What factory built rod is closest to a Calstar GFX800l?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by stresst, Aug 21, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Looking for a backup rod closest to my 800L. Thanks

2. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Calstar does make a factory wrapped 800L.

3. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Yeah I know that but there hard to find in queens NY. Any other rod manufacturer make anything close?

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

5. stresst

stresst Senior Member

OK I am looking for a factory built rod not made by calstar that is close to gfx800l

6. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Seeker Black Steel 270-8 rated 15-25# or the Black Steel 270H-8 rated 20-30# or Super Seeker 6480-8 rated 20-40.

The factory wrapped 800l is very popular in the west coast. I'm sure you could get order one from one of the shops over here.

7. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

OK I am looking for a factory built rod not made by calstar that is close to gfx800l

Look at the seeker eastcoast rods..I dont know is they make a 8' rod..

The only other is the lamiglas triflex...

Why dont you want a Calstar???

8. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

For NY Bottom Fishing, the GUSA 80 Mega Mag will do everything the 800L does, at almost half the weight (Calstar = 8.555oz, 80 Mega = 4.9oz). Price on a factory custom for a GUSA 80 Mega Mag is $325, and comes in 7, 7'6, and 8' lengths.

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

For NY Bottom Fishing, the GUSA 80 Mega Mag will do everything the 800L does, at almost half the weight (Calstar = 8.555oz, 80 Mega = 4.9oz). Price on a factory custom for a GUSA 80 Mega Mag is $325, and comes in 7, 7'6, and 8' lengths.

WOW what a deal ...There ya go...I didnt even think of it..

Thats a great rod..I have one in 7' sweet...........:cool:

10. JimS

JimS Junior member

I realize I am resurrecting an old thread and I'm doing a custom rod vs factory but I'm trying to understand the difference between a GFX800L and a GF800L. One dealer shows the GFX800L is a moderate taper vs fast for the GF800L. Also the butt is bigger on the GF800L. I don't even find it on Calstar's website.

Has anyone pulled on both?

Thanks, Jim

11. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Jim The GF is fast action composite rod The GFX is a mod/fast action..Its better design for braid & east-coast fishing...its also thinner ...The GF inshore rods are better suited for west-coast fishing they have a bit of tip flop..The GFX better for east-coast fishing less tip flop..

If your in the LI NY area I have both rods & your more than welcome to check them out...

I have to agree with Billy GUSA now United Composites Mega Mag is a great blank..Also there CA blanks much better than Calstar IMO..But you have to go custom...

12. stresst

stresst Senior Member

This thread is 3+ years old. ;)