1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting one, 225 isn't too bad either campered to a trevala IMO
What else is out there for 200 bucks??

·
1,201 Posts
There are a lot of good reel companies out there.
There are a lot of good rod companies out there.
Precious little need to be the guinea pig and see which few overlap.

·
1,366 Posts
the OTI are 259 may be another choice
i think ty2philly just got one:D
he may have some input

Paul,

Thanks for the mention.
Indeed I did get one. I should arrive on Tuesday.
I decided to pick up this rod becaue I had the opportunity to check it out at Paul's shop. I was very impressed with how it felt and looked.

I also considered the Accurate Xnergy Rods. But went with the OTI 600g because I know there will be no guessing work with how well it will hold up.

Prior to the OTI 600g rod I purchased and returned the following three rods because they just did not have the backbone needed for jigging:

BassPro Shop Off Shore Angler Free Style Trigger Rod
50-100 LB 6'6'' MH

BassPro Shop Off Shore Angler Free Style Trigger Rod
80-200 LB 6'0'' XH

Penn International Torque Jigging Casting Rod
80-130 LB 5'8"

All three rods cost $99 each. They all look good, but in the end I did not feel confident they would hold up to my upcoming trip in Willmington NC - Amber Jack JigFest trip.

I also purchased the Barefoot Jigging Rod. Unfortunately the company went out of busines, but you can pick up the rods very cheap. Its a very nice rod work keeping as a lighter weight (300g lure weight) class of rod. The rod wraps are very attractive.

Speaking of nice rod wraps; next month I will have Paul build me a custom spiral wrap rod for a tuna jigging trip I will be doing.

The bottom line is I went threw a few budget rods only to settle on spending a little more money in order to get a much better rod. So my advice echoes Paul's which is to consider the OTI 600g rod. I am sure you will be very happy with it because you can rest assure that it will hold up, its good looking, very light, and most importantly a beast of a rod!

P.S.
Send Paul a personal message, maybe he can get you a good deal on one of the nice rods he builds. I have been to his shop a couple times. They are very nice rods, and he is a good guy to boot.

Ty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts