360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those of you who have a Wahoo, or a Wahoo Jr blank in their Spinning/Popping rod .....What size jig works best for loading up a Wahoo 8 ft rod ? ....What size works best for loading a Wahoo Jr ? .....I'm thinking that since the action is Mod/Fast on these blanks that they should load lighter jigs/plugs fairly easily ....Then again, I may be wrong .....Thanks,Jim

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
this was for the origional wahoo/ wahoo jr.
not the composite version.

for actually "loading" the rod about a 400g.
we used these rods for BIG tuna and cod jigging with 12-16oz jigs..

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,
Thanks for your answer .....What would you guess would be the weight of the jigs used to load the composite blank properly ? ....Also , wounldn't the Jr load differently than the Wahoo ? ......Thanks, Jim

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
it looks like the new ratings are lower for the JR.
the original JR had the same action/power as the Wahoo.
so they were pretty close
the composite are different blanks.

to actually "load" you still need the bigger jigs.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
The lure gms rating for the Wahoo Jr composite is 300-500 ( gms )

Now the new Wahoo Jr I'm designing with UC is a 7'6" blank..I want to keep the new longer blank with the same rating...Untill its built I wont know but after talking to the designer of the 7'Wahoo Jr I dont think it will...

The action of the Composite & the Graphite blanks are different the graphite blank has a harder tip..I have built both & fished the composite...The Wahoo Jr composite is one of the best blanks I ever fished.. I wil also have them as a 6' blank for tuna jigging........

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The composite looks the way to go ....It's a better popping blank as far as the action goes so it seems , plus it's more durable, which not being a seasoned veteran will be a better rod for me ...Costing less $$$ doesn't hurt either ...I really look forward to hearing about that 7 1/2 ft composite blank ...Jim

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
the composite action on the original seemed close the GF calstar 700.
i have not seen the new version.
maybe they are different.
i have to check them out.

but the guys seem to be having very good success with the GF700..in capecod.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
The action on the Calstar GF700 & the UC Wahoo Jr are not even close..

Apples & Oranges...The Calstar is much faster & has that Calstar tip flop..The Wahoo Jr composite has a mod/fast action & no tip flop....

If you want to compare apples to apples the UC-CA & the Calstar GF have close action...The biggest difference is the UC doesent have tip flop..Most of the Calstar's I build are trimmed to take some of the tip flop out..I find that hook up rate goes up when I trim them........

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
The action on the Calstar GF700 & the UC Wahoo Jr are not even close..

Apples & Oranges...The Calstar is much faster & has that Calstar tip flop..The Wahoo Jr composite has a mod/fast action & no tip flop....

If you want to compare apples to apples the UC-CA & the Calstar GF have close action...The biggest difference is the UC doesent have tip flop..Most of the Calstar's I build are trimmed to take some of the tip flop out..I find that hook up rate goes up when I trim them........
so the UC-CA & calstar GF have close action?
that would be apple to apple?

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
so the UC-CA & calstar GF have close action?
that would be apple to apple?

If you dont think the UC CA blanks & the Calstar Gf blanks actions are similar..
What do you think the UC CA blanks compare to...
How do you like them ..How did you find the quality?? Action / line rating & what blanks did you fish??...... Did you like how they load on big fish?? handle fishing sinkers ...

I'm testing some of the new UC Jiggings blanks & the old Jiggings blanks to the Black devil 200 & I should have a 100 this week..I found the tip action to be similar..The new ones I'm having built by UC I wont know untill I have them..I'm also building two more 7' blanks one lure 150-300g & one lure 75-225g..

I'm Looking to build a two piece 8' popping blank ..A 8' cod stick & some thin stand-up rods that will fit a #1 unibutt..And you can fish with a Accurate 665 or BA 30 size reel for white marlin & slammer mahi mahi...

·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
peterk814,
Thanks for that info ...I'm really more concerned with the lighter jigs and poppers that I already have ...They are between 3/4 oz to about 4 oz's ...I'm wondering how they would thow ? ....Thanks, Jim

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
If you dont think the UC CA blanks & the Calstar Gf blanks actions are similar..
What do you think the UC CA blanks compare to...

sorry..

i was just reafirming your compare of the UC CA to the GF.
you said they were similar.
i just wanted to be sure that was right...

i need to feel the new blanks.
all i have are the wahoo and wahoo JR in the original form..NOT composite.

i guess i have to keep trying the new company for info.
when did you get your first order of the new blanks?

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
sorry..

i was just reafirming your compare of the UC CA to the GF.
you said they were similar.
i just wanted to be sure that was right...

i need to feel the new blanks.
all i have are the wahoo and wahoo JR in the original form..NOT composite.

i guess i have to keep trying the new company for info.
when did you get your first order of the new blanks?

I talking with Peter via email & John Baker who is running the US factory..

There all the same blanks plus some new ones from Austillia..Its a great line of blanks..And I'm having some built just for the eastcoast..

tHE problem is most of should I say all of there blank are going to Austrilia right now..I have 15 blanks & 25 on order..Hope to have them in a few weeks..
What ther future plans are for the US market I dont know..But I do know they are not going to mass market them as of now..So for now I'll take what I can get...

Quality first order was very good..I only bought the composite CE & CA blanks..The CE are the Duel Helix blanks with a mod/fast action I like them alot.... The CA are Non Helix & have a fast action Calstar like..But no tip flop I like them better than calstars ...I started fishing them two springs ago ..Put all my calstar away...

They have a website..united composite usa........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts