What do you consider when buying a reel

Discussion in 'Reels' started by N2Tuna, Feb 25, 2009.

1. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

I am trying to figure out witch reel is best suited for GOM. (YFT, grouper, AJ's) I want something that I can jig and chunk with. I would like to get a 2 seed for versitility. The Hoo-X is what I wanted to buy. But, after reeding Alan Tani's thoughts on the bearings binding at higher drag I am not sure.

The Pro ex 30/2 and ex4/02 look good but they might be to heavy. The Saltist looks good but it is only single speed. I can't justify the expense of an Accurate. What are some thoughts on weight and ratios for a jigging/chunking reel 65-80 braid @ 20-25lbs drag.

I arleady have a Saragosa 18000 and a Penn 114h. I hought of using Penn for chunking and Hoo-x for jigging.

Thanks for the imput

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

you want a low gear ratio for jigging. If this is your go-to "one and only" reel for jigging and chunking, and you want 2-sp, you really should pony up the money for an Accurate. They are hard to beat for all those things, 665 2-sp is a badass reel for what you're describing.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Why do you need 2 speed?

d-a

4. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

you want a low gear ratio for jigging. If this is your go-to "one and only" reel for jigging and chunking, and you want 2-sp, you really should pony up the money for an Accurate. They are hard to beat for all those things, 665 2-sp is a badass reel for what you're describing.

The Accurate 665 is what I want. However, I go fising 1-2 times a year and I just can't justify an $800 rod/reel. I am not in a hurry so I will keep looking for a used one.

Thanks

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

d-a is right, you don't need 2 speed. it's nice to have but not necessary. you just want to stay with lower gearing for jigging.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The Accurate 665 is what I want. However, I go fising 1-2 times a year and I just can't justify an $800 rod/reel. I am not in a hurry so I will keep looking for a used one.

Thanks
    Then, go fishing more to justify. :)
    I agree you don't need two speed reels for any fish under 100 lbs. 4:1 - 4:9 gear ratio reel is a good compromise between cranking power and speed jigging.

7. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

Why do you need 2 speed?

d-a

I thought 2 speed would be more versitile for all types of fishing GOM. If I went single would you sugguest @ 4:1 or 6:1 ratios?

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Then, go fishing more to justify. :)

thats the best advice i've heard today :D

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

definitely 4:1 for jigging

10. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

That sounds like the best advice I have ever got. I just need to run that by the funds administrator.

11. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

I have been looking at 2 speeds. If I go single what would you recomend

12. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I would go with Alutechnos Gorilla 12, build like a tank JMO

13. papio

papio Senior Member

Saltiga 40 or the cheaper version Saltist 40 4.9 ratio.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I thought 2 speed would be more versitile for all types of fishing GOM. If I went single would you sugguest @ 4:1 or 6:1 ratios?

Since you seem to be on a budget, I would look at the 4.9:1 ratio saltist 40 as a minimum a 50 would be better. If you want to spend a little more a Trinidad 40 or saltiga 40/50 will work well and allow you years of trouble free use

d-a

15. jig

jig Senior Member

I went thru exact same issue as you, and same decision process. I am awfully thrifty. And I was 100% with the 'you don't need a 2spd' school of thought. I was fishing primarily newells on Ugly stiks, and never a single problem. Very light reels.

Then I fished a 2sp about 3 years ago. WOW. Now my two favorite reels are a Avet lx 6/3 and Accurate 665w. I still fish them on Ugly Stiks (I am NOT a tackle ho).

My point is that you sound like you know exactly what you want. I did too, and it made me sick to realize the money I had to spend to get it., but I got the Accurate 665W (for a good price) and it is by far my go to reel for most everything. It is ridiculously light for its capabilities, holds the right amount of line with 80#specta backing and 60# mono long topshot, has more drag than I need, and the quick flip lever adjustment makes it fish almost like a star drag (which I like for jigging).

16. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

Great information guys. Thanks for the quick responses.

17. jig

jig Senior Member

BTW, I considered the Avet HX and HXW. The first was too small line capacity for me, the second to wide to be comfortable, and neither had the drag capacity I wanted, nor the quick throw feature. Thats why I went with more expensive reel. I didnt need the accurate features for 40#, so I went with LX avet 2spd.