Wackin em on the Wildside july 16

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by jaredchasteen, Jul 16, 2009.

1. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Sorry for the late report but i wanted to let poco get started. I got the call from wacker last thursday evening about killin some tuna and doing some marlin fishing. The plan was to head to hoover on the wildside a tournament rigged worldcat 33. This boat is as sweet as it gets for a center console. The crew consisted of me, wacker, Daniel, Anthony, and jeremy. We load up and depart freeport with high hopes after the reports of recent billfish sucsess off of south texas.
    We stop to make some live bait at a rig about 12 miles out kin 66 ft of water and proceed to put 40 of the prettiest tuna crack baits out there. Well the wildside has two 55 gallon livewells, and with no hardtails we head deeper to a rig about 30 miles out. When we get there we see at least 4 boats including a flat bottom rig. Wacker gets on the sabiki and puts a hurtin on the 8 inch hardtails, then yells ling...big ****ing ling. I quickly grab a rod rigged with a hook and pin a livie on. It gets railed by the small one. I keep him in the water and daniel pins on another livie this time the big boy is on. Quick fight and we have a 60 pounder in the boat. Great team work there. All the "weekend warriors" look at us like we stole thier fish.

[​IMG]

after some high fives and two full baitwells the trip begins to look very promising. We arrive at hoover around 5 and put out two hardtails and commence trolling.
    [​IMG]

First knockdown Cuda....damn cuda . Next pass another cuda. The third time was the charm as i hook up to about a 40# bull dorado for a great aerial display. There is some film on this i will get once it is edited.

[​IMG]

Next bait out...i hookup up on a solid 25 pound cow. Now its jeremy's turn and he boats another bull. The sun is starting to set and we decide to soak some livies for tuna. Sure enough at dusk our first yft hits the deck and we are starting to get a good fish box going.

[​IMG]

Well we plug at them all night and manage to put 3 more in the boat two on livies and one on chunk. I did hook a large yellowfin that almost spooled the cabo 60. I locked the drag down and finally stopped him but forgot to loosen itr back up and during the fight i pulled the popper out of his mouth. I throw the OTI komodo all night and killed the bft and missed a few more good ones. The lure landed at least 20 fish.

When the sun comes up we start to soak some more livies and i give my rod to jeremy and find the head. When i return i find jeremy and wacker doubled up on yft. I gaff both and get another bait out....wacker pins another on his 40# and gets nailed in 10 seconds. Note to self 40# is killer on the yft. After about am hour and 5 fish we go to make some bait for marlin fishing. While we are making bait daniel screams marlin from the tower huge ****ing marlin....well we didnt have a pitch bait. Fish gone. we quickly catch a bait and bridle him up...not 3 minutes later the 50 starts to spin i dump it in freespool and let him eat.....throw the drag to strike and crank...no fishy. My first marlin and my first miss, something tells me that wont be the last. Our crew qyuickly tries to catch another bait and we finally do and get it out. This bait soaked for an hour and was dead. Wacker throws the boat in nuetral as i try and convice daniel "we missed our shot, there is no more marlin here. We need to head in" 3 seconds after i say that needlefish erupt 10 feet of starboard and a 175 pound lit up blue swims up to the boat. I quickly reel the dead bait up only to get rejected. That is the first marlin i have seen swimming and lit up. It is truly the most spectacular thing i have ever seen in the ocean.
    With no more baits and growing frustrations we go to pulling plastics. After an hour of that we get nailed by another dorado and and all out frenzy ensues. After we clean the deck we decide to head for the house. Once we were on the shelf we ddecide to put some snapper in the boat and after an hour or so scrating our limit is on board with the biggest going 15 or so pounds.

We made it back to the dock and fueled up at 9pm, with 9YFT, 6Mahi 20-40#s, limit of snapper, 50-60 pound ling, and dozen 15-20# blackfins.
    This picture doesnt do it justice as we had about two more carts.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to daniel for the ride and Wacker for the good word.

2. Rooney

Rooney Member

Nice variety of fish. Good to see that Mr. blue paid you a visit. I fumbled my chance of catching one last month. He will be back and you will meet again. Nice job.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Sounds like a great trip! Sorry about the ones that got away, but that is one reason we go back.

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

that cobia is a a stud. great report. thanks

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i am jealous! i want to play! LOL!! Good job!

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

great Report Jared.... you got yourself a taste of marlin madness.. its almost as addicting as tuna.. but not quite the same.. I hope the crew kicks some butt in the poco..

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Jared,

Now you know why some of us are marlin hunters. I've been addicted since high school and still have the fever.:D Don't get me wrong, tuna fishing is also addicting, but the thrill of seeing a huge very fast lit up marlin in the spread will make your heart beat more than the hottest woman on earth. :)
    If you think buying poppers and tuna gear is expensive, it's nothing compared to what you can drop on trolling lures, tackle and accessory chasing marlin.:eek:

Tuna are good fighters, but a marlin will strip off line like rocket. You can burn your wrist on the reel after the first run on a nice blue marlin. You can also get spooled under a minute.:mad: Marlin fishing can get very boring, but the reward is worth the time and money spent hunting that awesome creature.

Is wacker on that 33 WC for Poco? I heard that the 90 boats collected almost 900K at the Calcutta. Next time you see Wacker, tell him his Scotch drinking friend from Panama is still alive and still fishing.:) Also, tell wacker that I got my signed copy of the French Magazine along with a signed CD of pictures (personal use only) from Alban. He probably also got the same stuff. I might fish the Rockport Offshore Challenge next weekend. It gets bigger and bigger every year.

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Good report and glad you did well.

9. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Jared,

Now you know why some of us are marlin hunters. I've been addicted since high school and still have the fever.:D Don't get me wrong, tuna fishing is also addicting, but the thrill of seeing a huge very fast lit up marlin in the spread will make your heart beat more than the hottest woman on earth. :)
    If you think buying poppers and tuna gear is expensive, it's nothing compared to what you can drop on trolling lures, tackle and accessory chasing marlin.:eek:

Tuna are good fighters, but a marlin will strip off line like rocket. You can burn your wrist on the reel after the first run on a nice blue marlin. You can also get spooled under a minute.:mad: Marlin fishing can get very boring, but the reward is worth the time and money spent hunting that awesome creature.

Is wacker on that 33 WC for Poco? I heard that the 90 boats collected almost 900K at the Calcutta. Next time you see Wacker, tell him his Scotch drinking friend from Panama is still alive and still fishing.:) Also, tell wacker that I got my signed copy of the French Magazine along with a signed CD of pictures (personal use only) from Alban. He probably also got the same stuff. I might fish the Rockport Offshore Challenge next weekend. It gets bigger and bigger every year.

Yea wacker is on the worldcat, i hope they get a big one with the calcutta being 855k. They own the worldcat in the calcutta so hopefully they get another shot at that 600 pounder we saw.

I understand why people get adicted to marlin fishing, the sight of the lit up blue will not leave my head. I even had a dream about feeding a pitch bait to one.:eek: I have seen one marlin in my life and i have seen a million beautiful women, after all we are from texas. They grow on the trees down here.:D

Thanks for the kind words guys, a great trip for sure.