want to get into spearfishing

Discussion in 'Spearfishing' started by duntonsdragons, Jan 7, 2016.

1. duntonsdragons

duntonsdragons Member

I went snorkeling in the Keys last year and couldn't help but wish that I had a speargun. So I need to get one.
    I know absolutely nothing about spearfishing. Looking at gear, I'm confused as to which length I should get, which type of gun I should get, etc. I'm looking for a decent setup. Something that isn't super expensive, but also isn't a complete piece of crap.
    Where do I start?
    Mike

2. Crow

Crow Member

Where do you live, and where do you want to spear?

3. duntonsdragons

duntonsdragons Member

I will mostly use this in areas like the Florida Keys on vacation, but may try locally (Cape Cod) for tautog if I can stand the cold water. Target species would probably be small fish like snapper or hogfish. I've read good things about mako spearguns, but need help with picking which size/style gun to get.

4. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

We used a pole spear in the keys last year for snapper and grouper. That worked just fine.

5. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

Look at a gun around 50-55 inches. Two band will be just fine. Mako makes good stuff I hear. I've got a mako dive knife and it's a copy of scuba pro but half the cost.

You can get a closed track or hybrid. I like the hybrids personally.

Riffe makes a good gun too.

If you want to go custom then hit up Daryl Wong.

victor likes this.
  6. victor

victor Well-Known Member

I spear fish alot in South Florid . My recommendation is figure out if like mid handle or euro gun. From there ab biller good wood beginner riffe a step up then wong I personally have riffe and wong