What essentially is the difference.......

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Dave Nowlin, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Senior Member

in setting up a jigging outfit with Stella 5000SW with 40# JB hollow core and fishing for big AJs and setting up a Stella 20000SW with 80# or heavier braid and fishing for 300#+ BFT. In each case the fish is very strong and you must use your drag properly to keep from being broken off. This may very well be the poor mans way to experience the maximum this jigging sport has to offer.

2. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

well i would be using 40 lb braid if i was fishing for giant amberjack, and i dont uderstand what your trying to say

in setting up a jigging outfit with Stella 5000SW with 40# JB hollow core and fishing for big AJs and setting up a Stella 20000SW with 80# or heavier braid and fishing for 300#+ BFT. In each case the fish is very strong and you must use your drag properly to keep from being broken off. This may very well be the poor mans way to experience the maximum this jigging sport has to offer.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

not sure what your subject line means but personally I wouldn't be using 40# braid for large amberjacks. You generally need 20-30 pounds to stop them to begin with never mind the large ones. I would be using the 20000 and 80 braid for amberjacks as well as tuna

4. Dave Nowlin

My point exactly. Most will use the larger tackle. I feel this is a similar challenge to the 20000Sw with 80# fighting a 300#+ BFT. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

My point exactly. Most will use the larger tackle. I feel this is a similar challenge to the 20000Sw with 80# fighting a 300#+ BFT. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

awesome best of luck Ive seen them landed on light tackle just a challenge

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It depends on situation. If you fight AJ in open water, you can use light lines for them, but you got to use heavier line if you have to fight AJ and structures.

7. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

East coast, Carolina's you may get away with that, definitely not in texas/la! Too much in the way of really nasty structure to deal with, big risk of a break-off just pulling away from the rigs! Down here, I prefer 100# braid with 200# leader at a minimum around heavy structure.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i wouldnt try 40lb braid even in NC! those babies get freakin big. i had 100 xp and sometimes felt undergunned.

9. Dave Nowlin

It's simply a challenge. In the Florida Panhandle fishing less than 300 of water and around wrecks, I believe it can be done. Sure I'll get broke off some but there is something to be considered. The more pressure you put on a fish, the more it panics. If I fish 15# of drag with 4 & 5 oz hammered diamond jigs with very sharp hooks the only problem I should have on a private boat is breakoffs. If I don't put extreme pressure on the fish and get it clear of structure he should eventually be mine. With the limited pressure there is less chance of a hook pulling. The way I rig my assist hook drives the hook in on hookset. The way most folks seem to be rigging them does the opposite. I exit the eye of the hook on the same side as the point. The pivot point is the eye of the hook. The pressure on the front of the eye will swing the hook point inward and up. When you exit the eye from the back you pull the point out and away. This isn't rocket science, just applied mechanics. Don't believe me set up a test. You will become a believer.

10. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Dave - exit from the eye on the point side makes sense to me!:)