VJ rod "progressive" blank

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by ambermax, Apr 6, 2008.

1. ambermax

ambermax Member

Hi guys, I'm an Italian VJigger, looking for some VJ rod "progressive" blank...

I like progressive action that consist in moderate and flexible tip and a reserve of power of handle...

excuse my very bad english...

like tuna max parabolique or lamiglas TP action...

I look in seeker and other manifacture catalogue but it is very hard to evaluate a rod without touching it...

I'm looking for a rod that can move 150-350 g jig and that support a 6-8 kg (15-20lb) of drag

I use to built rods very short, from 4'9 to 5'1"

thanks

massimo

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

You answered your question. Have anglers pro shop build you a custom tuna max parabolique.

3. ambermax

ambermax Member

You answered your question. Have anglers pro shop build you a custom tuna max parabolique.

I built custom rod mayself; Angler's pro shop don't sell blanks...:(

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Seeker is not a good choice for Japanese style jigging rod as they are strong ,but they are usually heavy.
    Check Graphite USA or St Croix blanks.
    And check GUSA Challlenger blanks. There are some 6' jigging blanks, but they are sold exclusively by North East Rod Builders - Billy Vivona .
    I checked one of the blanks and they are light and strong, and have pretty soft tip section compared with normal GUSA blanks.
    I have a few custom jigging/popping rod out of OTI's blanks and I am pretty satisfied with their performance.
    You also can buy Jigging Master blanks overseas.

5. ambermax

ambermax Member

Seeker is not a good choice for Japanese style jigging rod as they are strong ,but they are usually heavy.
    And check GUSA Challlenger blanks. There are some 6' jigging blanks, but they are sold exclusively by North East Rod Builders - Billy Vivona .
    I checked one of the blanks and they are light and strong, and have pretty soft tip section compared with normal GUSA blanks.
    I have a few custom jigging/popping rod out of OTI's blanks and I am pretty satisfied with their performance.

thanks Ksong... very good and interesting link...

any others?

6. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

http://northeastrodbuilders.com/blankflex.html

These are pictures of he URJ 601 and URJ 602 with 5-15#'s hangning off the line. I am waiting for a new shipment of URJ 500's & URJ 603's so I can perform the same bend test and post the pictures. Once I recieve the URJ 500's, I will be able to give you more information on that blank. I suspect that it is a 5' version of the 603, that is wha tI've been told from teh person who designed the blank, but I will wait to pull on teh blank and post pctures of the 2 side by side so you can come to your own conclusion if it works for you.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Billy

Does GUSA make a progressive blank for jigging up to 300g?

d-a

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Billy, how did you find this site ? :)
    When I used GUSA Wahoo several years ago, I was thinking seriously, to cut 3' from the butt section to make 5' Japanese styel jigging rod like 500g Jigging Master rod as the Wahoo rod is light, thin, but strong enough.
    I think GUSA is one of rod munufacturers in the US which can make good Japanese style high quality jigging blanks.

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Billy, how did you find this site ? :)
    When I used GUSA Wahoo several years ago, I was thinking seriously, to cut 3' from the butt section to make 5' Japanese styel jigging rod like 500g Jigging Master rod as the Wahoo rod is light, thin, but strong enough.
    I think GUSA is one of rod munufacturers in the US which can make good Japanese style high quality jigging blanks.
    kil have you thought about trying to cut the dragon blank?
    i have that built at full size, but it seems like it would come somewhere between the 600 OTI and the JM 500

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the Jigging master 350 would be a good choice
    i hope to see these GUSA some time..

11. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Welcome aboard Billy........
    Remember me, we meet at the NC Custom Rod Builder Show last February ?
    We're talking about japanese jigging rod and I tell you to visit this forum.

Freddy.

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Welcome aboard Billy!

Scott L

13. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

I've known about the site, but I never posted (or checked it that much). As you know, I really don't know Offshore fishing the way I know Inshore fishing, so my knowledge is limited in this area. I do know what experianced fishermen tell me, and can use that to get blanks designed specifically for them, from GUSA. I met Ichiban in HP, he spent a great deal of time at teh booth playing with the URJ 603 and giving me a lot of feedback on it, which I really appreciated. I attached a photo of the Sturgeon I caught just for him & his friend (I think his name was Ed?)!! (while I did jig this fish, it was belly snagged). Eddie Aquarium is helping me hold the fish up.

I look foward with finding you guys the right blanks for the type of fishing you do. There is a deep market for jigging as you guys know, but it seems like there are several "holes" which can be filled. hopefully I will be able to provide GUSA with that info and come out with a line of blanks which allow you guys to beat on the fish with itsy bitsy rods.

Attached Files:

14. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Hey Billy
    That's my uncle Ed in the picture over your shoulder that man is a jigging fool and has been doing it for a long time.You will have a hard time introducing the short spin jig rod style to those guys up in brooklyn they love their long jig sticks
    If you can get your hands on a 5' to 5'6''very light,very strong, high quality blank with the right action for this style of jigging at a good price range I think you will do well with them.Did GUSA make good on the blanks you showed us in NC.
    Post some pictures of the rods you build your work is first class.
    CTS makes a very nice jigging blank I saw one a the NC show and was very impressed they are made in NZ and are available in the states.

15. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

CJ - How's it going, I knew you posted here, no clue on the name though. That was te picture I was trying to get for you at the show, I don't know if I should be proud or embarassed? lol. The blank you pulled on in NC, was the URJ 603 - it is also the one which Kil pulled on and posted about earlier in this thread. I'm not going to make believe I can give anyone an answer whether that is the right action or teh right power - all I can do at this point is tell you I have ordered that same power in 5' and am getting it shipped to me tomorrow. Hopefully I will meet up with Kil at some point and get his opinions and go from there.

The gentleman who started this post has asked me about this 5' blank, but I cannot provide an answer to him until I've seen the blank for myself and can compare it to the one sI have. The guy who asked about a 300-gram blank, I think the 603 is going to be teh blank which you are looking for which will suit your tastes for that weight jig. Once I can get teh ratings & power straightened out, I will be updating my site, along with the other blanks which are desinged for jigging.

16. ambermax

ambermax Member