Warning: Shimano Spinning Spools Cut Spectra

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Apr 2, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

There are grooves at the bottom of Shimano spinning reel spools that will cut Spectra braided fishing line. (See attached photos.)

Background
    A while ago, I tried connecting some hollow core Spectra line to a Stella spool and had bad results. (Connecting to Spool) At the time, I believed the fracture of the Spectra was due to stretching around a tight radius spool with thick mono inside.

This morning, I was taking a photo series of Spectra attachment to a different Shimano spool. When I began to load the 80# line (actual break above 105 lbs.) with 75 pounds of tension, the line fractured (ripped) as shown in the photo series below. The line broke right where it contacted the groove in the spool.

I often test line and knots and pull on Spectra with a tool of the same radius as the spool; it never rips, breaks or fractures. I have also performed this test with a Penn spool, no grooves, no problem.

Cause
    There are very sharp (90 degrees) grooves machined into the bottom of Stella, Saragosa and Stradic (not sure about others models) spinning reel spools. My believe is they are there to give added traction to mono connections but I haven't contacted Shimano. (I've added a couple extra photos of Stella and Saragosa in addition to the Stradic sequence.)

Fix
    The Spectra line has to be isolated from the machined grooves. A layer or two of tape may do the job but I can't say for sure whether the grooves can cut through the tape. A couple layers of thin mono may also do the job. Perhaps the grooves can be filled with epoxy.

Side Note
    My original purpose was to demonstate that Spectra won't slip on the spool. That test was a complete success. No tape or other measures are needed. But those sharp grooves are killers!

Attached Files:

2. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

why would you load your reel with 75lbs of tension?
    even if you could load more line in with the added tension you are never going to reel it back on the spool that hard with the reel's drag.

3. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

even if you could load more line in with the added tension you are never going to reel it back on the spool that hard with the reel's drag.

i must agree. the max drags of a saragosa or stella 20000 are at 44 and 55 lbs. 75lbs of tension is something that the reel wont see so i dont see how thats a problem. good to know that the line wont slip but my .02 is that this test was a little over done.

4. pametfisher

i must agree. the max drags of a saragosa or stella 20000 are at 44 and 55 lbs. 75lbs of tension is something that the reel wont see so i dont see how thats a problem. good to know that the line wont slip but my .02 is that this test was a little over done.

Good questions, glad you asked.

If you set the drag of a reel at 25 lbs. (full spool) whose diameter is about 2 3/4 inches, the drag-torque is 35 inch-pounds. If you then measure the tension at the bottom of the spool which is only an inch in diameter it is about 70 pounds.

That 70 pounds becomes the tension that your connection to the spool has to resist. Friction of the line against a full spool reduces that a lot, but what happens if a 200 pound fish pulls off half your line?

How lucky do you feel? ;)

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

How lucky do you feel? ;)

I feel lucky enough that if I see my spool knot then Im not going to see my fish:eek:

d-a

6. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I feel lucky enough that if I see my spool knot then Im not going to see my fish:eek:

d-a

LOL, no kidding

7. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Once they got that much good luck.

Never had any kind of spool attaching problems, with shimano or any brand in my 30 years of fishing.

Guess I need to fiddle with my gear more.

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I saw the line down to the last three wraps around the spool(9/0 Penn) on a mako, then the captian got the anchor up and started backing down.
    Did land the fish.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

why wouldnt you back the drag off if the fish was peeling that much line off?

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have seen the gold arbor of a 50 wide several times. Sometimes I got the, sometimes I didn't.

Pamet, you do some great threads.

11. pametfisher

The problem I see is not when all the line is gone. It is somewhere in between.

Let's say that you had set the drag at 25 lbs. Then hooked a fish. The fish ran off half your line. Your drag has now increased (drag torque has stayed constant) the pressure on the bottom of the spool has stayed constant (at 70ish) but the friction at the bottom of the spool is less and the line at the bottom is being tensioned more.

I didn't go looking for this problem, just thought I'd tie the knot, ship them to BHP, so I did a quick test pull.

Murphy's Law strikes when you least expect it. The guys who hooked 200 lb. BFT in NC last week got a bit of that. I've learned the hard way that Mr. Murphy is not a friend.

12. pametfisher

why wouldnt you back the drag off if the fish was peeling that much line off?

I saw the line down to the last three wraps around the spool(9/0 Penn) on a mako, then the captian got the anchor up and started backing down.
    Did land the fish.

You can back off the drag but I'm setting up so that my line, leader, etc. can cope with the higher drags if a large BFT get me to the bottom half of the spool. If the first half didn't slow it down, I want the extra pressure in the later innings.

Since I usually fish from my own (small) boat, if I see the second half of the spool, the motor will be running. I just like to have a lot of options, single-handed.