weekend report

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, after taking my daughter to the cowboys game then to Boo at the Zoo on sunday.. I headed to deer camp to see if this cold front would have the deer stirring.. I sat in the stand for about 8hrs on monday and saw nothing but 1-2yr old spikes sparring around.. The wind from the front had dropped what little acorn crop we had, so the deer werent interested in what was coming from the feeder.. We had all three pig traps set and nada..
    Tues morn.. I get up and it was cooooold.. Ice on the 4wheeler seat.. I headed out to the stand and saw some pigs outside trap 1.. I dropped into 4th gear and ran over one of them.. Then the rodeo started.. It was pretty fun.. I ran them off then headed to trap two.. and there were more there..
    So I ran off the rest.. (in hindsight, I should have gone back and got my trusty .44 carbine and layed some down..but this method was kind of therapeutic..) I head back to camp and get bob.. We grab the guns and hop in the truck.. Sure enough there was a decent boar hanging out by the trap.. Bob Dispatched him with a 22mag to the earhole.. Ended up with 4 pigs in the three traps.. We loaded the boars on the trailer to take to market. and I made short work of the 100lb sow and 30lb sow in trap one had them Iced down and back to dfw by noon..
    I will be making some breakfast sausage today... sorry no pics.. forgot the camera..

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

".. I dropped into 4th gear and ran over one of them.."

AWESOME!

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Yeah, it was an amusing way to start the day...to say the least..

4. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

what do you charge for a 25lb ? I'd buy one from you

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

what do you charge for a 25lb ? I'd buy one from you

San, I will give you one.. I have one on ice right now.. whole.. if you want it.. I just made some pan sausage from one ham on the big sow and it made just shy of 10lbs.. pretty tasty.. I think a put a one pinch too many of ground cloves.. But not bad..

give me a call..

Bret

6. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

San, I will give you one.. I have one on ice right now.. whole.. if you want it.. I just made some pan sausage from one ham on the big sow and it made just shy of 10lbs.. pretty tasty.. I think a put a one pinch too many of ground cloves.. But not bad..

give me a call..

Bret

Bret,

I'll take it, thank you , sir! Will give you a call later this evening to
    arrange for pickup location (Saltwater Willy's ?) ( I am in a meeting right
    now )

Thanks Again!

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Sounds good San,

Talk to you this evening..

8. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Nice report! I've been having the bucks (mostly young ones) and pigs show up in the daylight more this past week. Haven't been there hunting but they were on the cameras.

Kyle would have taken another forkhorn opening morning of youth weekend last weekend as the forkhorn was there, but unfortunately my son broke his foot playign soccer last week so we weren't. I'll have him out there in a couple of weeks after he gets off the crutches.

Good luck to all this weekend! I won't be at my place in Young County but will be trying for a hill country buck near Bandera. Hope to have some pics to show on Sunday.

Earl

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

AWESOME!
    This is the most fun way for me to exterminate pigs.
    I had an old 1995 2 door tahoe. I took off the independent suspension in the front and put leaf spring and a solid dana 60 axle. It was lift 16" over stock before the 38.5" x 15" tires were installed. It was big. I could chase down those pigs and the front axle would knock them over. More fun that waiting for them to show up.
    As Bret said therapudic....

10. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Sounds like fun Bret.

11. wishn4fishn

wishn4fishn Member

I shot 7 point on oct. 25 not too bad for SE Oklahoma. 21.5 inside spread wide and tall. Try to my kids to add pics. I am commputtr ellitteratte. Good luck hunting to all.