Victoria, BC fishing?

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Surfacegrinder, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

I am going to visit my daughter and her husband in Victoria the last of May. Wondering what fish would be biteing and what to use if I get a chance to fish. Has anyone been there and done that, and would help out a clueless angler? My son-in-law loves to fish, but has only gone fishing there a couple of times. He doesn't have that much tackle, so if I need to take anything with me would like tips on that as well. Thinking of hireing a guide just to take the two of us, or if they have a head boat type of thing I wouldn't be against that idea. So any help on this would be very much appreciated.:D

If any of the jigging guys know if jigging has caught on up there, that info would be outstanding.:D :D :D

2. Cliffshot

Cliffshot Junior member

Hey Bro,

I fished with a guy named John Kirkendale (Great White Charters) back in 2007 in mid July. He lives in Victoria. Firefighter by day (days off charters a very nice Grady White 30 as I remember).

I chartered by myself (price was more than fair) and it was he and I and one of his firefighter buddies. His buddy's dad and brother buddy boated with us as well.

I caught my limit of halibut (plus 2 of theirs) in less than an hour. Nice nice eaters (25--40#'s each). Then we headed in closer to shore and fished for Coho Salmon for the rest of the day. Couldn't tell you how many I caught---could only keep two. The other boat caught one nice King Salmon about 30 lbs. or so as well as their limits of Halibut and Coho.

John is a good guy and knows where and how to fish---hard worker and easy to get along with.

Here is his email: [email protected]

Tell him the Little Texans he thought was telling lies until we started fishing---he will remember me.

Hope you get to fish with him because I don't think you will find a better deal or captain. I looked pretty hard before I decided --- not to mention alot of prayer ahead of time.

Cliff holubec Austin, TX

3. Cliffshot

Cliffshot Junior member

Here is a phone # for John K. In Victoria: 1-250-818-6050

4. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

Thanks I'll give him a call. I looked on line all day trying to figure out who would be a good one to give a try. I hope to catch a halibut or two myself. If it works out that I get to fish I'll send a post with pics. Still have to work out time to go with the fam. My wife and daughter have tried to fill my days up there with stuff that has nothing with the word fish in it. Hope to upset that apple cart if you know what I mean. Once again thank you very much.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you have time, you might drive up to Painter's Lodge in Cambell River.
    Painter's lodge is very nice and it has long tradition. Cambell River itself is very famous for salmon fishing, but I think May is a little early.

British Columbia Salmon Fishing Lodge - Painter's Lodge Campbell River

If you are bottomfishing enthusiast, check Oak Bay Marine in Uclueket on the westside of Vancouver Island.

British Columbia Fishing Lodge : Vancouver Island : Canadian Princess

I fished a lodge off Port Hary at the northern tip of Vancouver Isalnd with my wife and daughter in summer about 20 years ago and we had a great time with excellent salmon fishing.

The most predominent method to catch salmon there is to troll with cut-plug herring. But I highly suggest to jig them. Salmon jigging is surprisingly effective.

6. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

I'll be staying in Brentwood Bay Area just above Victoria. But that jigging thing sounds great. Do you know if they use the sameones we do or is it different altogether? If so I wonder if a my jig pole is considered carryon. :D

If I don't get to go fishing this time I will come back next year for some serious fishing time with both my son inlaw and my son. My son lives in Cranbrook, BC. But I am holding out for at least half day trip this time.

Thanks guys I sure do appreciate this alot.

7. Cliffshot

Cliffshot Junior member

When I fished with Captain Kirkendale we used a very large weight (about 4 lbs.) on a rig that had a short arm coming off it with a large spoon. Kept jigging that on the bottom and halibut all over it. NO BAIT NEEDED!

When I fished with him we actually fished out of Port Renfro (about 2 1/2 hours north of Victoria. But He live in Victoria and knows those waters well too. Just depends on where the fish are at, but captian John will know.

I will pray for some fishing time for you bro.

cliff

8. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

Thanks I'll take all the help I can get. Over heard my wife and daughter talking on skype and heard some noice about some garden taking two days to look at. I started praying at that point for a sharpe knife. :eek: Hope to only do one day of that and then get to do alittle fishing.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

10. Surfacegrinder

Surfacegrinder Guest

Don't worry they won't let me miss that. She has already told me I was going even if she had to drag my cold lifeless corpse around to do so. :D

11. Pope

Pope Senior Member

He is right. The garden is well worth the visit.