to 30lbs drag max), but for 80lb, it's fantastic. The rod is long enough to give you some clearance on a headboat and short enough to comfortably fish from a harness.

For chunking in the GOM, an 80lb rod is all you'll need. Pair the 760M with an Accurate ATD12, Penn 16vsx, 20 or 30, or Tiagra 16 or 20 and you're good to go.

There are better choices for more specific applications like fighting rail rodding or heavy stand-up from a full harness, but for all around tuna fishing it's pretty good.

14. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

UR,

(hey G if your reading this feel free to chime in and correct me if im wrong)
    I seriously doubt you will encounter anything in the gulf that will beat that setup, that is unless of course you manage to find the mother of all swords, or one mean sob mako that would rival something from that retarted movie deep blue sea, other than that, you should be just fine. Good luck:cool:

15. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Since I haven't seen my favorite mentioned yet, I'll chime in with the following:

CS GF760M

The rod is marginal as a true 100lb rod (should try and keep it to 30lbs drag max), but for 80lb, it's fantastic. The rod is long enough to give you some clearance on a headboat and short enough to comfortably fish from a harness.

For chunking in the GOM, an 80lb rod is all you'll need. Pair the 760M with an Accurate ATD12, Penn 16vsx, 20 or 30, or Tiagra 16 or 20 and you're good to go.

There are better choices for more specific applications like fighting rail rodding or heavy stand-up from a full harness, but for all around tuna fishing it's pretty good.
    i was close to the 760M..
    but those 2 i mentioned have a little more length and balls then the standard 760M
    really good for bigger fish we get chunking

16. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

For chunking?
    Reel, line, Floro leader, hook size, bait size, 1st!!!!
    Rod??
    One that fits you and pick up a 3\4 filled 5gal pail of water.
    What I am saying is the right bait &rig to get bit, the right reel
    to retreive the fish. And a axe handle rod to fight with.
    Chunk and deep drop rods do not need to be a GQ rod.
    But need to be strong.

Paul knows what you need.

Kev

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

newkid:I suspect you are right. I know Glenn has landed some huge fish on the rod. I figure that right about now, it should be all worn out. :) But I will tell you what I told Glenn: If I ever get a 500 pound tuna on--on any rig--my personal method of fighting that fish may well be to turn to the nearest young stud with more muscle than brains and say: "Hey, newkid, would you be nice enough to reel in this little old fish for Uncle Russ?" :D Then, if you were real lucky, then hell, I might just cut you off a pound or so of it to take home. Don't anyone ever accuse Uncle Russ of being ungenerous.

Russ

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I am anxious to try out the Braid rod I purchased from Glenn which is 5 1/2 feet and has a reputation of being easier on the body.
    Russ

UR,
    Nobody has a chance to buy anything on this board as long as you keep buying everything. Give some of us little guys a break.

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Uh, right MrBill. Let's see, I'm trying to remember how long it took the ATD 50W to disappear! :)

With high rollers like you and me and Gunsmoke lurking around, the "little guy" has slim pickings for sure. Hell, when I go to Vegas they give me a complimentary room at Motel 6 with only a couple of brown stains on the carpet, yellow sheets, and a couple of one-dollar chips. Don't get in my way, Son.

Russ

20. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

chunking- Calstar WC-6455xxh 60-100#
    E-glass composite. very nice on big AJ's &
    50-70# class tunas. not too spendy either
    I've fished an off the shelf rod for 5 years
    w/ no complaints
    tight lines
    -Brian