360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

What a goose!!!

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  DenisB 
#1 ·
Yes fellas, here is how it happened.

Yesterday the powerpoint in the bathroom stuffed up. A sparky mate of mine was kind enough to pop over and replace it. Since there was some gaps around the old base, I proceeded to fill it all nice and neat with some white gap filler.

Later in the evening I applied a decal to a rod I had just finished and started getting the shitts with the decal supplier for all the sticky gritty white stuff that was getting all over the decal area as I rubbed it on flat. STILL HADNT CLICKED!!......took some tissues and dusted off as much as I could. Put a beautiful level coat of epoxy on and left it at that. Then started mucking around with the other works in progress. All good so far

About an hour later I decided to check for any bubbles in the finish and shock and horror.....the whole damn thing was all splotched and mottled......and it STILL HADNT CLICKED....let it continue curing so I can apply a coat of cp over whatever the contamination issue was and apply another coat of epoxy

Started wrapping the next rod and noticed the same white residue getting on the threads.....had a closer look at my fingers and the bloody silicone filler I had used earlier was stuck in fine lines on the fingers!!!!!! :eek: :mad:

Needless to say I am absolutely filthy with myself and all the cleanup I had to do to ensure all traces were gone from anything would touch

Did anyone go one better.......I need a good laugh right about now

See less See more
#2 ·
Rohit
nowhere to go when you are the culprit yourself........you know where the buck stops.
all of us have stumbled into those lessons in life.............all you can do is put it behind you & learn from it.

been there done that............... other tasks inevitably intrude in the rodbuilding timeline..........thats a fact of life too.
two rules I have;-
Dont touch a rod to work on it without thorough handwash with solvol & then plain soap............this becomes rigorous & obsessive in direct proportion to the number of stuffups you encounter.........He he
No solution to silicon contamination
a) read the lables of what you are handling.
b) if silicon compounds involved ............no rodbuilding for at least 24 hrs. Abrasion is the best to remove silicon.
terrible compromise in desired activity............but go do some gardening..............it works.

If anyone knows of a guaranteed silicone solvent ............let us know about it.

#5 ·
Plenty of Fijian OP Bounty here....Lucky me, lots of relos in Fiji and with some family weddings coming up both here and in Fiji, the rum cabinet will be fully replenished soon :)

Trini is on top of my list for places to visit.

#6 ·
Have you ever had one of those external bag vacuum cleaners? Now, picture the bag blowing up in your shop...... Dust in/on EVERYTHING, for weeks... Live and learn... I second you on using rum for a cure...... it is easier than gardening; at least I think it is from what I can recall.....

#8 ·
Have you ever had one of those external bag vacuum cleaners? Now, picture the bag blowing up in your shop...... Dust in/on EVERYTHING, for weeks

Very unfortunate but that sounds like an accident. A very bad one indeed! but still not taking leave of your senses. You will have to try harder, the goose crown is still mine :p

I second you on using rum for a cure...... it is easier than gardening; at least I think it is from what I can recall.....

Indeed it is, thank god for the stuff, them sugarcane farmers are the real heros

#11 ·
Happy to report that the corrective measures turned out perfect. Now more rum to celebrate. 8am after staying up all night working isnt too late for another pack

I was looking at a pic I posted in another thread and spotted the demon. See that white tube with blue labels just behind the orange blank!!!! Hope you can see the extent of the metal spasm, bringing a tube of silicone into the workshop, I think the folks who say getting some sleep every now and then is a good thing might be onto something!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.