vintage rod question

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by stonefly, Apr 6, 2007.

1. stonefly

stonefly Guest

i bought a rod off ebay purported to be a sabre # 670h.circa 1962. when it came in there was no identification on the rod. no matter it was just what i want (a rod for spectra to fish grouper in the sea of cortez). i located a roll of cork tape to redo the grip and when i stripped the old off tape i found manufacturers info on the butt. what is this?
    "beef-stick", "nep-tuna" & below that but upsidedown to this print is the number 528.

2. BigMike

BigMike Guest

I have never heard of Nep-Tuna.
    I have a couple Sabre 670's from the 70's I think.
    Did you contact the seller?

3. stonefly

stonefly Guest

mike, no i didn't contact the seller. i"m happy with the rod, i bought it for grouper more than as a collectable but would like to know how to mark it if i rewrap.

4. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey stonefly!

You should try the guy that posted on the link below. He mentions "Sila-Flex" Nep-Tune rod.

Good luck!

BD Thread

5. stonefly

stonefly Guest

update,
    neptuna built some very high end rods back in the day, one distinctive model had a cradle like reel seat that incorporated penn sideplates with the rod ferrelled out fore & aft. saw a picture in gene kiras book " the unforgettable sea of cortez". neptuna was bought out as i understand it by lamiglass that continued with the mod.# 528 in their product. the finish on this rod is "lemon peel" like yellow.