What hooks on a subsurface?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jig, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

I was putting my Owner st66 3/0 on a Tailwalk Gunz 140, and they just look huge. They don't look as big in the pic as they do in person. Is this what ya'll use? Seems like it would have to affect action. Look okay on the 180. What do you think? Also, do you put them with one hook forward or the two hooks forward? Thanks, never done this before.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

That's perfect size fit for the 140 gunz. Orientation-wise, it doesn't matter really. I use 4/0 on my 180 gunz.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

try the st66 2/0 on the smaller lures. i sometimes i put a smaller 2/0 or 3/0 on the body and a larger hook and the tail end. all depends on the size of the lure. you definitely dont want the 2 hooks to be able to hook each other(similar rule with bass lures).

4. jig

jig Senior Member

I put 2/0 trebles on the 140 Gunz last night, and it sure seems to be more in proportion. I think I will leave them. 3/0 trebles looked fine on the 180 Gunz and 186 Shibuki.

Of course, what do I know?:)

Thanks for the answers.

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I agree w/B... Try 2/0 on smaller Gunz and 3/0 on larger. I usually make sure hook is wider than body so they'll hopefully still get stuck even if body is in the way. Not saying that the bigger hooks would be bad, just my take on it.

Rig the single, in-line point forward on the belly and rearward on the tail. This is so belly hook will straddle the body and rear will point up like a rudder when swimming.

Like Brian, I'll sometimes use larger hook on rear. I really like using a big single hook too. Look at the Decoy JS-1 Jigging Single Sargeant. These are big hooks. To me, 7/0 is good all-around size for smaller poppers and swimmers and 8/0 is good for bigger poppers. Since they're in line with eye, you can rig these point up on rear.

Will try to remember to post pix when I get home...

6. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Rig the single, in-line point forward on the belly and rearward on the tail. This is so belly hook will straddle the body and rear will point up like a rudder when swimming....

Thats how I do it too on pretty much all lures with a treble. The front hook will lay flat when the lure is moving forward. Most prerigged lures will come like this.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

Really? I would have thought opposite. The two hooks forward on front, so they are not sheilded by the lure, and two hooks facing back on rear, so these are pointing up when swimming.

BTW, I just got back from FTU. They don't have ST66, but they did have some VMC 4x trebles that I could not bend for all my trying. Plus, box of 25 4/0 was only $11 (about same as 6 ST66). The 4/0 size VMC was same as 2/0 ST66. So I got a box for my smaller lures. I know, they are not as good as ST66, but if I cannot bend them with pliers, I think they will be okay with 20# of drag.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Jig,

Like you, I thought the plier test was adequate for testing treble hooks.That was three years ago. I now know that strange things happen to treble hooks that you thought were indestructible.

All sorts of things will contribute to a bent treble hook. Trust me, I've had at least a dozen open up on me. Some will get crushed in the mouth by the fishes jaw. Some will open up when using heavy drag pressure. I've lost a few that were only hooked by the trailing treble that had only one hook in the upper jaw.

The majority of the bent hooks will happen when both trebles hook into the fish. The one that gets a "Outside Body" hook will normally bend first. It's a leverage thing. If both trebles are hooked somewhere on the tuna, you have a great chance of landing the fish using 25#s of drag. Sometimes both trebles will body hooked without a single hook in the mouth.

You never know how well the fish is hooked until the fish hits the deck. If just the lure comes back with a bent treble (lost fish), you will switch to a minimum ST66. Those 4X VMCs aren't as strong as ST66's. I've even bent one ST76. I thought that would never happen. It takes a vise to straighten out one of those ST76 trebles.

If I was you, I would limit my drag pressure to around 15#s using the VMC's. They are good hooks, but everything has it's limits. You can't beat the price of the VMC's. Just be cautious if targeting large fish with heavy drag pressure. You can catch a 100-175# tuna with 15#s of drag, but it will take some time. Just be patient and hope your fellow fisherman on-board are even tempered and don't cut your line.:) Some people get frustrated watching the school of tuna disappear while you send forever on a fish.:D

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I use st66 on tailwalk 160 and 180.
    also got them on cubera 100/125 poppers, shibuki, smith runboh

10. jig

jig Senior Member

Mr. Bill,

Thanks. I confess I screwed up, as I know some of the better manufacturer's use the VMC and I put some trust in them. However, I now realize those are the 6x VMC, not the 4x. As I posted somewhere else, I spent yesterday doing some low level destruction testing. I didn't put more than 60-65# pressure on them; I think that is about the limit. So I will fish 15# or maybe a little more drag and only hook up with small fish. :)

As I upgrade terminal tackle, I will stick to the better stuff.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i use as big of hooks as i can, jigging and popping. when you move the lure through the water, the hook is part of the attractant IMO. that being siad, i agree with brian in that i dont want them to be able to easily hook themselves.

gama 4x or st-66 are what i use. 4/0 or 5/0.

12. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

my runboh gets the: Gammy 4x 3/0
    the shibuki gets the: Gammy 4x 5/0 for fun... I've rigged the front hook with 5/0 and back with 3/0

and yes, the hooks look "really big". Maybe i can swtich the back to a single gammy live bait 4x 9/0

13. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

what about hooks for a flitz 42?

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

To me, the shibuki has the best action with a 3/0 hook.

d-a

15. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Shibuki has best action with 3/0, like Doug says.

I use 4/0 as hookup ratio has worked better for me vs sacrifice in action.

5/0 will effect shibukis vibration...

16. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Guys, what size hooks have worked on Flitz?

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

For tuna? Or dolphin?

d-a

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Either, I just bought some to expiriment with but on that size lure I'm sure the hook makes a difference too. I looked online and saw reco for st66 but no mention of size

19. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

I believe flitz is # 2. I have not tried one offshore.

20. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I believe flitz is # 2. I have not tried one offshore.

Or you can get the st-66 size 1 for it.

d-a

21. jig

jig Senior Member

Is an Owner st66 1/0 too big for a Flitz 42?