Very strange(Saragosa drag)

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Gozz, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

How's it going guys.
    I just installed some new carbonex washers with cal's grease in my 18000 saragosa,I then spooled the reel with 80pnd frog braid.
    BTW the saragosa's have a shocking line lay.

All that aside I went outside to have a play with it when all was finished.
    I gave the drag a good few runs while the rod was in the rod holder.
    I thought I'd get some scales onto the line to see how much the drag was pulling when to my surprise I could only manage 12kg max.
    I'm like "what the"It should be at lease 20kg, time after time I got 12kg.
    I grab another set of scales and they got to 14kg which is better but way of the mark.

Am I the only one.
    I fitted the drag correctly and used cals grease.
    Can you use to much grease.
    The drag does run very smooth though.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Gozz

Your supposed to grease the washers liberaly and then wipe the excess off. You may have one of the steel washers in backwards.

d-a

3. tmd

tmd Large Member

BTW the saragosa's have a shocking line lay.

is it that bad? how exactly?

4. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

is it that bad? how exactly?

Compared to all my other reels it's very uneven.
    It almost goes on in waves around the spool.

No big deal just wanted to see if other people's reels did the same.

When jigging do you think 14kg drag is enough.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Compared to all my other reels it's very uneven.
    It almost goes on in waves around the spool.

No big deal just wanted to see if other people's reels did the same.

When jigging do you think 14kg drag is enough.

14 kg should do you fine in all but the most extreme situations.

d-a

6. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thanks d-a that's good to hear.
    We've had some good tuna come through here in Australia,one was caught last week weighing 112kg on a TLD50.

Even though I'd be very luck to hook a fish that big I have a good chance of a 40 to 60kg fish so my gear needs to be 100% spot on.

Think I might take the washers out and wipe the excess grease of and see how that goes.

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

G'day mate, how is it down under? You should get a little better drag with the excess grease wiped off.

8. jig

jig Senior Member

14kg is a lot of drag on a spinner (around 30lbs). I think I got right at 30lbs on my Spheros 14000 with the greased carbontex drags, so that sounds about right. Any more than that is to much for me to handle without a harness or using the rail, both difficult with a jigging spinner.

Does anyone actually get, much less fish, the spec 44lbs drag on these reels?

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

tooooo much grease. coat the drag washer, then wipe it all off.. it leaves a VERY FINE coating.. thats all you need. dont coat the metal washers.

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

14kg is a lot of drag on a spinner (around 30lbs). I think I got right at 30lbs on my Spheros 14000 with the greased carbontex drags, so that sounds about right. Any more than that is to much for me to handle without a harness or using the rail, both difficult with a jigging spinner.

Does anyone actually get, much less fish, the spec 44lbs drag on these reels?
    When I first got the saragosa it would put out between 40-44lbs... It was not smooth. With the carbontex I can get 30-35 with it still being smooth.
    I think the 44lbs is a little over zealous.

I won't ever push the reel past the 30lb mark on a fish because of rod limitations and that I am a lightwieght and might go over board:eek:

11. gmack

gmack Senior Member

30# of drag is more than I think you will need. Unless you are some super man 30# of drag should be more than you can handle for any length of time. I'm sure 22-25# will be fine.

Gary

12. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

You guys are right.
    30pnd is more then enough I just wasn't sure if was meant to drop down from 40-44pns factory.
    It's definitely smoother which is what I was after.
    I fish 16pnd drag on my TLD 50 - Tiagra 50W so twice as much is more then I'll ever need.

13. jig

jig Senior Member

It kinda bothers me Shimano markets their spinners with all this heavy drag. If it is not usuable drag, and 44lbs that is jerky as hell is not usable, then its false advertising. Hell you could put in some concrete wafers that don't give at all and claim it had unlimited drag.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

It kinda bothers me Shimano markets their spinners with all this heavy drag. If it is not usuable drag, and 44lbs that is jerky as hell is not usable, then its false advertising. Hell you could put in some concrete wafers that don't give at all and claim it had unlimited drag.

Drag capacitys for spinners is misleading to begin with, the only thing preventing you from getting massive amounts of drag is how tight you can tighten the knob and if the knob can with handle the pressure. I have several Penn's with cracked knobs from trying to get more drag outof them.

d-a

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

My original saragosa knob never cracked and I yanked on it with it cranked all of the way.

16. FishingAddict

FishingAddict Member

Like everyone else had said it sounds like too much grease. Don't worry about the line lay, same thing happens to mine and I think just about everyone else's.

17. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Gozz, After you put grease on the washers, take a cloth and rub the excess off. You only want grease to sit down in the creaves(valleys) of the washer surface.

18. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Gozz, After you put grease on the washers, take a cloth and rub the excess off. You only want grease to sit down in the creaves(valleys) of the washer surface.

Thanks dude,I cleaned them the other night.
    Haven't had a chance to have a play but this weekend I'm going for the tuna so I'll let you know.

In the past 2 weeks 3 fish over 100kg have been caught where I'm going and countless fish over 60kg.
    All have been caught on TLD 50's apart from one on a 30 Tiagra.

19. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member