Weight and wiring construction

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by Kuromarco, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Kuromarco

Kuromarco New Member

Hello everyone..
    Im looking forward to get some advise on lure making

Which one is better wiring and weight construction of 2 sided laminated wood with weight inside,or solid wood with half cut from belly with weight drilled from belly ?

Thank you

2. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

technically they are almost equal..........solid with cut belly & drilled belly weight is much easier.
    2-piece bodies do reduce the buoyancy a little from the top of the lure & reduce the maximum 'righting moments' achievable for the same lure compared to solid body approach...........but its only a little.
    Its also far,far easier to develop prototypes with a solid body tuning action by redrilling & repositioning the ballast in the belly ( refilling old holes with lightweight automotive bog).
    Dont forget ............when developing prototypes you don't need full thru-wiring, twisted & epoxied DIY wire eyelets work fine until you have the body shape & action you are looking for , then make your "fishing" lures with wireforms as strong as you need.

Have at it

Kim likes this.

3. Kuromarco

Kuromarco New Member

Thank you DB..

And one more question, if i think to sell my lures later, does the construction will affect the price ?
    Will the 2-piece body, looks more pricey ?

4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

short answer is NO
    price depends on finished looks
    good action
    reliability
    reputation.

5. Kuromarco

Kuromarco New Member

Thank you.. all is clear now..

6. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Don't forget, it's got to catch fish. I have lures that the only thing they have caught is me.

Kuromarco likes this.
  7. Kuromarco

Kuromarco New Member

Haha.. okay Kim..