360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
69 Posts
Calstar does make a factory wrapped 800L.

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know that but there hard to find in queens NY. Any other rod manufacturer make anything close?

·
69 Posts
Seeker Black Steel 270-8 rated 15-25# or the Black Steel 270H-8 rated 20-30# or Super Seeker 6480-8 rated 20-40.

The factory wrapped 800l is very popular in the west coast. I'm sure you could get order one from one of the shops over here.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
OK I am looking for a factory built rod not made by calstar that is close to gfx800l

Look at the seeker eastcoast rods..I dont know is they make a 8' rod..

The only other is the lamiglas triflex...

Why dont you want a Calstar???

·
105 Posts
For NY Bottom Fishing, the GUSA 80 Mega Mag will do everything the 800L does, at almost half the weight (Calstar = 8.555oz, 80 Mega = 4.9oz). Price on a factory custom for a GUSA 80 Mega Mag is $325, and comes in 7, 7'6, and 8' lengths.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
For NY Bottom Fishing, the GUSA 80 Mega Mag will do everything the 800L does, at almost half the weight (Calstar = 8.555oz, 80 Mega = 4.9oz). Price on a factory custom for a GUSA 80 Mega Mag is $325, and comes in 7, 7'6, and 8' lengths.

WOW what a deal ...There ya go...I didnt even think of it..

Thats a great rod..I have one in 7' sweet...........:cool:

·
4 Posts
I realize I am resurrecting an old thread and I'm doing a custom rod vs factory but I'm trying to understand the difference between a GFX800L and a GF800L. One dealer shows the GFX800L is a moderate taper vs fast for the GF800L. Also the butt is bigger on the GF800L. I don't even find it on Calstar's website.

Has anyone pulled on both?

Thanks, Jim

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Jim The GF is fast action composite rod The GFX is a mod/fast action..Its better design for braid & east-coast fishing...its also thinner ...The GF inshore rods are better suited for west-coast fishing they have a bit of tip flop..The GFX better for east-coast fishing less tip flop..

If your in the LI NY area I have both rods & your more than welcome to check them out...

I have to agree with Billy GUSA now United Composites Mega Mag is a great blank..Also there CA blanks much better than Calstar IMO..But you have to go custom...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts